“Fantastic Hotel”

Grand Hotel Ambasciatori
Ranked #11 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Just got back from our first visit to this brilliant hotel. It exceeded our expectations in every area. The location is a dream, with fantastic views from the restaurants and gardens and from our sea- view room. The hotel is formal without being stuffy, with consistently good service from exceptional staff, in a relaxed atmosphere. We did some trips out during our week but spent longer than we'd planned simply relaxing in the hotel grounds, as it was difficult to tear ourselves away from such a fabulous place. We enjoyed all the food and drink, particularly the daily cocktails, and the weekly buffet meal served on the Belvedere Terrace was a particular treat. The hotel is furnished and presented throughout to a very high standard. We would definitely stay there again if we return to Sorrento.

Room Tip: It is definitely worth paying for a sea-view room - the views are amazing.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Richard F
Ambasciatori, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Grand Hotel Ambasciatori, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice review.
We are extremely happy that your experience at the Grand Hotel Ambasciatori exceeded your expectations and that you enjoyed your room and all our facilities; Thanks also on behalf of all the Staff , for mentioning their nice attitude.
We really look forward to welcoming you again,
kindest regards

Reviewed July 14, 2013

We had the best experience at this hotel. The location was wonderful and less than 10 minute walk to the shops and restaurants. Hotel staff was friendly and helpful. Breakfast was delicious and buffet had a wide variety of items available. Rooms were exceptionally clean. If ever back in the Sorrento area again, this hotel would be top on my list.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Your first time customer should be your life time customer.
I think most people would agree with that.
I have travelled the world since I was 18 and have stayed at all types of hotels.
I’m now 70, disabled (spinal damage) with other health issues and failing eyesight.
Over the last 25 years I have visited the Ambasciatori Hotel about 60 times and have spent roughly £100,000.00 pounds on those holidays.
I love the place, the hotel is lovely and recent renovations are top class, the gardens are beautiful and have a peaceful and serene feeling, the view is spectacular.
For a time it was a magical place with World class staff so professional but also friendly,
helpful and kind. Because of this it had a high rate of returning guests I think about 65%.

Two days after nine eleven I flew out to the hotel, 18 hours of chaos at Gatwick but I got there, other regular guests also returned at that time.. The next year when people were still saying I’ll never fly again all the regular guests returned. That is a great compliment to the hotel and staff.
Over the years I made many friends among the staff and guests and we are still friends to this day.
In 2005 I had visited the hotel about 40 times. the Owner had appointed a new manager. This bought about many changes, no silver service in the restaurant, plated meals, no desert trolley, lots of notices everywhere saying “Don’t do this” no flowers in your room on arrival, no welcome drink, being charged for fresh orange juice at breakfast the list goes on.
It was as if he wanted to make the hotel for Wedding Parties only and the guests were in the way.
I did complain but once I’ve said something then its over and I move on, I don’t think they have ever forgiven me…..I continued to return twice a year but only for a week at a time it wasn’t the same but the place is still lovely, Sorrento and the area is great and I have many friends there.

In Jan 2012 after 20 years the Beach Attendant was told he was no longer required. Such a shock to all returning guests many returned because of him, they knew how well they would be looked after, always, kind, helpful and nothing was too much trouble. He always got top marks on the guests review forms. Over the years this has happened to other staff members it seems if you have a team that works well such as in the bar, it has to be split up and if staff are not fired they are moved to other hotels.

In May 2012 I stayed at a different hotel. I went in to say Hello I saw the reservation manager who I have known since 1998 and all was normal and friendly, I stayed and had lunch by the pool and was told that as a non resident I would have to pay an extra 15% service charge and a further 15% charge on my food, prior to this visit I had stayed at this hotel around 57 / 58 times but they still charged me.

