“Nice Interior Garden”
Review of Astoria Hotel

Astoria Hotel
Ranked #71 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Location right in the heart of the walking district - can't be beat for convenience - but there are no views. I was a little concerned over noise but my room was very quiet. Room size was typical (on small side) but comfortable. My room had a balcony overlooking the interior garden which was nice for sitting after a day out. Breakfast room was roomy and food choices a bit better than average.
I would return.

Room Tip: Rooms over looking the interior garden are the best - ask for 2nd floor and up.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Astoria Hotel

Reviewed May 16, 2013

The best part of this hotel is the location. Right in the heart of Sorrento. In the evening you could hear the opera singer coming through the window (from the restaurant nearby). My room (double) had a charming balcony that overlooked the equally charming courtyard of the hotel. The staff here were very nice and extremely helpful. It was also a last minute reservation and I happened to get a huge bargain (60 euros) for a mid week night.
If expecting a large room, you will not like this hotel. The rooms are very small. The bed was comfortable. The walls are paper thin and you must hope that your neighbours are fairly considerate. Even the flushing of their toilets sounded like it was happening in the room with me. I have a bit of a clean bathroom fetish, and this one did not pass. I had to wipe up a clot of hair from the floor, and I had to rinse out the shower (which did not drain well) before I used it. I also wiped out a coffee mug with the bathroom towel, and the towel went black. No coffee for me!
I saw a lot of reviews that complained of the breakfast, which confused me. This is very much like the breakfast I have had at many Italian hotels, so I am unsure of what the comparison is to...I'm sure that if you went out for a non complimentary breakfast you would get something better, but it had everything I needed, and my croissant was certainly not stale.
So, all in all, for the location and the price I would stay here again. Not expecting a 4*, but a 3*.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank cpallo
Reviewed November 19, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for a few nights during our honeymoon in Oct. The location cannot be beat here, it's right in the mix of all the shops and great restaurants, and a stone's throw from the ocean cliffs and great scenery. Our favorite restaurants were no more than 100 feet from the front steps of the hotel. Rooms were very clean and bathrooms nice and spacious. We highly recommend staying here and would easily book here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank jon w
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We booked 2 rooms and stayed for one night. The hotel is in good location, very close to the main square and other attraction. The rooms were nice and clean. The lobby though had lots of mosquitos, may be this is the problem with Sorrento. The breakfast was average.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank YingUSA
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Excellent location, reasonably priced for a hotel situated centrally. Trains, bus and ferries all within easy walking distance and shops and restaurants right on the doorstep. Rooms a little small but well equipped with plenty of storage. Bed comfortable and room clean. We found the staff helpful but in some cases a little unapproachable (but never rude).
Two irritations ..... we couldn't get wifi in our room, we had to sit in reception to use the Internet, and it would have been nice to have fresh coffee at breakfast, there was a push button machine which really wasn't very nice.
Overall though a convenient place to stay to visit Sorrento, the Amafi coast, Capri, Pompeii etc. Would stay at Hotel Astoria again.

Room Tip: Some rooms overlook a busy street in the old part of Sorrento so if you want peace and quiet ask to...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Maloak
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I judge hotels on how clean they are and how friendly. This hotel is immaculate. I felt at home the moment I entered my allotted room. Very clean. Massimo collected me in the shuttle bus from the drop off point and took my case right to my room. He refused a tip which I found really refreshing. Sweet man. Bit disconcerting being told your check out time on arrival but maybe they think you will not ask. This is such a small hotel that they know your room number before you ask for the key. I had read some bad comments about the breakfast at the hotel. Cannot understand this unless you expect an English breakfast. I have travelled extensively in Italy and what we received was the usual: breakfast cereals, boiled eggs, different cooked breakfast each morning, fresh fruit, cakes, toast, yogurts,croissants, meats. What more do you need? Valentina is a star member of staff who works so hard keeping all the items stocked on the breakfast buffet, tidying up and still a lovely smile for the patrons.
The night porter was another lovely member of staff and always happy to see you. Really sorry he was not working the last night as I wanted to say thank you. Hope his Roma team do well this year.
The location of this hotel is ideal. Just a short walk to the ferry and centre of town. I would advise a garden room as the street can be noisey on a night time. The garden is very clean but gets little sun and needs some citronella candles for the insects.
I found it inconvenient not having anywhere to sit out and sunbathe until a guest told me about the sister hotel Ascot where you could use their pool. I thought this should have been something the staff informed you about. Unfortunately the site of the building means the sun disappears at 2pm so just a short day by the pool. But it is free. The small balcony at the Astoria had the same issue.
If you are out on tours all day it will make no difference to you.
My only issue with this hotel was they had no courtesy room on the last day. I had to check out at 10am and had no where to change before my pick up at 5pm. Meaning I had to take a clothes change to a local restaurant to prepare for my flight. This made the last day a little awkward.

Room Tip: Garden view rooms. Nice lift to upper floors.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
5  Thank amandahep15
Reviewed September 30, 2012

The Astoria is in an excellent location, just 2 minutes walk from the main piazzo and less that 1 minute from the Corso Italia. There are dozens of bars and restaurants around the hotel.

The rooms are small, but have very comfortable beds and are exceptionally clean. We had a garden room with a balcony and this was very quiet both during the day and at night.

Breakfast as is pointed out in a lot of other reviews is of a poor standard. There is no fresh orange juice and coffee is dispensed from a machine. The selection of warm food consisted of scrambled eggs and bacon but to be honest this looked very unappetising so i didn't even attempt to try it.

The hotel staff are efficient, not overly friendly, but not rude either.

The Astoria is rated as 4 star but i would disagree with this - I'd say its a 3 star. It doesn't have the levels of luxury, service or breakfast I would associate with a 4 star hotel. Thats not to say its bad in any way, iI would highly recommend staying here, but I felt the star rating was optimistic.

There is no pool at the hotel however residents can use the pool at the ascot hotel, which is about a 10 minute walk away. The pool at the ascot is in shade most of the day but is sunny in the morning and is a nice pool which was quiet on the 2 occasions we visited.

Overall I would recommend the Astoria, as long as a great breakfast isn't important to you. I would stay here again is visiting Sorrento. I donlt think there is a better located Hotel in the town!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple