“Great sea view”

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Salerno
Palm Beach, Australia
“Great sea view”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We were really happy with our large sea view room with balcony. It was extremely relaxing sitting watching the activity on the ocean. We were only in Salerno for one night and because we had been travelling all day, decided to eat at the hotel. We checked out the menu for the restaurant and decided that the room service menu looked better, so we ordered in and it was very nice.

Room Tip: We chose to book a sea view room and were not disappointed
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Tromso, Norway
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Grand Hotel in Salerno is a greate hotel, situated on the beach with rooms overlooking the Mediterranian ocean. Hospitable english speaking staff. The rooms are wide and comfortable and there is nothing to say about the price of the rooms incl. breakfast. No free Internett but that is which was not utterly positive.

Room Tip: Get a room fronted the ocean
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ireland
Reviewed September 3, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this hotel in August for four nights. We booked this hotel as we were planning on travelling around the Almafi coast and it was close to the port. When we arrived in reception we couldn't believe how unfriendly the staff were and that continued throughout our stay. Manners and politeness are lacking in the staff. I will not recommend this hotel to anyone and will never return.

4 Thank TippGirl1

Travelers are raving about these Salerno hotels

Zurich
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I stayed for 5 nights in this hotel. Already in the first night in room 329 I was attacked by stinging insects that lived inside my bed. I took precautions against mosquitos. It was only after the second night that I realized that it was not mosquitos, because then I found two species of insects below my pillow. They must have been inside the bed. One very small (< 1mm), red moving dots, and a bigger one (about 6mm). I smashed the smaller ones. They were full of blood. I caught the bigger one and showed it to the reception. Up to then I had more than 50 insect stings. They moved me to another room (301), that I believe was clean of insects.

I let my clothes wash by the hotel because I thought they could be contaminated.

The hotel reacted very poorly to this incident: When I payed the bill, I got only a 4% discount (wasn't even enough to cover my expenses on pharmaceutics) . They didn't seem to know anything about this insect incident then. They even charged me for the laundry. I wrote an email to them after I had returned home. They never replied.

I will never stay again in this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Leonhard J
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Apart from looking like someone recovered the wreckage of the titanic and left it in the middle of nowhere, the "Grand" Hotel Salerno certainly has the feel of a ship that has been left vacant for years.

What confused me most about the Grand Hotel Salerno was the reason for the sheer size of the place because it's proximity to anything worth seeing is questionable. It is a good twenty minute walk from Salerno's bustling old-town, and in the other direction a long, boring walk will take you to the downtown area. Which is perfect if you like to be accosted by intimidating Italian men and the odd beggar. There are a few lumps of sand and rock which resemble beaches along the way, that's if you're willing to pay a fee and even then you might not be lucky enough to see the ground surface through the foliage of deck chairs and towels.

I had read the mixed reviews of the Hotel and wasn't expecting a warm welcome, which is good because I can't remember being welcomed. In fact, we were asked for our passports, given the key and left to our own devices. It was somewhere between the long silence of the 'check-in police' that we remembered that we'd booked breakfast for our stay. I wonder if they had any intention of letting us know where to find it before we asked?

We decided to leave the staff alone after bugging them so much during check-in...being that all our ten words were met with hostility. Maybe I am being harsh, and someone has managed to earn a smile from someone on reception, then my hat is off to that person!

The room was great, very spacious and well lit. Oh, but please remember to find/build a contraption to dangle your key card from the electricity switch so that the lights stay on when you're in the shower. We also had to laugh about the extras the hotel offered, such as the pool downstairs, which was offered to guests who travel with a swimming cap free of charge. The free internet and wi-fi that cost five euros an hour was also a bit of a joke when we'd paid absolutely nothing for internet use in the five previous hotels on our stay.

All in all, our room was clean, comfortable and spacious and I would definitely recommend it to any of my friends who like to remain mute on their holidays, as the staff were particularly good at not replying with manners. But, the reason this Hotel was built, and what it has to offer is beyond me.

1 Thank Kieran F
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We spent 3 nights at this hotel in the month of July 2012. I felt quite ripped off by the fact that this hotel was rated as 4 stars! I wouldn't mind if I was told that this is 2-3 star hotel!

Hotel was built less than 5 years ago and we assumed that it should be quite decent!
We felt that construction is not finished! Maybe being an Architect added to my disappointment! I could see that the paint was not finished, sidings were falling off, the entrance door were not closing properly, etc. Building problems goes on and on.

The location of hotel is in a new area in town which remind me of cheap areas in china!

The staff were not the friendly. They were charging 5 euro per hour for internet! You should consider that internet were free in all other hotels we stayed in italy! even in many coffee shops.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone as it is over priced and their services were not decent. In fact this is one of worth hotels I ever stayed in the past 3 years!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Frafiei
Galway
Reviewed August 5, 2012

As a family of five we spent seven days at the Grand Hotel Salerno at the end of July ‘12. It’s a very clean, well maintained, large and impressive hotel located at the end of the sea front. However, I wouldn’t recommend it for family vacations.

On check in we found the front desk staff to be very unfriendly- they copied our passports and handed us the keycard, literally offering zero advice on the hotel or even which floor our room was on. When we got up to the room the key card didn’t work, I went back down, received no apology and was handed the door key and told to also keep the keycard for activating the electricity. The Second time the door opened with the key but the keycard didn’t activate the electricity. Another trip to the front desk where the staff questioned if I was inserting it correctly (all my fault!). Eventually (fourth time to the check –in desk) a maintenance staff was called to the room, he similarly couldn’t get the electrics to work until he made adjustments to the trip switches at the panel.

Then we noticed that the fridge hadn’t been cleaned out from the previous occupants (numerous partly used food and beverage containers) The housekeeping staff cleaned it out and replaced all the minibar items (I presume we would have been charged for all the mini bar missing items had we not reported these on check in).

One night I asked the front desk staff for a restaurant recommendation and he recommended the restaurant in the hotel. Thinking this was a joke I laughed and asked again but he wouldn’t recommend any restaurant in Salerno with the exception of the (expensive) Hotel restaurant – quite bizarre.

Our main reason for selecting this Hotel was that they offered quadruple rooms, in which we were allowed to accommodate up to five. We had expected that given the cost of a quadruple room that it would have contained two king-sized beds . Nope – one bed and a pull out couch. We used the cushions from the couch to form a bed on the floor for our youngest and requested an extra sheet and pillow. Each day these items were removed by house keeping and not returned – we gave up asking for them back. House keeping generally did a nice job cleaning the room but there seemed to be a general shortage of towels and toilet paper. Some days we got two towels and one roll of paper for five people. We nearly had to start a rationing policy on the paper.

Extra Charges : the Hotel doesn’t have parking. I asked about parking and was told it could be arranged for Euro20 per night. I took this offer but later noticed that on street parking is available for Euro1 per 2 hours. I hadn’t planned on Euro140 for parking. Internet is Euro 5 per hour or Euro 20 for 24 hours. The Hotel doesn’t have an outdoor pool but when we asked them they advised us to use the pool across the street, Hotel guests get a discount and can avail of the facility for Euro10 per day per person (Euro 50 for a family of five- kids pay the same as adults) Therefore for us to have internet, parking and outdoor pool use for a 7 day stay would come to an additional Euro630 for the stay.

We enjoyed our Amalfi coast experience but didn’t enjoy the unfriendliness of the Grand Hotel Salerno or all those extra charges and won’t be coming back for a second visit and we won’t be recommending it to others.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family