“The best sleep I ever have in a hollyday.”
Review of Villa Giovanna

Villa Giovanna
Ranked #68 of 134 Sorrento B&B and Inns
Bucharest, Romania
“The best sleep I ever have in a hollyday.”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Despite of an unpleasant situation that we were sent to another hotel on our first night, because of a situation of overbooked accomodation, the second night of our vacation of 7 days, I received for compensation one of the best rooms, sea view, second floor, balcony. The other room was at the ground, and also was ok. The only noise was from the opening and closing the doors. Otherwise, it was perfect. The green yard, the pool, where our two kids swam almost everyday, everything is much better than the pictures show. We have receive from Laura a reccomandation for a trip to Capri, which was also great. The parking was never overloaded, always we found a place. I give 5 stars, because I think, sometimes it happens not to be as you like, regarding our firs night, but after all, I forget everything and I regret that I didn't stay a few more days there. If I wiil ever return to Sorrento, I will go back to Villa Giovanna.

Room Tip: Rooms 111 and 112 are the best.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Asethi_13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Turkish first
Italy
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This guest house is not easy to find, as other reviewers have stated, but all you need to do is ASK at the neighbouring Johanna hotel and they point the way, no problem! We drove here, so parked our car on the grassy patch outside free of charge. The grounds of the guesthouse are maintained constantly and as a result look beautiful. The pool, although small, more like a plunge pool, not a swimming pool, as I could only do 4 breast strokes to the other side! Despite this, it's wonderful and refreshing on a hot day. The water is not heated, so yes, it is cold, but this is a good thing in the summer heat. The view from the edge of the pool is wonderful too. Our room was located on the ground floor with a small terrace outside and a couple of chairs, but at night we sat elsewhere in the grounds on some very comfy rocking deckchairs. Our room was a decent size, as was the bathroom and the small fridge was great as we had brought some wine that needed chilling. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and found it extremely relaxing. There is a bit of noise from the traffic on the main road, but it's really not that intrusive at all, once the cicadas started chirping, you couldn't hear it anyway! There is also a bar in the grounds where you can buy drinks, the only thing that was missing that I would have liked was some sort of snack bar, or daily lunch, maybe a pannino. Having said that, it's not a 5 star hotel. it's a B&B. I think for the €70 a night we paid, it was well worth the price, you get what you pay for!.I personally would go back again and would not hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Abruzzorentals
Värmdö, Sweden
Reviewed June 28, 2013

My family and I just came back after having spent 6 Days in Sorrento. We stayed at Villa Giovanna and enjoyed it, the pool area was well proportioned to the number of rooms (even if the pool water was a bit cold). Our beds were made every day and even the bed linen was changed regularly, so were the towels. Considering the environment this might not be the best thing to do, but it gave a clean and tidy impression.

The distance to town and situation up hill turned out to be less of a problem that we originally thought. It gave us a good opportunity to exercise and a nice walk both downhill and uphill. If anything, we would have liked the opportunity to have lunch or dinner "at home", but since Hotel Johanna was situated just 50 meters away and offered meals, this wasn't such a big issue. Once we got a grip of the approximate time table (in Italy, all time tables are approximate...) for the shuttle, this turned out to be an excellent service.