In Jan this year I e-mailed the reservations manager a nice letter hoping he and his wife were well, explained that I was 70 this year and wanted to celebrate my birthday at the hotel with English and Italian friends so please could he give me prices for B & B and also Half Board.
Paying the hotel direct means you pay when you leave not 2 months before having your holiday. This is the reply I received..

With reference to the request mentioned in your e-mail, we regret to inform you that we cannot be of any help and thus unable to satisfy your needs.

That was it, I’m now confused so I sent another e-mail saying I’m confused what is happening?
This is the reply

We are sorry for your disappointment but we cannot be of any help.

Now that is rude, unprofessional, does nothing for the reputation of the hotel and why would you do that. I then sent a rather more strong minded e-mail and did not get a reply at all. I’m a Taurean so this was red rag to a bull; no one tells me I can’t have the holiday of my choice. I got friends to e-mail and ask for prices when they mentioned my name they were ignored but if they didn’t mention my name they got replies. So clearly this was personal WHY I don’t have a clue as to what I may have done to cause this.

So for what was probably my 60th visit this May I booked 9 days B & B with a garden view room for solo use with a travel agent this cost me a small fortune around £270.00 per night and remember it was B & B.
My welcome from reception was uncomfortable the men were pleasant the ladies less so, I was in room 512 a lovely room, a nice bathroom I also had the balcony with the garden view. However, it was on the first floor over what can be a noisy terrace with a brick wall that jutted out into the garden on the right hand side so it was not possible to look to the right and see the sea or the peninsula, my most favourite view in Sorrento. I couldn’t say anything I got what I paid for but I was very very disappointed.

So starting with breakfast you now make your own tea and coffee, the area was messy with coffee dregs and tea bag wrappers lying around. Because of my disabilities the staff always lovely and helpful would carry it back to the table for me. A 4 star hotel and your making your own coffee not what you expect.

The best thing about the restaurant is the (inside) terrace with stunning views. You are a resident of the hotel BUT now if you want to sit out there you have a more expensive Al la Carte menu and you are charged an extra 15% service charge, I sat out there one night just to try it, I had one course which was good but very small, I poured my own drink and that cost me 40 Euros. . In the past as a single lady I always sat out there you just felt more comfortable. There is a regular guest from Austria who has visited the hotel as many times as me and she could not sit out there unless she paid the extra so she didn’t, not letting people who are elderly and have visited so many times sit where they are comfortable I think is mean spirited. I think it is outrageous to charge residents extra just to sit in a different part of the dining room. You also could not sit out there for breakfast it is roped off…. An other night I was in the main part of the restaurant and used the Salad bar and then discovered I’d been charged 17 Euros to use it - just the salad bar I have never been charged to use the salad bar anywhere in the world. . The new manager stands in the door of the restaurant both at breakfast and dinner just watching what is going on, you feel like you are being spied on and the atmosphere in the dining room is more like a morgue than a holiday venue.

I was sent 6 e-mails from friends wishing me a happy birthday and holiday, I only received one. You only get a robe and slippers if you pay top price, there are no tea and coffee making facilities in your room, nor is there an iron or board, they say its re Health and Safety but a hotel up the road provides them. They want you to use Room Service and the Laundry service which is very expensive. I asked for a robe and did get it but no slippers came with it. It’s seems it’s all about money and nothing else matters.

The restaurant, bar and housekeeping staff are all lovely and so helpful but professional at all times. Food is good. Food by the pool is excellent. The hotel is spotless. Weather was appalling but I had a lovely holiday and visited my favourite restaurant and also visited and was taken out by many of my Sorrento friends and had a surprise birthday party, also some lunches by the pool, one of my favourite things. ., The holiday was slightly spoiled by the attitude of only a very small number of staff mainly on the management side there was just an unpleasant atmosphere and felt as if I was being watched all the time, my imagination I’m sure.

