“Great location and value for a tired hotel.”
Review of Plaza Hotel

Plaza Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Salerno
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Just across the square from the train station and the bus stops, this hotel is very conveniently located. Unless you have a car - there is no parking that I could see. The rooms were spacious and clean; with furnishings and fixtures straight from the early '70s - although they all seemed to work! The aircon made a racket but did cool the rooms, so can't really complain. Breakfast was completely forgettable, but the staff are friendly and helpful. Overall, if I was travelling to Salerno by train I would stay here again - but only for one or two nights.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AndyMc_Dnaught

Reviewed October 31, 2013

For rail travellers this hotel could hardly have a better location. Across the square from the rail station and bus stops; at the end of the main street in the city with easy access to restaurants and shops; 2 blocks from the sea and the leisure port for coastal trips. These benefits count for a lot.

On arrival for a 4 night visit the lift wasn't working and reception found it difficult to look us in the face. We were quite prepared to lug our case up to our third floor room but they wouldn't hear of it and an older guy who looked as though he might have difficulty lifting our case brought it to us a few moments after we got to our room, but expected a tip! After a further day with the lift out of use, it was repaired, and after that everyone seemed to relax and all the staff were pleasant to us.

The room was spacious and quite nice and clean, and there was a good sized room safe which we find a useful facility. However, it did need some updating, and although it was clear that the bathroom was cleaned daily, the fittings were old and tired and the shower was a little unpleasant as there was a significant amount of mould around the base and on the walls, although there was a clean mat in the base.

We appreciate the budget price of this hotel and realise that in order to charge these prices they have to find ways of cutting costs, but the breakfast, included in the price paid, was frankly a disappointment. The choice was very limited and there were no hot dishes at all. There was no meat and the only cheese was cream cheese. We would happily have paid a little more to have had more choice at breakfast,

Having made a few negative comments I have to say that all in all for a 3 star hotel at the price we paid this hotel represented good value and all in all we enjoyed our stay here. It is unlikely that we will stay again in Salerno, but if we we were to do so then we would certainly consider staying at this hotel if travelling by train.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Silvertravelsurfer
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Pros:

-Inexpensive (I paid 65 euros per night).

-Loved the huge window/patio door with electric shutters. I didn't bother to set my alarm the first night and I slept until 11am the next day! Haven't done that since I was a teenager!

-Really liked that when you enter your room there is a tiny hallway and then another door to the bedroom. This made the room almost sound proof. There was also a glass door behind the window, which shut out most of the noise from the busy square below.

-Perfect location for train travel and bus travel since the station is directly across the street.

-Room wasn't luxurious by any means but was clean and had all of the basic amenities.

-The staff were friendly and happy to help.

Cons:

-Breakfast was just ok. Rolls, croissants, one type of cereal, processed soft cheese and of course Nutella. The waiter never came over to ask what I would like to drink. I had to flag him down to get a cappuccino.

-There was supposed to be wifi in the room but my devices could not locate the network so I had to keep coming downstairs to the lobby to use the internet. However, at least internet was free.

-The pillows were like rocks.

Overall a good budget hotel in a great location.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank RozBakerLake
Reviewed October 11, 2013

We were only here for a night as a stop over between other stops but it was a very nice hotel that offered a great breakfast. The staff was friendly and helpful with suggestions and directions.
The room was one of the larger ones we had in italy and would be a good one to spend a few days in if I were going to stay in Salerno.

Room Tip: I'm sure all the rooms in this hotel would be great. it was a very nice hotel overall.
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We chose this hotel because of the location. It is literally 1 minute walk from the train and station. 5 minute walk to the sea.
The rooms are outdated, but clean and spacious. They could do with being revovatated. You could hear the toilet flushing from the room next door.
Breakfast was included in the price and adequate. They could have more variety and maybe some hot options.
Overall, it was average, but great location.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Chose for location and previous reviews and matched up to these. Functional, well run hotel. Convenient for buses, trains and boats to Amalfi coast. Nice place. More of a working town and less of a tourist trap than other places we visited. Found great restaurant visited by local families close by.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

We booked this hotel because of the proximity to the train station. It is even closer to the train station than it sounds, it couldn't be closer, just great to be so central and not need to carry luggage.
Rooms and breakfast room are pleasant and clean,
Our air conditioning broke down on the first night, we reported it on the second morning but when we arrived back in the evening, nothing had changed. I then requested another room, a/c is not a luxury item in the Amalfi Coast in September. Within an hour, the manager had intervened, located us a different room, come personally to our room to apologize, and told us he was giving us a reduction for the inconvenience caused the previous night. I cannot fault the way the manager got involved and solved the matter personally. At a different hotel in Como, when the electricity failed, the management did absolutely nothing to help and never responded to my letter after the event. I wrote a post on Trip Advisor not recommending that place. Here was a totally different attitude. I told the manager that mishaps occur and that all that matters to me as a consumer, is how they are dealt with. I can only commend Andrea at reception (if I recall his name correctly) for calling the manager at home at night and the manager himself for dealing with the matter personally in a professional and warm way. I also felt gratitude to this worldwide community, Trip Advisor, because previous guests' reviews were what caused us to book there in the first place.
The Amalfi Coast is breathtakingly beautiful. We recommend spending a day on the local buses just enjoying the magnificent views

Room Tip: Beds are very comfortable. When air conditioning is on and windows are closed, no outside noise at a...
2  Thank LeonieIsrael