“What a fun night”

Old Taverna Sorrentina Cooking School
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Would you like to cook just like an Italian chef? Are dreaming of cooking the fantastic dishes typical of the Mediteranian cuisine you sampled on your holiday? Thanks to the Old Taverna Sorrentina Cooking School these wonderful dishes won't hold any secrets for you.Chef Guglielmo Gargiulo offers different courses in his kitchen (situated the heart of the historical center of Sorrento) to enable you to learn how to cook like a real Italian chef. NOW COURSE Would you like to learn to make a true Italian ice cream? To be able to prepare numerous and tasty flavours in your own home? Thanks to our Cooking School at the Old Taverna Sorrentina, Italian ice cream will hold no secrets for you!
Reviewed July 14, 2013

We had a ton of fun at the Old Taverna Cooking School. Chef William was so accommodating to us. We learned a 4 course Sorrento Italian dinner and had a lot of fun doing it. Compared to a traditional USA cooking school, we did only a portion of the cooking/prep, but for a 3 hour course that included eating the meal, that was perfect (from reading other reviews, I think this is a fairly consistent theme in the cooking classes here). Be prepared to write down tons of excellent cooking tips (my wife and I both enjoy cooking and are not novices and we got tons of great tips). Chef William understands food and its basis and teaches throughout.

What you can expect - a fun night, great simple recipes to take home, a delicious dinner, and a very warm welcoming staff.

What not to expect - to prepare the meal start to finish or have a printed recipe (you need to take lots of notes).

I think the mixture of hands on prep, observation and eating was just right. I woulds recommend this without hesitation to others.

1  Thank Made4Golf
in 7 reviews
"from scratch"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed June 18, 2013

A cooking lesson at the Old Taverna Sorrentina in the heart of the pedestrian area of Sorrento is an exceptionally enjoyable way to spend a late afternoon and evening. The chef/instructor William (Guglielmo) is engaging and makes the experience so much fun, and the recipes and techniques are very practical. The class is very much hands-on, and we made seven different items ranging from bruschetta to tiramisu. Afterwards, we enjoyed the fruits of our labors at a delicious dinner accompanied by abundant wine. The class is inexpensive compared to other cooking schools in Sorrento, and by far the most enjoyable and useful one. Chef William offers other classes, too, which I will definitely take the next time I return to Sorrento. Be sure to ask to see his wine cellar and back room store. This is an experience not to be missed, even if you're a novice in the kitchen!

1  Thank vailkat
Reviewed June 9, 2013

We had such a great evening at the cooking school. Chef William is not only very knowledgeable but a lot of fun to spend time with. We were a small class of 7 people and we all got to be hands on with most of the dishes we made. Chef William teaches you how to make a lot of different dishes in a 5 hour class. When everything is made, the students head upstairs to a private dining room that is all set and ready for you to be served all the food you just prepared. The evening also included a continuous refill of wine with your meal. It was a memorable evening and we would definitely take another class with Chef William again. Highly recommended!!!

1  Thank CarolfromVermont
Reviewed May 28, 2013

William does a terrific job engaging his students and explaining the "why" behind his techniques. We had a class of 7 and the space was perfect to observe, do and try. After the class we had family dinner in an intimate dining room and enjoyed the Taverna's wonderful wine. My husband and I happened upon this gem the night before and signed up after talking to someone who had taken the course and joined her the next night. It was an experience in cooking, eating, and meeting others in a great setting. I have already made the starter plate and will absolutely make the homemade pasta.

1  Thank Love2runSeattle