I’m very sad to think I may never go back, clearly I wasn’t welcome before I did this review so I doubt they will be pleased when they read this. I love the place and will always miss it. The hotel management know me and know that I always tell the truth even if it works against me. Plus I’ve always kept diaries from a child so I can go back and identify what happened and when things happened. I just don’t know what I did to get the rude e-mails and to be made to feel so uncomfortable in a place that normally feels like home to me.

If you go there have a great holiday it’s a wonderful place and Sorrento is a lovely town, just avoid the management.

In London I visit three four star restaurants regularly they are the Portrait Restaurant, Harrods Georgian Restaurant and Flemings Grill in Half Moon Street. On arrival I always get a lovely welcome, a kiss from the Maitre’d and a complimentary drink sometimes two. They say
A returning guest is a welcome guest, again I think most people would agree...

Helen Wilson. (nickname Regina Giovanna).

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank RegGiovanna
MannielloHotels, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Grand Hotel Ambasciatori, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear Customer,

first of all we would like to thank for your feed back left recently on the web site “Trip Advisor”.

We always accept, pleasantly, criticism and comparisons when these are helpful and make us improve.

This time, however, we would like to clarify a few things without going into details in order to avoid to make this discussion personal and useless.

The Grand Hotel Ambasciatori is one of the most luxurious hotels in Sorrento and it is on business since many years, winning often, awards for the high standard of facilities provided, witnessed with great appreciation by our customers coming from all over the world.

This is also confirmed, as underlined from yourself, that most of our customers are used to come back year after year. Their appreciation is easily knowable from hundreds of positive reviews left until today on “Trip Advisor”.

During the past years our reviews have been always positive due, even to the improvements that our customers have found, since during the past two years our Hotel has been subject to an almost total renovation both in the Hotel and in the increase of the facilities provided.

One of the reasons why we are recognized as a company that offers hospitality of the highest level is due to the professional ethics and the treatment provided for both new and returning guests.
Whether a customer stays one night or hundreds our main aim is that they receive the same treatment without any distinction. It is not money that makes the difference between a customer and another.

It is quite evident that your complain refers to some particular requests that we could not fulfil (like asking to get a double room for single use at the cost of a single room).

We do not like controversy but considering ungrateful your judgment, we feel obliged to defend the name of the Hotel and the sacrifices of the whole Staff who day after day working with spontaneity and pleasure try to make our customers’ stay as pleasant as possible not relating their work to the money paid by the customers. ( fundamental rule of the hotel that you should know ).

We thank you for your confidence in so many years and we regret not being able to meet your several demands that for such many years we have fulfilled.

The Management

Reviewed July 13, 2013

I stayed and had my wedding reception at the grand hotel ambasciatori in june and I had a beautiful wedding reception and a fantastic stay at this hotel. The staff were very helpful and always very friendly. I had been in contact with Giuseppe who is the food and beverage manager for a year prior to our stay because we were arranging the wedding reception and I found him to be a very helpful man before I had even met him. When I did finally meet with him he was just as I had thought and was very helpful and made all the planning very easy and had some great ideas. The wedding in june went off just how we had wanted and we will cherish those memories of the beautiful wedding reception forever. We stayed at the hotel for 5 nights in total and we had a lovely stay and my husband and I will definitely be returning for our first year wedding anniversary. The room we stayed in was beautiful with a stunning sea view and the breakfast every morning was one of the best and most varied breakfasts I have had a hotel. All the staff were very friendly and helpful and we cant wait to go back. The hotel is also in a great location and in my opinion one of the best areas of Sorrento.

Room Tip: Any sea view room because the views are amazing

Dear Guests,

Many thanks for sharing your experience on trip advisor.
We are proud that the Grand Hotel Ambasciatori has been the perfect setting for your wedding day and we are glad to be part of your good memories.
Thank you also on behalf of Giuseppe, for the nice words you spent for him.
We wait for your return on your First Wedding Anniversary

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Could not fault this hotel, our room,the staff, the service or the facilities. Great pool and gardens and wonderfull private beach overlooking the bay off Naples. Views were stunning from the wonderfull top class Restaurant and terrace.Just a short walk to the centre of the picturesque Sorrento town which is packed full of great places to eat and visit. Perfect hotel to relax and wind down and in a convenient location to explore the stunning islands that the bay of naples and the Amalfi coastal towns can offer.

