“Sinking ship...”

Grand Hotel Salerno
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Salerno
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Apart from looking like someone recovered the wreckage of the titanic and left it in the middle of nowhere, the "Grand" Hotel Salerno certainly has the feel of a ship that has been left vacant for years.

What confused me most about the Grand Hotel Salerno was the reason for the sheer size of the place because it's proximity to anything worth seeing is questionable. It is a good twenty minute walk from Salerno's bustling old-town, and in the other direction a long, boring walk will take you to the downtown area. Which is perfect if you like to be accosted by intimidating Italian men and the odd beggar. There are a few lumps of sand and rock which resemble beaches along the way, that's if you're willing to pay a fee and even then you might not be lucky enough to see the ground surface through the foliage of deck chairs and towels.

I had read the mixed reviews of the Hotel and wasn't expecting a warm welcome, which is good because I can't remember being welcomed. In fact, we were asked for our passports, given the key and left to our own devices. It was somewhere between the long silence of the 'check-in police' that we remembered that we'd booked breakfast for our stay. I wonder if they had any intention of letting us know where to find it before we asked?

We decided to leave the staff alone after bugging them so much during check-in...being that all our ten words were met with hostility. Maybe I am being harsh, and someone has managed to earn a smile from someone on reception, then my hat is off to that person!

The room was great, very spacious and well lit. Oh, but please remember to find/build a contraption to dangle your key card from the electricity switch so that the lights stay on when you're in the shower. We also had to laugh about the extras the hotel offered, such as the pool downstairs, which was offered to guests who travel with a swimming cap free of charge. The free internet and wi-fi that cost five euros an hour was also a bit of a joke when we'd paid absolutely nothing for internet use in the five previous hotels on our stay.

All in all, our room was clean, comfortable and spacious and I would definitely recommend it to any of my friends who like to remain mute on their holidays, as the staff were particularly good at not replying with manners. But, the reason this Hotel was built, and what it has to offer is beyond me.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kieran F
There are newer reviews for Grand Hotel Salerno

Reviewed August 11, 2012

We spent 3 nights at this hotel in the month of July 2012. I felt quite ripped off by the fact that this hotel was rated as 4 stars! I wouldn't mind if I was told that this is 2-3 star hotel!

Hotel was built less than 5 years ago and we assumed that it should be quite decent!
We felt that construction is not finished! Maybe being an Architect added to my disappointment! I could see that the paint was not finished, sidings were falling off, the entrance door were not closing properly, etc. Building problems goes on and on.

The location of hotel is in a new area in town which remind me of cheap areas in china!

The staff were not the friendly. They were charging 5 euro per hour for internet! You should consider that internet were free in all other hotels we stayed in italy! even in many coffee shops.

I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone as it is over priced and their services were not decent. In fact this is one of worth hotels I ever stayed in the past 3 years!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Frafiei
Reviewed August 5, 2012

As a family of five we spent seven days at the Grand Hotel Salerno at the end of July ‘12. It’s a very clean, well maintained, large and impressive hotel located at the end of the sea front. However, I wouldn’t recommend it for family vacations.

On check in we found the front desk staff to be very unfriendly- they copied our passports and handed us the keycard, literally offering zero advice on the hotel or even which floor our room was on. When we got up to the room the key card didn’t work, I went back down, received no apology and was handed the door key and told to also keep the keycard for activating the electricity. The Second time the door opened with the key but the keycard didn’t activate the electricity. Another trip to the front desk where the staff questioned if I was inserting it correctly (all my fault!). Eventually (fourth time to the check –in desk) a maintenance staff was called to the room, he similarly couldn’t get the electrics to work until he made adjustments to the trip switches at the panel.

Then we noticed that the fridge hadn’t been cleaned out from the previous occupants (numerous partly used food and beverage containers) The housekeeping staff cleaned it out and replaced all the minibar items (I presume we would have been charged for all the mini bar missing items had we not reported these on check in).

One night I asked the front desk staff for a restaurant recommendation and he recommended the restaurant in the hotel. Thinking this was a joke I laughed and asked again but he wouldn’t recommend any restaurant in Salerno with the exception of the (expensive) Hotel restaurant – quite bizarre.

