“Do not stay here”

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Salerno
Chicago, Illinois
“Do not stay here”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We had arrived a day early for our pre paid visit to this hotel. The desk clerk was extremely rude (female - did not catch her name). The room was hot and humid. They refuse to put the air below 25 degrees C, even though you are able to change it on the controls, they control it form the desk in the lobby. I requested it to be lowered, and they said they would lower it. Three hours later we were still roasting in the room. I called them back and said that I requested they turn the air down. He gave me the speech (famous in Italian hotels) that there was a mistake and that it would cool off soon. Of course it did not. I called again and only said, "yes Hello, I just called" and was hung up on by the rude man (this time). I called back and they picked up and hung up. Then I called one more time and they picked up and said, I have no more rooms if you just wait until tomorrow (another famous speech in Europe). To which I replied, "If it is not resolved tonight I will be checking out". He put me on hold, and then came back and said he would put me in another room, which was an upgrade. We moved (it was midnight by now) and it was even hotter than the first room, albeit larger and nicer, but a sauna - hot and humid. It was actually cooler outside than in the room. I called them again to which he responded that we just have to wait for it to cool down. I waited 30 minutes for it to cool down. My house cools off faster. Naturally they are liars. The people in this hotel like to mess with you, are extremely rude and do not like Americans. Food is fair, service rude, and never enough set tables for the guests, who have to wait in a line ouitside the dining room, even though the room has enough tables, ,they do not set them up for service. One more thing - the wifi is 5 euros per hour. If you are looking free wifi and great air conditioning as well as great customer service, this is not the hotel for you. Albergio Fiorenza (I think this is how you spell it) is where we went to following this expesive sham, and had a great vacation. Excellent customer service, great air conditioning that YOU control, and free wifi.

Room Tip: seaside view any floor between x3a(odd number) - x6(odd umber) (i..e., 357, 457)
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lisa K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Convenient lcation for either visiting the town or taking advantage of the ferries to visit the Amalfi coast as located close to the smaller harbour of Salerno from where those depart. If the parking is unavailable, you can use the public one just next door, take the one that is not an open air one and youwill find it pretty unexpensive. I have stayed here several times and the fare was this time quite good. It is a bit beaten down and the breakfast has a coffee that is underwhelming but if you look for conevenience , it is a good choice

