“Amazing food, fantastic atmosphere”
Review of TavernAllegra

TavernAllegra
Ranked #24 of 292 Restaurants in Sorrento
Cuisines: Italian, International
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We went to Tavern Allegra just by chance and ended up having the most fun at dinner on our entire trip to Italy. The servers are warm and friendly. There is live music and they get the entire crowd going.--instruments provided too!! They take the time to talk to you and definitely do not push you out of the door when you are done eating. I think they only had one dinner service that night because we were there for well over 2 hours. We are a family of 5, my older two (17 and 18) loved it and my youngest(12) laughed and enjoyed every second. The food was great and the service even better. A little pricey but worth it.

1  Thank Lucy1967aaa
Write a ReviewReviews (1,358)

Reviewed August 18, 2013

This is our second visit to the Tavern Allergra and on each occasion it has been a perfect evening. The welcome is very friendly, we know Giuseppi from his time at The Michelangelo and he is a most attentive host. The setting is romantic yet great for parties and families too. The selection of food is extensive and fresh from the harbour or nearby suppliers. The dining is first class. The entertainment is an added bonus and gets everyone involved (with the use of some unlikely musical instruments). All the staff become involved and the rafters are lifted to the sound of both opera and popular music. Miss this little gem at your peril. Can't recommend it enough.

Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

So much fun! The best night of our trip! The food was beautiful and the atmosphere was incredible! The owner is just hilarious! Singing and storytelling all evening!! I'm quite musical so after reading reviews on this place I knew I had to go! You get to play the tambourine as all the staff sing! My boyfriend is so not into all that kind of stuff but even he couldn't help himself! He was joining in with his tambourine too! He loved it. Everyone should go here, it's an experience!

Reviewed August 16, 2013

Just a few words about myself since I think it's important everyone knows the type of reviewer I am: In my early thirties, urban, Latino, male, and American (from Boston). Now...onto the review:

We went here in August and my wife and I are on a Globus tour. We looked online and found this place (thanks Tripadvisor). Made reservations for 6. We found our friends seated early at 8 as we walked in at 8:15. There was a welcoming surprise (free bread - Bruschetta). Our friends already ordered and we did as well, but food came out together.

My wife got the Risotto shrimp and says it was 3.5 out of 5 stars. I had the mixed seafood which was paella...it was a 4 out of 5. Our friends really enjoyed their meals (steak and sea bass). The waiter cleaned up the fish pretty well and got most of the bones out. We ordered some red wine (Falanghina Dei Campi Fiegre). It went well with the meat. Although the food was good, let me stress that the service and the experience is what would make me want to come back.

During mid-course a guy comes out and introduces himself as "Adam" and asks our friend if she's Eve. Lol. Then says his name is Joseph and that he's the owner. He begins by hushing everyone and telling a story of the song he's about to sing. He does this several times as the guitarist in the background plays the music. He cracks jokes every now and then with the song lyrics. He's serenading everyone and even cuts a piece of steak and feeds one of our single friends. It's hysterical!!! After he gets done with singing one song he turns around, pats the guitarist on the back, and goes away, only to come back 5 minutes later.

To our surprise, as we begin to order dessert, they bring out instruments (only tambourines) and the customers start playing the beat. Then, the chef comes out and gets introduce, we all clap, and they start playing instruments. Next thing I know, I'm handed a instrument and everyone in the restaurant is all playing musical instruments! It's like we're all family! This was truly experiential dining at it's best. YOU NEVER FORGET NIGHTS like these! Even the waiter was going around playing an instrument and enjoying himself. The owner really had a wonderful personality and we all remarked how he really went out of his way to make that night such a remarkable experience.

We had our desserts: coconut cake (my wife really enjoyed), my pineapples were yummy with grand marnier, and our friend got chocolate gelati. The waiter comes up to me and says the bill is optional: You can pay with credit card or give me your wife and your meal is free. HAAA! I told him he could take my wife. The bill came out to be something like 220 euros for 6 people.

Just a tip, finding the restaurant can be a bit tricky because it is through an arch off a side street and you have to go down a long corridor. It's all the way at the end.

BOTTOM LINE: I'D RECOMMEND TO ALL FRIENDS AND GO BACK MYSELF AGAIN IF I EVER VISIT SORRENTO AGAIN.

1  Thank Jay D
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Thank you, TripAdvisor, for guiding us to this amazing restaurant. We received the warmest Welcome of all our restaurants during our 2 1/2 week trip in Italy. But not to stop here: Free welcome Prosecco and Bruschetta which were a hit. The owners/partners, all Italians from the area, did an amazing job attending to us and we had a great non-intrusive conversation with them, which made up half of the experience. And yes, the food was outstanding. Excellent+++.