Room Tip: Our room was first class which was a side view room overlooking the garden.
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your nice words.
We all do our best to achieve excellent results, but to tell you the truth, we are also privileged, as our hotel sourrounded by a beautiful garden, overlooking the sea and at only 5 minutes walk from the center of Sorrento, is actually located in a position which is strategically perfect.
Kind regards

Reviewed July 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel in 2012 and have just returned after another amazing stay because why would you go anywhere else when you have everything you need here. The view from the dining room and terrace is breathtaking, whether it's breakfast overlooking the glistening blue bay or the evening with the twinkling lights of cruise ships and Naples in the distance. The staff are first class and are so attentive to your every need, whether it's a cold drink on the bathing platform or recommending a superb local wine at dinner. We chose to book half board because the food is SO...good, again why walk down to the centre of Sorrento when you can sit in the beautiful spacious gardens with a pre-dinner drink and relax. We can't wait to return.

Room Tip: We were lucky in 2012 as we had a bedroom overlooking the pool of the hotel next door, this year unf...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ambasciatori, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Grand Hotel Ambasciatori, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear Guests,

Thank you for been with us again.
We are glad to learn that once more we met your expectations, and that you enjoyed again the view from the dining room with the lights of cruise ships, the sea and the lights of Naples in the distance. It is definitely a breathtaking scenery, which never fails to fascinate also the natives.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Still at the hotel but wishing I was not.
Our idea about this hotel for the last five years is quiet, stress free relaxation. This hotel in anything but that this year.
An influx of children in a hotel we always believed was not suitabe for children has occurred and has forced us to be pushed out ofan area of the hotel we enjoy but cannot take the noise. The parents dont really care. They are hear for only five days and so why should they. I remember being told to play quietly as a child...I guess something has changed.
The road by the hotel makes the pool area noisy. mainly caused by motorbikes and scooters racing by.
So one would hope for peace in the room but that has gone also. I am not sure whether the door slamming that happens day and night is due to stupid selfish people or automatic door closers being poorly maintained and allowing the door to slam. The noise has to be heard to be believed.
We have spent the last days out of the hotel, as dont really want to be here any more, looking for hotels for next year. Sorrento is a great place to come to so just ned a different hotel.
The food is superb and the resturant is well run by the Maitre d Hotel who is a lovely person and is a credit to the hotel as are his staff.
Sadly the Food and beverage Manager named Gusieppe is not so good. Whilst he may good sat his job he allowed all of his bars to be unmanned including the bathing platform as a potential medical issue began. When challenged he assured me alòl his bars were fully manned but having just raced round them all that was most certianly not the case. Calling your customer a liar is not clever. The man on the bathing platform is the lifeguard and yet was awy from his post for nearly 45 minutes.
So sad this our last time...

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank happytraveller55880

Dear Guest,
We're sorry that this year your holiday has not been as beautiful as the other years.
It is true that this year, in the Hotel, there were some children, all pretty lively.
Many times we asked to stay calm and more than once we asked the parents’ cooperation, but … as you said, they are young as we were, and certainly we can not and do not want to prevent families with children to come to Sorrento.
Regarding the inconvenience occurred with the food & beverage Manager, there must have been a misunderstanding, and we are sorry you didn’t give us the opportunity to clarify and apology, whilst you were still here, but you preferred to review negatively your experience instead; We would never, ever allowed to miss of respect; it would not be polite and professional on our part.
On the other hand if it was not like this, we wouldn’t receive so many positive comments towards our Staff.
However we do apologize if you felt offended, but allow us to repeat that it was just a misunderstanding.
We hope to welcome you again in the future,