Our main reason for selecting this Hotel was that they offered quadruple rooms, in which we were allowed to accommodate up to five. We had expected that given the cost of a quadruple room that it would have contained two king-sized beds . Nope – one bed and a pull out couch. We used the cushions from the couch to form a bed on the floor for our youngest and requested an extra sheet and pillow. Each day these items were removed by house keeping and not returned – we gave up asking for them back. House keeping generally did a nice job cleaning the room but there seemed to be a general shortage of towels and toilet paper. Some days we got two towels and one roll of paper for five people. We nearly had to start a rationing policy on the paper.

Extra Charges : the Hotel doesn’t have parking. I asked about parking and was told it could be arranged for Euro20 per night. I took this offer but later noticed that on street parking is available for Euro1 per 2 hours. I hadn’t planned on Euro140 for parking. Internet is Euro 5 per hour or Euro 20 for 24 hours. The Hotel doesn’t have an outdoor pool but when we asked them they advised us to use the pool across the street, Hotel guests get a discount and can avail of the facility for Euro10 per day per person (Euro 50 for a family of five- kids pay the same as adults) Therefore for us to have internet, parking and outdoor pool use for a 7 day stay would come to an additional Euro630 for the stay.

We enjoyed our Amalfi coast experience but didn’t enjoy the unfriendliness of the Grand Hotel Salerno or all those extra charges and won’t be coming back for a second visit and we won’t be recommending it to others.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Family_Hol_Review
Reviewed July 27, 2012

The location is good, just across from the sea. The hotel is very large and obviously used for conventions. Our sleeping room was quite large compared to other European hotels and everything was in working order. The tile floors carried sound from other rooms, but guests were reasonable. The hallways were eerie. Blue-gray lighting was extremely low giving it a Star Wars feel. Of the five hotels we used in Italy, this had the coldest feel.

Room Tip: Breakfast was good. We walked around the city a bit, but we were unimpressed.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank wivoyager
Reviewed July 21, 2012

My best friend and I decided at the last minute to take the train to Salerno so we could ride the ferry to see the Amalfi coast. We found the Grand Hotel on line and they had a couple double rooms left at a reasonable price. We booked on line with no problem. The hotel was only 3 block walk from the train station and the ferry dock is a short walk and you can catch the ferry to Amalfi, Positano and Capri. We were only staying one night and arrived at 10:30 am and were told we couldn't check in until noon. We went and ate some breakfast and came back at noon to be told we couldn't check in until 2pm. We decided to leave our bags behind the front desk and go catch the ferry to Amalfi. When we check in later that evening our bags were still there. Room was just standard but bathroom was great...nice tub and separate shower. They must be trying to conserve energy because hallways are lit by tiny little lights and lights in room go off if you aren't moving around. We could not get the AC to go down lower but it was adequate for sleeping. Double room turned out to be 2 twin beds pushed together with king sheets on them.
The buffet breakfast, which is included in the room rate, was pretty good. This is an adequate place to stay if you want to see the Amalfi coast by ferry. The staff at the front desk are kind of short with you when you ask questions - they had no brochures on area, maps, etc.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 13, 2012

perfect location and nice view from the sea-side rooms everything else is a disaster. This hotel is a mess, not managed professionally, not up to international standards and definetely not worth the 4 star it claims.
Rooms are large, bathroom doors are decaying due to the umidity. staff is inconsistant it could be friendly or very rude. Good luck calling the front desk from the room, the hotel has always functions on some sort going on (wedding, meeting etc) and is always understaffed to be able to manage the guest and the event at the same time. The indoor pool is nice especially if you are traveling with kids.
it's a shame as this is in a perfect position in the city, i just hope some international company will buy it out and manage it properly.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Francesco G
Reviewed June 24, 2012

The rudest staff I have ever encountered in any hotel run the 'wellness' centre. They are determined to make any visit into a problem, constantly thinking up one more thing you can or can't do; latest rule, no towels in the gym!!! The rooms are big but are falling apart, You cannot switch off air conditioning at night. Great location for trips along Amalfi coast..

Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends