“Everything you could need for a stay in Sorrento”
Review of Astoria Hotel

Astoria Hotel
Ranked #71 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed June 19, 2011

,My friend and I have just returned from a 2 week stay in The Astoria. I would highly recommend it. The location is very central and was so handy for all the wonderful restaurants, shops and bars. The bedroom we had was bright and clean, well fitted out with built in wardrobes,drawers and counterspace. There was a good sized mirror for make up application and a full length mirror on the back of the door. A refrigerator, tv and tea/coffee making facilities were supplied at no extra cost. The bathroom was more than adequate. All rooms had balconies ours overlooked the pretty garden with orange and lemon trees. A splash pool was set up in the garden. And even though the lift was right outside our door we had no problem with noise. The staff were friendly and helpful and most had a good command of the English language. The maids were very pleasant and supplied clean sheets and towels every day. The rooms were cleaned thoroughly every day. An earlier review mentioned the waitress in the breakfast room, it was fairly obvious that the girl knew little English (why should she, she's Italian after all)but we found that anything we asked for eg more brown bread(delicious!) she provided it. Perhaps if visitors took the time to learn a few basic words of the Italian language there would be less cause to complain. The staff work very long hours and work very hard, they should be treated as you would want to be treated. The breakfast had a lot more choice than in some hotels I have stayed in, it is after all a continental breakfast if you want a full English or an Ulster fry don't holiday in Italy. We had a great time here and cannot wait to return to the Astoria.

3  Thank Hazlo
There are newer reviews for Astoria Hotel

Reviewed June 19, 2011

A group of 19 of us stayed here for two nights in June as part of a school group tour of Italy. The location was outstanding, just one block over from the Corso Italia shopping street. The hotel was clean, modern, and charming. I would definitely stay there again on future visits to Sorrento. This was my fifth visit to Sorrento in the past fifteen years and this hotel is my favorite by far.

Room Tip: Room 120 has a wrap-around balcony!
1  Thank latinteacher66
Reviewed June 16, 2011

Myself and my husband stayed a the Astoria Hotel for one week from the 29th May until the 5th June 2011. The hotel is ideally located right in the centre of the old town of Sorrento. We could not fault the location or the cleanliness of the hotel however we were very disappointed with the room. It was very small, room 140 located on the ground floor overlooking the courtyard. The main issue was the noise coming from the rooms beside us, there was no noise from outside just within the hotel. We could hear people talking, toilets flushing, people using the toilet!! people having showers, using hairdryers. Our bed was back to back with the bathroom of room 138. Every morning like clockwork our neighbours got up at 5:30am and I am not exaggerating when I say we could here everything going on in that bathroom!! Is it that difficult for a hotel to have good sound proofing between rooms? We didn't bother to complain to reception as we reckoned we wouldn't be moved anyway, we just used earplugs. The breakfast which was included in the rate was very poor, it was so bad we didn't bother having breakfast. The croissants were not fresh, tinned peaches, processed meat, a few yogurts, bread, cereal, juice, tea and coffee. I think the hotel could offer a much better selection for breakfast. Would I stay here again? "No" it really does depend on the room you are allocated. We went with Topflight who apparently have had no complaints about this hotel well I'm complaining. I would not recommend this hotel to a friend purely because of the experience we had. I would rather pay extra for a good nights sleep!

Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Savannah08
Reviewed June 16, 2011

Having read previous posters warning of noise from tour groups I emailed the hotel to ask for a quiet room near the top. I didnt get a reply despite writing in Italian - however they did do exactly as i asked and I was very pleased with my room. Right at the top at the very end of a corridoor. It was nice and quiet. However I can see that if you dont get something similiar there could be problems as it was used by tour groups. Mind you, my guess is, given the number of tour groups I saw in sorrento, so are many many other hotels.....its just that this is a small hotel so the impact may be worse. Breakfast was ok. The coffee was poor. The girl filling the gaps in food was surly and seemed forever out back despite tables being full of breakfast empties. The lady on the main desk was lovely and was a delight to encounter whenever we went in. Overall i would recommend, just. Plusses inc free internet in the lobby, tea making facilities, a fridge without £5 cans of coke filling every orifice and a safe. Another negative which i have just thought of was that the water came out of the shower at a dribble

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We are three ladies just back from a week in the Astoria in Sorrento. The bedroom was excellent we got three single beds which we requested and had plenty of storage space. The hotel was very clean and we got fresh towles every day. It is an absolutely lovely hotel and very central we were close to plenty of restaurents and bars. We would highly recommend the Astoria and hope to return some time soon.

