“Comfort & Hospitality in the Heart of the Historic District”
Review of Maison Tofani

Maison Tofani
Ranked #14 of 100 Hotels in Sorrento
New York City, New York
“Comfort & Hospitality in the Heart of the Historic District”
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Maison Tofani is in the heart of the historic area of Sorrento; imagine cobblestone-lined alleys bustling with tourists, things to buy, and cute little restaurants. It's a great place to be if you plan on spending a lot of time in that area.

My mom and I actually saw two of their rooms, because we moved rooms on the second night (due to previous bookings; it wasn't a big deal); the first room had an adorable little balcony and a sloped roof. Both rooms were comfortable, quiet, and cool. We were there when Italy won their first World Cup game, and we barely heard the partiers on the street outside, haha.

Maria, one half of the couple who own the hotel, is the consummate gracious Italian hostess. She and her staff attended to our every need as if we were guests in her own home (which, I suppose, we were). Every morning we awoke to a breakfast spread like none I've ever experienced before: meats, cheeses, vegetables, eggs, ripe fruit, yogurt...it wasn't so much breakfast as it was all the best things in life spread out to choose from. I literally dream of that breakfast every day.

Everyone who works at the hotel is really nice. All our requests were taken care of, and as our trip was planned by an outside travel agency who plans cooking vacations (The International Kitchen), Maison Tofani had a bit of schedule-managing to do, and they did a great job.

One of the highlights was a wine tasting in the cellar of the hotel that was informative and really fun. We went expecting just wine and were treated to the most incredible spread of meats and cheeses! Overall, the hotel is fantastic. I would recommend it very highly.

2 Thank ebeth00
Dear Guests,
We hope to see you soon again at Maison Tofani. It’s with great pleasure that we read your words and your review about our hotel.
Thank you very much.

Maria D’Esposito

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Kent, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2014

This was our last stay after a week of staying in Pompeii and Capri. We were a little bit early for check in and struggled to find someone to start with as the office was closed, however after we walked upstairs we found Nancy and she kindly checked us in and had our bags taken to our room. We stayed in room 101 which was pretty huge. The bathroom was also big. I believe the booking said there was a view of the historical centre but we looked out onto a little side street with a bar and into someones apartment. It didn't detract from the room though.

Unfortunately there was some noise the next morning we believe from the bar below. Hammering from 6.30am for over an hour. I rang down to reception and after the person who answered couldn't understand me a very nice lady (the name escapes me, sorry) came to the room and apologised but said it definetly was not from the hotel.

The breakfast was very lovely. Lots of choice, arancini, pastries, vegetables, fruit, cereal and bread. Fresh cappucino and hot chocolate was also available. Maria the owner also very kindly bought over a home made birthday cake for me which was very thoughtful and yummy. Giovanni had also arranged the night before for a bottle of prosecco to be sent to the room.

The hotel is in a very good location right in the centre of Sorrento and one of the main shopping streets. We also ate at the hotel owned by Giovanni I believe on the Friday evening, La Lanterna, we had some drink vouchers the hotel kindly gave us.

Overall, a charming stay for our last night in Italia.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor if you are a light sleeper, as there was a bar below room 101.
2 Thank RachyA1989
Dear Guests,
I’m very glad that you had a pleasant stay at my Maison.
Thank you for your wonderful comments about the room, the breakfast and our painted ceilings.
We hope to see you again as soon as possible!
Together with my staff, I send you our kindest regards.

Maria d’Esposito
Duck, North Carolina
Reviewed June 20, 2014

Great location and excellent breakfast. Best breakfast that we had in Italy. Our room was comfortable and the staff was great. wonderful experience !!!! We would definately stay there again. Right in the center of all of the wonderful street shopping in Sorrento. Close to excellent restaurants !!

