“Completely Terrible - Don't stay here!”

Grand Hotel Salerno
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Salerno
Reviewed May 24, 2013

The grand hotel is anything but grand and definitely not 4 stars. It's depressing and soulless. Our group was stunned to find that this hotel was only a few years old. All the staff were extremely rude and unhelpful for the duration of our stay. The room was spacious but not very clean. There were cigarette butts on our balcony and the bathroom was dirty. If you tried to use the towel warmer it froze over and dripped with water (the same thing also happened in the neighbouring room that others in our group were staying in). Their room was also dirty with cigarette butts in the window sill and the window was broken and wouldn't stay open. We made the mistake of eating in the restaurant one night. Two of our group chose to have the three course meal for 25 euros including a glass of wine and mineral water. They only got two courses and nothing else. On taking this up with hotel staff I was told that it was still good value to have two courses for this price! I tried to explain that this was not the point and this was not what was advertised by the hotel. They took a few dollars off but it was a completely unacceptable outcome, however it was too exhausting to continue such a frustrating and infuriating discussion. They also informed me that the only vegetarian meal on the menu was unavailable but I was welcome to have the lettuce, cabbage and tomato on a side table (for which I was hugely overcharged). My mum was also overcharged for her meal. Parking is expensive and not secure. The only upside is that it is close to town and to the train station so when the time came to leave it was a quick getaway. If you do find yourself stranded in this horrible hole console yourself with the rather generous shots dished out at the bar.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dnrb2013

Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Rooms are new and large, but the rest is orrible. The breakfast room is chaotic. There's not a real coffee service, only coffee machine and food has plastic aspect and taste too. I run out to looking for a bar to have a good breakfast. The wellness center is decadent: peeling walls and poor peeling service. the staff is friendly enough, however,

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed May 9, 2013

It is better on the inside than the outside, which looks derelict from the back. There are rooms with sea views but mine overlooked the car park. But at night there was no outside noise, as the double glazing is very effective. However, when a large group of school children arrived the noise in the passageway late at night was not acceptable. The rooms are OK but very stark, no pictures and dirty marks on the walls. My bathroom was clean and the service OK. I did feel sorry for the staff in the breakfast room who could not keep up with the appetite of the hordes of guests in the mornings. On Sunday I had to wait 20 minutes for some bacon and eggs. The swimming pool is very good though you must wear a hat and shoes but you can buy them reasonably cheaply if you don't have your own. There are beauticians available for a variety of treatments. Not sure how qualified they are though. I had a reasonable manicure but I think my normal beautician would have been slightly horrified by the way my nails were filed. All in all, if you are here on business it is OK but I would have preferred somewhere more atmospheric. OK for an overnight stop but I wouldn't recommend it for a romantic weekend.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a top floor room overlooking the sea.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Thank Helene Christin... P
Reviewed April 3, 2013

DEFINITELY NOT 4 STARS!!!

This place rates itself as a 4 star hotel. Maybe out of 10, that would be appropriate. It is tired, run down and not worth the price they ask.

Pros: I found the staff to be quite nice. The room was clean and private. It had heating. The breakfast which was included was good.

Cons: Without going into too much detail. DO NOT STAY HERE.
You can stay somewhere so much nicer for the price. It is out of town, the old town is the nice part of Salerno, which is 10 minute walk. The foyer stairwell had plaster falling off the wall in chunks like it had a water leak behind it. There is no WiFi, even when I paid for it, they had to give me a refund because it didn't work, this seems a common thread on TA. The room we had was the entry level, basic room. It was located at the other end of the hotel, about a 50m walk down a hallway with a lovely view of the train lines, and the bedsheets didn't fit the double bed (see photos). There was NO HOT WATER.

Stay somewhere else.

Salerno is not really worth longer than a one night stay IMO.

I definitely will not go back to this Hotel.

My other reviews of this area show much better alternatives.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DocSurf
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Only 4 stars prices.

No internet, if you are lucky maybe you get a room with wifi signal and you can pay for it.

Rude front desk employees.

If you have breakfast after 9 / 9:15 sometimes they are out of orange juice, bread or croissants.

I expected better from a 4 stars hotel, I got better service in 3 stars hotels.

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank Vieri66
Reviewed March 23, 2013

The location in Salerno is good, approx 10 mns walk to the city center. The hotel is newly renovated and the interior is nice and very friendly and helpfull staff. The rooms are large, modern and trendy in white and sober grey. I got a room facing the backyard that is more quiet comparing to the rooms facing the Mediterranean sea and the large road outside. Great breakfast buffet with lots of nice stuff to eat.
There is a gym and an indoor pool at the hotel. The gym offers mostly treadmills and cross trainers, a few dumbbells and one multipurpose machine for "weight lifting", not much if you want to gain muscles. To use the pool costs 8 EUR! The hotel doesn´t offer free wired Internet or Wi-Fi, only one Internet computer in the lounge and the price is 5 EUR per hour! In the 21st century Wi-Fi for free should be provided for the guests! A big minus for this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We go to Salerno every few years to visit my wife's relatives. We used to stay with family but in more recent years we've opted to pay for accommodations. Four years ago we declined to stay here probably because it was very expensive, recently we initially booked a room at a B&B largely because the TA reviews for the Grand were so negative, and because, oddly enough the hotel's own website seemed to imply there was no parking available.

In the event, the B&B we chose didn't really work well for us, largely because of parking issues, and we decided after 3 days there to take a chance on the Grand Hotel for 4 nights, in part because that was where the B&B suggested we park anyway(!). It turns out that there is ample public parking adjacent to the Grand - it's just not included in the room rate and is not actually owned by the hotel.

Contrary to some other reviews, we found the front desk at the Grand to be extremely friendly, courteous, and helpful, both in English (to me) and Italian (to my wife).

We opted to splurge and get a seaside room with a balcony for 110 euros/night. The room was very large, with a very large bathroom. A huge tub that was actually so big it was difficult to get in and out of to take a shower. Great view from the balcony. In March, the room tended to be too hot - I had noticed from outside the building that many of the doors to the balconies were open, and I think this was because people were trying to cool off the rooms (we did this). For whatever reason the room temperature with the balcony door closed would not be suitably cool until about 4 AM. I've had ventilation problems like this in nice hotels all over the world - at least at the Grand in Salerno you have the option of opening a balcony door to get some air.

An extensive and pretty good buffet breakfast is included in the price.

The wifi is expensive and doesn't work well. I had good enough connectivity with my Samsung Galaxy SIII and a Windows netbook, but none with our iPad 3. Because I am addicted to the internet I opted to purchase 12-hours of internet access overnight for (as I recall) 25 euros, after being given a free hour earlier in our stay. As it turned out, the hotel decided not to charge us for any of this (I think they are slowly realizing that charging for internet access is ridiculous nowadays).

If it weren't for the problems with wifi (and its cost) and the temperature of the room, I would give this place 5 stars easily. We will definitely stay here again. Our new home away from home in Salerno.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple