“A class hotel in every sense of the word”

Grand Hotel Ambasciatori
Ranked #11 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed August 14, 2009

We have just come back from a week stay at the ambasciatori, where we also celebrated our wedding reception. What a week and what a hotel....

As this was our wedding we decided to shell out a little bit more than we would normally on a room and got a superior room with a garden view. However the garden view was more like a see view as as soon as we came out onto our balcony, you could see a large part of the sorrento bay and a fantastic view of the sea.

My wifes parents stayed a couple of nights for the wedding and they had a superior room with sea view. The view from their balcony was nothing short of breathtaking and I would recommend anyone to get one of these rooms if they could afford it.

From the moment we arrived the staff were extremely friendly and very very helpful. The manager Mr Savarese met with us to discuss any last concerns about the wedding. We soon discovered that they had everything well under control.

The staff that deserve special mentions are Carla and Stefano who were always willing to help with any of our queries. Thats not to say that the rest of the staff were not good, just that these 2 were really on the ball for us.

The brakfast in the morning was again a real treat. Unfortunately I could not always appreciate the breakfast due to being hungover but the days I wasn't I made the most of it. There is a chef that cooks your eggs, ommeletes and crepes infront of you to your requirements. The only thing I would say about the breakfast is that there is too much choice, but this is a problem I dont mind having.

The pool and the beach both provide a nice place to relax whether it is in the water or just on the deckchairs. Towels are provided by the hotel. You can grab a bit of lunch by the pool and at the beach as well and due to the location of the hotel it is very peaceful and quiet with very few kids around.

During and after our wedding we were made to feel very special by not only the staff but also the guests who had seen us in our wedding attire days before. People who we had never met before were coming up to us congratulating us. There was a very good atmoshpere in the hotel. Even the cleaning staff greeted you with a "bonjourno" and a smile every day.

Onto the wedding, well, what can I say. The hotel made this a day that not only myself and my wife will never forget but I'm sure our guests will never forget it aswell.

On arrival from our ceremony at the cloisters we were greeted by the manager and his staff at the main reception who led us down to the belvedere terrace for appetisers and cocktails. The back drop is breathtaking and nearly all our guests commented on the fact the setting wise this was the best wedding they had ever been too. It was about 6pm by this time so evening was beginning to draw in and it was perfect for our formal pictures.

We were next led on to vesuvio terrace where what I can only describe as a banquet awaited us. The first course was a mediterranean seafood fantasy followed by home made pasta with seafood. This were both exceptional in particular the home made pasta, the only problem was I was starting to get full and we had not even had our main course yet. The main course was the lamb which was again so good that it had to be eaten despite a now bulging waistline. Next was a beautifully presented fruit salad and finally the cake.

The waiters were again brilliant which is to be expected of the hotel. They constantly come round topping your glasses with both water and wine, the only problem with this is that its hard to keep tabs on how much you're drinking and when i got up to do my speech i suddenly felt a little tipsy :).

All in all the ambasciatori is an exceptional hotel that has provided us with some beautiful memories that we will hold forever.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank nicthegreek027
There are newer reviews for Grand Hotel Ambasciatori

Reviewed August 8, 2009

Firstly on arrival we were allocated an upgraded room as we requested a double instead of the twin. This room was delightfully furnished and spotlessly clean, but it overlooked the Hotel pool next door. This wasn't suitable, so I asked if it was possible to have an alternative, this was not possible as the Hotel was full. However my wife continued request a change. The following day we were offered two alternative rooms. We were very pleased to take up the offer of an upgrade to a garden and part seaview room at extra cost. ( we happy to pay this). The staff in reception were extremely pleasant and helpful, the food and restaurant staff were superb. We have travelled to parts of the world but never have we been so delighted with the food served at all meal times on every occassion as we were at the Ambasciatori. Everything about this hotel was brilliant, I wish we could have stayed longer. We will certainly return and recommend it to anyone.

1  Thank brynhaul
Reviewed August 5, 2009

We stayed here for our honeymoon during the last two weeks of July and had a fantastic time! The hotel and pool are clean and well maintained. The staff were wonderful - very helpful reception staff and brilliant waiters ( Guiseppe in particular) - nothing was too much trouble for them. We went expecting to eat out most nights but ended up staying in the hotel - the food was varied and they would also do you something different if you asked. The breakfasts were fantastic and there was plenty of everything. Our room had a fantastic view overlooking the sea and was cleaned thoughly every day. We would go back to this hotel in a flash ! Jo and Julian Townsend

1  Thank jtandjrt
Reviewed July 22, 2009

Stayed at Ambasciatori for the 6th time and it was better than ever. Can't really say anything against the hotel. The staff are excellent, food was much better this time. It is clean and well maintained. All in all our favourite hotel and will stay again.

1  Thank Eck1056
Reviewed July 19, 2009

Sorrento was the final stop on a two-week trip for my husband and I through Italy. We waited to really splurge until our last stop and we are glad we chose the Ambasciatori. We stayed here from 7/12-15, 2009 and we had a terrific stay. Our room was truly incredible. We booked into the doppa premier and were given a small suite on the second floor above reception (room 605). The room was absolutely huge with an initial sitting room with large window and flat screen tv, couch and chairs. Down the hall was a large bathroom on the right and then into our main room. Our room had huge french doors leading onto a small balcony with the most amazing view I have ever seen.

The beach (a dock floating on the sea) was great and the pool was beautiful as well. Breakfast was just ok, but in fairness, I have food allergies so it limits what I can eat. The only negative we had was the bar staff, one of which was rude. But we brushed it off as there are idiots everywhere.

The location was fabulous - less than a 10 minute walk into town (especially if you cut through the little park down the street) and the Circumvesuviana.

We can't recommend the Ambasciatori enough and we will be back!

1  Thank Brandie_in_Boston
Reviewed July 15, 2009

I know all of these reviews are personal preference but I really would strongly recommend that you look else where. Although the rooms and hotel was clean the overall hotel is very dated and shabby, the bath was very old and you would definatley only stand in it !!! Pool is extremley small and the bar area adjacent to it very 2/3 star !!! We paid for the top Prestige room which states will be on a high floor but we were only 1 abvoe reception with a remaining 2 floors above us, I asked on reception why we were not higher and she said that the rooms that were above were a grade lower than what we had, so dont waste your money on a higher room upgrade, reception were generally unhelpful. Finally the location of the hotel, it is about a 10 miniute walk into the centre of town which is fine but this is a busy road not a quiet road as once again described by the hotel, also more importantly it is an very unpleasant walk and it is not lit up at night. I forgot one more thing, the football stadium is directly opposite the hotel dont stay in the footie season !!!

3  Thank owenbouy
Reviewed July 11, 2009

It was our belated honeymoon and my first trip abroad so did not know quite what to expect. However, upon arriving to Sorrento and to the hotel we were greated and made to feel at home straight away. The room was perfect the views were breathtaking and the food was delicious. The service from all the staff was first class and excursions that we also went on were well organised and catered for. We met a lovely couple also on their honeymoon which finished off the holiday a treat. I did not want to leave and could have quite happily stayed there forever!