2 Thank Donna K
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2014

I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights toward the end of May. I am a frequent traveller and it has to be noted that this was the best experience so far. To say the staff 'welcome' you to the Maison is an understatement - they go over and above... Absolutely everyone I came into contact with was welcoming and really lovely...from the bell boy to the manager.
The room was large, very spacious and immaculate. The views were exactly what I imagined...right the centre of the pedestrianised zone. A special thanks to the lady who greeted us for breakfast - she spoke with such passion about the Maison as though it were her own home. Speaking of breakfast...overwhelming selection of sweet delights as well. The hotel also has two restaurants - both were fantastic.
I highly recommend Maison Tofani...you will not be disappointed.
On a last note, thank you to all at the Maison, I loved my stay and will most certainly be returning.
Saveena R

Room Tip: I had a room with a balcony - very spacious and great esp after a day out touring to simply relax, c...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Savs77
Dear Guests,
On behalf of the Maison Tofani staff, I want to thank you for your kindness and for your beautiful words. They make us feel gratified with our work!
We hope to see you again as soon as possible.
Best regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2014

Guided by positive Trip Advisor reviews we booked 7 nights in Maison Tofani in early June - we were certainly not disappointed. The characterful hotel is centrally located within the historic, pedestrianised old city with easy access to both the train station (for Pompeii, Hercalaneum, Vesuvius & Naples) and the bus station (for Amalfi Coast and Sorrento peninsula). Given the nature of the roads and the bravado of the road users (especially the scooters!), we were delighted not to have a self hire car. Although a little hesitant at first, we rapidly became confident users of the cheap and efficient local transport and this enabled us to escape the crowds when we fancied a change of scene - Monte Faito, even though the cable car was not working, was a particular favourite.
Maison Tofani itself was elegance personified. The room (203) was spacious, well appointed with modern fittings and quiet despite its central location. The breakfast was a highly civilised start to the day with good choice of fruits, cold meats and cheeses, hot dishes and homemade cakes accompanied by lovely coffee. All the staff spoke good English and were courteous and unfailingly helpful. Giovanni, the hotel manager, deserves special mention for his ability to recognise our needs and make well judged recommendations on what to visit and how to get there, what to avoid and where to eat. We found the two restaurants linked to the hotel (La Lanterna and L'Abate) both good value.
If you are not looking for a sea view or swimming pool, then Maison Tofani ticks all the other boxes

1 Thank Malcolm R
Dear Guests,
I read with pleasure that your stay at Maison Tofani, was greatly appreciated.
I hope to see you again and we count you as among our special guests.
I send to you our kindest regards.

Miami, Florida
Reviewed June 18, 2014

My wife and three sons stayed here for 2 nights during our stay in Sorrento. The hotel is centrally located in a street lined with shops and restaurants. We arrived via ferry and had no need for parking, which I believe is not available.
The rooms were very nice, with comfortable beds, nice bathrooms with good towels. They even had bathrobes available for each person. Everything was very clean and neat.
Breakfast was included and we had a huge selection from eggs, ham, cheese, quiche, fruits, cereal, yogurt, and plenty more. You can eat your breakfast in the dining room or on an outside terrace.
They had a library with many reading and guide books as well as the availability of a desktop computer.
The staff was very friendly and the manager, Giovanni, very accommodating and informative. His restaurant and tour recommendations were great. I would definitely stay here again.

2 Thank acostajorge44
Dear Guests,
On behalf of the Maison Tofani staff, we want to thank you and we are waiting for you here to have another pleasant stay.
Your review and your words make us very happy! They motivate us to always do better too.
We are waiting for you again.

STOCKPORT ENGLAND
Reviewed June 17, 2014

We were fortunate enough to spend eleven nights here.
Our stay was made so enjoyable by the friendliness and professionalism of all the staff.
Each morning we looked forward to the breakfast delights particularly the different daily selection of pastries and the excellent espressos. With full days out (two of which were arranged by Giovanni) it was a pleasure to return to the hotel and relax on the roof top terrace.

1 Thank JP17
Dear Guests,
I’m very glad that you had a pleasant stay at my Maison.
Thank you for your wonderful comments.
We hope to see you again as soon as possible!
Together with my staff, I send you our kindest regards.

Maria d’Esposito