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Darwin
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The rude desk clerk spoilt everything!
CHECK-IN: We arrived at this hotel in the afternoon, wanting to leave our bags then go for lunch before checking in. I walked in [leaving my husband in the car with the kids & luggage] and in my fluent Italian let the desk clerk know that I had a booking. Before I could even ask where we could leave our bags so that we could go and have lunch, the desk clerk, as loud and as rudely as she could said "but lady, check in is not until 2pm!" Mind you, it was 1:15pm ... I let her know that I was well aware of the check-in time & that I was only going to ask where we could leave our bags. She pointed in to the distance [she actually pointed to the elevator] then turned her back. I asked - where do we park our car? She turned around, huffed and pointed out the glass side window and again turned her back. I had to walk out before I myself yelled back at her. We parked the car, grabbed the kids & the luggage and walked back to drop our bags off. As we walked in, the same desk clerk was actually yelling and fighting with another customer!! Yelling at them that check-in was not until 2pm. The poor man, looked at his watch and said ..."it's 1:25, you mean to tell me you can't let me in 30 minutes earlier?" Well, needless to say, the yelling continued [only from the part of the female desk clerk] until a male desk clerk intervened and gave the CUSTOMER! his room key. The rude female desk clerk kept rolling her eyes and saying how tiring her job was.
ARRIVAL [eventual]: We came back after lunch to officially check in. It was 2:45pm. Unfortunately, the rude female desk clerk was again at the front counter. As she began to check us in, a male clerk came up and took over. Thank Goodness! He said he would check us in, while he asked the rude one to get us a room key [what a shame!]. You could see that he was trying to make up for the rude clerk and was trying to make as much small talk as he could.
FREE TIP FOR THE RUDE DESK CLERK: Leave! You are Grand Hotel Salerno's front face. Having you there makes the hotel's rating drop dramatically. There are millions of people in Italy who are desperate for a job and who would be much more qualified than you would be. If your job is so hard, leave and give someone who is eager, enthusiastic and professional the position instead. The hotel would benefit greatly with you gone!
LOCATION: Great. Across the road from the beach. Only a few hundred metres from the ferry that takes you to Amalfi, Positanto - all the coastal towns. Only approx 50 metres from a great gelato bar and from a few eating houses.
ROOM: Whilst the room wasn't even ready when we got up there, the eventual room we got was sufficient. Roomy enough for a small family.Not sure if it is 4 star standard, but pleasant.
Bar Fridge was not cold at all. View towards sea was very nice.
BREAKFAST: Wide and very good variety of foods. Plenty of beverage choice as well. The Restaurant Supervisor was so lovely. She made sure that all her guests were well looked after. What a pleasant change from check-in. Unfortunately most staff did not have name tags, so I couldn't get her name, or I would have personally mentioned her - she was that great!
DINNER: The two young men that looked after the restaurant at night were also great. We made sure that we let them know how appreciative we were of their professionalism - and both of them responded ... "but this is our job - it is the least we can do". Again, great, great service from these two young men! Thank You!
CHECK-OUT: Very quick & painless.
NOTE: At time of stay, this hotel did not take American Express Cards.
OVERALL: Unfortunately, the unprofessional desk clerk at check-in did ruin our palate a little with this hotel. The rest of the staff we encountered were very nice & this is what brought the rating up. However, I would not stay here again and would seek alternative accommodation if I was to go to Salerno once more.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that looks out to sea.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Sim0011
Nocera Superiore, Italy
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Ive stayed here my first time in Salerno. It is a good hotel for a business trip. But for me it felt like staying in a hospital. It is to clean and cold. The average rating is because this hotel lacks personality, it could also have been situated in new york or amsterdam. Apart from the seaside view if you have a room at the front of the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a seaside room, otherwise you see the back of an ugly building.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
thessaloniki
Reviewed July 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Grand Hotel Salerno for 3 nights in June 2013 due to his business. We arrived at the hotel late at Sunday night, after a long trip by plane and train. The lady at the reception said it is preferably to pay in advance for the double room. We paid in cash and she didn’t give us any receipt, as she mentioned we would receive the receipt when we would check out. This was our biggest mistake. We trust her word and never thought that she would be untrustworthy. Arriving at our room (3rd floor, looking at backyard) my husband found he had a bug bit. He needed a bug cream and therefore he asked for it at the reception. The same lady said that the hotel didn’t have any such first aid cream and gave him the address of a pharmacy. It was wrong! Thankfully, my husband speaks Italian very well and found an open pharmacy but arrived at the hotel late after midnight. Next day morning, I wanted to go for a walk at Salerno and might take a tour at amalfi coast. Not finding any brochure or touristic information in our room, which I thought it was strange, as this is a very touristic place, I asked at the reception. The receptionist (a man this time) gave me a map of Salerno and a paper with a timetable as for daily trip to amalfi and positano. He mentioned that I can easily find my way on my own if I walk! After strolling around for a few hours, I wondered from where the buses were leaving. I asked several citizens but either they didn’t speak English or they didn’t know of any bus leaving from the port. I even asked at a tourtistic office and the lady there said I should go to Salerno info point, but it was closed! Finally, after several hours of walking and asking, I called at the travel agent mentioned at the paper to find out that the timetable are for ferries that cost twice or 3 times much more than bus and also the next ferry was in afternoon. So I had lost all my morning. Never in my life, I have seen so much unwilling to help people living and working in a touristic place. And I have travelled a lot! The next day, I spent it in Positano and Amalfi coast which is sure a must see in case you are near there. People also working at these places are very willing to give information and help tourists. As for our experience from Grand Hotel Salerno, the worst was when we checked out. The receptionist (man) said that we hadn’t pay for the double room and asked us to pay again. His fellow worker couldn’t be found or reached on the phone. They couldn’t find either our money or a receipt so we had to pay again! It was our word against his, and therefore we couldn’t do anything else than pay. We strongly believe that she took our money and we feel betrayed. He said that all people working there are honest and he personally will try to find what might have happened. He even promised to email or phone us, as soon as he would have news. Today, after more than 40 days we haven’t any news. We even emailed at the hotel, complaining but we haven’t received any answer. For all these reasons, we strongly think this is the worst hotel we have ever stayed at, and the people working there are unprofessional and untrustworthy. I won’t stay there again and wouldn’t suggest it to anyone.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Salerno hotels

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2013

The location of this hotel couldn't be better. It's ideal for taking the shorter distance ferries and is an easy walk into both the old centre and the pedestrianised areas. I's also ideal for large groups of tourists or of wedding invitees who appear to be well-catered for, especially as they only stay for a few nights. However, if you're attracted by the wonderful roof terrace, be aware that it's often unaccessible either because there is a private function taking place, or because it's just locked. Also, even when there are large groups staying at the hotel, they rarely open the second restaurant area or open earlier for breakfast. It simply isn't worth the hassle while there are so many places on the seafront, or even near the station, to get breakfast.

Room Tip: For the best rooms if you can't afford the sea views, don't choose the first floor; the seco...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Far from the best hotel that I have stayed in
In-fact for a hotel having the word 'Grand' in its name is rather misleading.
The hotel is far from Grand. On arrival we found the reception staff rather unhelpful and not at all welcoming.
The room was OK but rather clinical in appearance. On opening the curtains you could hardly see out of the window due to them being filthy dirty. We asked for an extra pillow which did not appear. Breakfast was just about passable. The hotel is very noisy due to hard floors. We were woken at 5am both days with continual noise of movement which was incessant.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the 1st floor at the back
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple