“Great tour of Sorrento peninsula”

City Sightseeing Sorrento - Day Tours
Ranked #52 of 148 Tours in Sorrento
London, United Kingdom
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Great tour of Sorrento peninsula”
Reviewed August 7, 2014

We chose the hop on, hop off tour of Sorrento peninsula NOT the coast-to-coast trips which receive such negative feedback. The cost was reasonable at E12 for adults and E6 for children (our 4 year old was free). Because it was forecast to be a hot day, we decided to take the first tour of the day as our sons wanted to sit on the upper deck. The bus was a few minutes late even at the second stop, but the traffic means that has to be expected.

We were given headphones for the audio tour and these worked fine. The commentary was clear and consistent. The views along the coast were stunning and we had a chance to get off for pictures at one stop, before hopping back on. Don't lose these - you don't get another pair if you get off during the trip and rejoin later! We rode a full cycle and then a partial route to get off at an interesting looking spot we had seen during the tour.

When it got too hot, my husband and sons went downstairs to enjoy the rest of the trip in air conditioned comfort.

The driver was considerate, slowing and pulling over a couple of times to allow built up traffic to pass. The only downside (and reason for not giving 5stars) was that on our second cycle, the driver was dropping a lady at various sites along our route a d waiting while she delivered things to the hotels. Some were scheduled stops and some weren't, so this became a nuisance. We got off at the 4th stop so I am not sure if this continued throughout the cycle. However, later in the day when we caught the bus back to the stop closest to our hotel, the driver spotted the lady walking along the road and pulled over to chat to her again!

Overall, I would recommend and the earphone commentary means people are not disturbed by the occasional chatter of other guests.

Visited August 2014

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“€16 from Sorrento to Amalfi NOT 8EURO as advertised”
Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

This left me feeling annoyed today and I tried not to let it spoil my trip. I've used this hop on hop of service in Italy and other countries and it didn't charge you for getting on and off. I don't mind paying for tours as long as I know what I'm paying before hand. It seems a little underhanded and I have asked the company to change their advertised pricing so we shall have to wait and see. Until then I won't be using their services anywhere.
The tour in itself was ok, the audio was poor but there was air con and plenty of room.

4 Thank Clare M
Manchester
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“No organisation and no guarantee you can get back on the bus”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

We got off at the 1st stop in Positano. We then had trouble getting back on the bus to continue to Amalfi. Everyone queued in a line, when the bus pulled up, it only had a few seats. The bus stopped at the back of the queue and the guide let them queue jump! Disgusting as it's 1 hour until the next bus.
We did manage to get the next bus, but this was only after telling the guide that we were waiting in the previous queue.
Getting back from Amalfi was almost as bad. The queues were again a nightmare. The guide tells the queue to wait on one side of the road, but people start queue jumping again.
We were lucky really, but I can see someone on a previous review wasn't quite so lucky and got stung a very expensive taxi bill.

Visited June 2014
4 Thank sunshiyne
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Left stranded in Positano”
Reviewed July 5, 2014

We decided to go on the hop on hop off tour to Positano from Sorrento. We didn't have time to go all the way to Amalfi, so we thought this shorter trip would be a good option. Our journey there was disappointing as the audio commentary failed to work. We arrived and spent a pleasant 2 hours in this pretty town. Problems occurred when we wanted to get the bus back to Sorrento; all of the buses returning from Amalfi were full and we were left stranded on the side of the road along with many other tourists. After many unanswered questions to the tour representative, and 2 hours waiting time we asked her to book a private taxi that took 18 of us back to Sorrento for 200 euros. This company showed no customer care and I would strongly advise not to get caught out in the same way.

Visited July 2014
7 Thank Catherine D
Exeter, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“The city trip excellent but don't use for Positano!”
Reviewed June 28, 2014

We really enjoyed the open top city tour so we tried the coast to coast tour. Beautiful scenic journey to Amalfi and we stopped off at Positano on the way back. However it was impossible to get back onto a bus back - we missed 3 because they were full and ended up standing on a packed Sita bus to get back to Sorrento. We would advise taking the boat back from Positano (but book early) and not relying on City Sightseeing for this.

Visited June 2014