Room Tip: We think any rooms on the 2nd or 3rd floor would .
3  Thank Erin38
Reviewed June 7, 2011

We have recently returned from a week-long stay at this lovely hotel right in the centre of Sorrento old town. We were a party of five: Us two, my mother-in-law, our friend and his 20-year-old god daughter. Between us we had 4 rooms – 3 doubles for single occupancy and a double for us. We were all more than happy with the accommodation. The rooms – although fairly small - were spotlessly clean, had plenty of storage space and all had a balcony with a table & two chairs (we overlooked the beautiful garden terrace). We all slept well in the comfortable, firm beds and the bathrooms had walk-in showers that were pretty good. There is a tube type hairdryer in the bathroom and toiletries provided are soap and sachets of shower gel. Each room had a tray with a small kettle and 2 mugs as well as a small fridge.
Luckily, the weather was glorious during our stay (23rd-30th May) and we used the aircon, which was quite efficient most of the time (one night we remained quite hot – but it was probably me not setting it correctly..)
The breakfast buffet – served from 7am to 10am - was nothing to write home about but it was adequate: yogurts (not always much choice), tinned peaches, salami, ham (ok, but not great), cheese slices, sliced tomato, croissants, bread rolls and sliced bread for toast, selection of jams, cereal, orange juice (not fresh) and a self-serve hot drinks machine. We didn’t like the coffee from the machine so we switched to tea, which was fine. There was also hot chocolate available from the machine but we didn’t try that. Breakfast can be taken on the first floor garden terrace if you want to carry it on trays in the lift or up a couple of flights of stairs – we did this on the Sunday morning and it was lovely. The scent from the jasmine along the railings was gorgeous (we bought an Italian jasmine plant the day after we got home and placed it next to our back door!). The garden terrace has beautiful ceramic tile ‘pictures’ and has flowers and fruit trees in abundance – it’s really pretty.
As well as the garden terrace on the first floor, there is a sunbathing terrace on the second floor, which has sun-loungers, patio chairs and tables. I think we may have been the first to use them this year – they were all just stacked up and needed a wipe over before use. I’m sure that in the summer season, this terrace & furniture will be kept as pristine as the rest of the hotel..
Free wi-fi is available. You just have to take your passport to reception and they set you up with a password for a 3-hour duration (and if your time runs out, just repeat the process, no problems). There is also a computer available for guests use in a little room off the lobby.
A special mention must go to Sandro who was on duty in reception on our last evening/morning. He was very helpful, ringing our driver for us (there was an unofficial strike planned by boatyard workers, which may have affected our airport transfer). Not only his help with that, Sandro made sure the breakfast buffet was available for us earlier than usual on our last morning – he was an absolute star!
Despite the hotel's most central location - surrounded by shops & restaurants - it was surprisingly quiet. The five of us all agreed – we would definitely stay at the Astoria again.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank maudsters
Reviewed June 2, 2011

Good location, clean hotel but i've never seen a 'hotel' room so small in all my life. In some respects it felt more like a hostel - especially when a group of American students seemed to be on hall patrol till 2 in the morning. Breakfast was ok, although when i asked the waitress for some glasses she looked at me as if i'd driven a stake through her heart - the atmosphere in the breakfast area was somber to say the least and i could not find a clean table as the waitress was moving so slowly as to clear one per hour - maybe the italian service industry could do with some Polish charm and smiles. The aircon gave up the ghost on the final night - so with the cramped room and the heat i felt as though i was being buried alive.

• Stayed: June 2011