If you're looking for a nice place to stay with a familiar and - in my opinion - genuine Italian interior, this is it. If you're looking for high hotel standards and services and luxurious interior, this isn't it, it's as simple as that.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Susanne_Fredholm
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I stayed at Villa Giovanna between 15-23 June 2013.The communication before I arrive was good.Laura sent one of her employee to pick me up from the train station when I arrived late afternoon on 15.I was allocated room 201 for that night, and Laura told me I would be able to change the next day if I did not like it as I was staying a week.I'm glad I could as it is a nice room with fantastic view but right in front of it are some metallic stairs that other people would use to come to breakfast in morning or get to their own room which is quite noisy. I was allocated room 110 for the rest of my stay, where I gained a small fridge - most useful to keep goods for picnics and fresh water. It was generally a nice comfortable room, but for the very noisy air con from rooms next door, which kept me awake the 1st night. The buffet breakfast is varied: juices, coffe/tea, eggs (boiled or omelette - you can ask for fried eggs), homemade cakes, croissant, bread, ham, cheese, fruits...If you stay at the B&B, which has a small pool and nice garden, you can enjoy lunch there - but be aware no diner is provided; you will have to go down to Sorrento each nightfor this. The small problem in the layout is that the pool area is near the main entrance and the Nostra Verde, which is the main road between Sorrento to Sant' Agata and the Amalfi Coast - it is hidden by plants and tress, but that is not enough to cut down the noise of traffic. Also between the sunbeds and pool is the main passage to reception and the employees are always very active... So for me this was not ideal to relax, and I preferred the garden part a bit further...Villa Giovanna is located in the garden of the hotel Joanna Park, which has a free shuttle to go to and from Sorrento that guests are able to use. Well if you fit with the hotel guests schedules that is, but I did not have a problem using it (mainly to come back up in the evening).The family also own a restaurant in Sorrento, where I ate once and I can recommend going (they'll get somebody to pick you up and drive you back if you ask). All in all, Laura and her staff are very nice and always prompt to help and give you information (they can suggest tours etc if you want), and the B&B is conveniently located both for Sorrento (i.e. access to trains to Pompei etc) and the Amalfi Coast (some Sita buses stop right in front of the B&B). It is good value for money and I would recommend staying there if you want to go around and visit the peninsula. However, if you really need peace and quiet to relax, I would recommend staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room in the main building and avoid 201 - unless people going up and down a met...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Milan, Italy
Reviewed August 27, 2012

The hotel is ideally located away from the traffic of Sorento, on a hill in a middle of lemon trees. Our room has a fantastic view on Sorrento bay and the room was very clean and had everything we needed. The prices usually in Sorrento are high and the prices for Villa Giovanna was very reasonable and we felt very welcomed. The breakfast was of good quality with loads of different choices and items varying every day

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Sorrento is not a cheap place for accommodation so we ended up here as we needed 2 rooms for our family of 4. We stayed for 4 nights.
This place is near impossible to find - you go to the Johanna Hotel and get directions to drive down the road a bit - but you will not find a sign with a hotel name or an address anywhere. Frustrating to waste a bunch of time searching for your hotel when you have just driven through Sorrento (a nightmare in its own right).
When we checked in, we got rooms, not side by side as requested, and our kids' room smelled very musty. The night person was very friendly and helpful but the manager he called did not offer a room better than a similar room with a double bed (not 2 twins). Usually when a place makes a mistake they upgrade you, but not this one. We also asked why the hotel's website provided a higher rate than Booking.com (which we only looked at to try and get directions to our missing hotel) and they gave some lame excuse. After 2 nights, they moved our kids to a better room that still smelled a bit musty but had 2 twin beds. At the end of the day, even with the room downgrade, they did not offer a discount.
Our rooms were supposed to have bar fridges and we had to ask several times, even though they said one would be delivered soon. We only got a fridge when our kids were moved to a new room that had a fridge in it already.
The rooms are not particularly clean - cobwebs, dirt in the corners, chipped plaster, bidet did not work properly - but the beds were clean and the bathrooms were fine. We fully participate in the don't wash towels unnecessarily routine, but when our towels were soaking wet and left in the tub for replacement, they were not changed. This was the only place we stayed in our 3.5 weeks in Italy that was not up to cleanliness standards.
The shower flooded the bathroom floor, which would have been ok if the drain was functional in the floor.
Breakfast was the saving grace with an energetic cook making eggs and bacon or omelettes or whatever you wanted and a pretty good spread of typical Italian foods. We were dismayed at the lack of fruit, however, as it was readily available and local (we bought lots at the local stores).
The pool is a micro dipping pool but sitting by it and looking out at the view was relaxing.
It is a 15 minute walk to Sorrento via the trail and a sweaty 20 minute walk back.
We were surprised at the number of people burning vegetation as there was lots of smoke in the air and it really diminished the view and enjoyability of the area.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel. Watch for musty rooms.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank WithFamilyWillTravel
Helston, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 1, 2012

We booked this two weeks before we went so got a good deal, but still weren't expecting it to be half as good as it was! It's in the same bit of land as Johanna Park Hotel, which you can get regular buses to from the town centre, taking ten minutes or so. Staff couldn't have been more friendly and it had the most stunning view over a lemon grove, straight over the bay. The room's were very clean and comfortable as well as being nicely decorated, with tons of character. It had an infinity pool which looked lovely but unfortunately it being early April wasn't quite warm enough for us to brave it! It was in a very ideal location for Sorrento and had a direct train link to pompeii which was handy for us. We are planning to go back at some point and would definitely recommend!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple