“Good lunch place on the beach”
Review of La Kambusa di Leonelli - CLOSED

La Kambusa di Leonelli
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Good lunch place on the beach”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Take the lift down to the beach to avoid a long flight of steep steps from near the Cathedral of St Francis in Sorrento and walk to the end, to the left. Here you will find Leonelli's Beach Ristorante. It's informal and friendly. (The waiter tried to improve our pronunciation and we all enjoyed the laugh!) Reasonable choice on the menu - mainly seafood, pasta and pizza. It was on the boardwalkl overhanging the sea. The waitiers threw unused bread into the water and great entertainment was had by many fish competeing for the scraps - devoured in minutes. Good overhead shelter from the hot sun.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank Douglas W

• Turkish first
Kent, Ohio USA.
“Fantastico!”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

We stayed in Sorrento 6 nights and ate here every night! We had eaten here 4 years ago, and including this trip, have never ordered off the menu.
We love seafood, and they specialize in that. Our experience here has been enhanced by the fact that we became friends with Carmine the owner, and Vincenzo and Romano the waiters.
I hesitate to give a review since this is the best kept secret in Sorrento. Several people we met while in Sorrento received our recommendation and already ate there.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank DavidandJean69
WV
“A Great Secret”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Every time we come to Sorrento we can't wait to eat here. I feel like the prices are very reasonable especially for the incredible food you are getting. Just be open to the food, you're in a place where they cook what is fresh to the region you're in. Which I think is wonderful. If you don't like fish, don't eat by the sea. It's that simple. You have a great view of the marina and everything is very relaxed. The owner also has the B & B Casa Correale which is great for the convenient location and the price.

• Visited June 2012
London
“Very good food, but beware of the size of the bill!”
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I have decided that my new rule is always avoid any restaurant where the staff or owner actively try and encourage you to eat in their restaurant.
The manager was extrememely friendly as it looked good and was quite empty at the time we decided to have dinner here. Obviously because it was so quiet, we had the almost undivided attention of the manager and also seemed to attract the interest of the kitchen staff.
My wife really only wanted a plate of pasta, and doesn't really like seafood or fish that much, but we were "guided" by the manager to try the local pasta and sauce in a small portion, and he was also suggesting the Snapper cooked in a salt crust.
The menu was then taken away and from then on we were in the hands of the manager. I cannot fault the food, it was delicious. They brought us Foccacia with the best tomatos we had all week and then the local pasta, mine with a lovely seafood sauce and my wifes with amatricianna sauce, bacon, tomato and basil and although a very small taster portion was delicious. Then the fish was brought out and there was a fish each, despite the fact that we had said that my wife was not that keen on fish. However it was very good, although a little too salty (which could also be said of the rest of this chefs food!) We had a lovely bottle of red wine and I ended it with a coffee and we were given 2 complimentary limoncello's. However, we then were given the bill and it was 92 euros. The fish alone was 53 euros. I know I should have enquired up front or questioned it after, but I didn't like to make a fuss and as the menu had looked reasonable, I expected to pay about 60 - 70 euros. So in summary as I said the food is very good, but make sure you are not led to have more exoensive food than you might want.

• Visited October 2012
Dublin, Ireland
“terrible service”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

somewhat surprised by the positive reviews of this place but maybe we caught them on a bad day. the chap who took our order ended up sitting down at another table with locals who appeared to be his friends so perhaps he was distracted. ordered a basic lunch of pizza and chips. food took a good while to come out and when it did there were no chips with it. didn;t bother asking for any as by the time they would have come out i would be finished pizza. girlfriend ordered a plate of fresh fruit which waiter took down but then completely forgot about. she went up to another waitress to ask here where it was and she was told it was cooking! she tried to explain to the waitress that fruit isn't supposed to be cooked but the waitress looked at her like she had two heads and just walked off. about 10 minutes later she came down and just slammed the bill down on the table as though she was proving some kind of bizarre point. sadly the fruit never came. it was the only place in sorrento that we didn't tip. wouldn't go back.

• Visited September 2012