“Good place and excellent view”

Barone Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #14 of 210 Salerno B&B and Inns
Haifa District, Israel
“Good place and excellent view”
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

We spend a night here and it was good and pleasant experience. The owner is charming and with a lot of useful knowledge and tips fir tourists, very cooperative. The elevator is topical to italian very old buildings. The breakfast is average. The rooms are big and with a wonderful view to the seashore and port. A good deal.

Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Arivaca, Arizona, United States
Reviewed October 18, 2013

We chose Barone Bead and Breakfast because we wanted to stay in Salerno both as a transportation hub (train, Ferry) to access sites in southern Italy (Pompeii, Pastum, Almalfi); and also to spend some time in an Italian city that was not overwhelmed by tourists, in order to get a more authentic experience.

Vincent (the owner) was very helpful in recommending local sites and restaurants (Il Maestro del Gusto, was some of the best cuisine we had in Italy). The room was clean and comfortable. The building had a really cool old 'cage' elevator from the 1920's.

Recommend taking a taxi to the B&B from the train station. The rates are reasonable, less than 10 Euro. Otherwise, it's about a 20-min walk. My wife and I felt safe walking around the city day and night.

The breakfast is basic: Coffee, tea, juice, pastry and toast with toppings. It gets you started, but don't expect proteins (eggs, meats, buffet, etc).

I would stay here again. Vincent takes pride in making sure your comfortable.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Mexico
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Vincent gave us a nice orientation of the B&B and provided us with an overview of the city and great recommendations on places to eat. The Barone B&B was exactly what we were hoping for: comfortable, clean, nice morning breakfast, all at a great price. Chose Salerno for its ferry service from Amalfi and Trenitalia service back to Napoli. Fifteen minute walk to historic area and about eleven euro taxi ride from train station (2013).

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Read other reviews.. agree with most and yes breakfast is a bit odd. I enjoyed my stay there . Next to ferry to Amalfi Coast and I always enjoyed walking the 15 mins or so down the the historic centre. Room was excellent. Good value for money and owner very helpful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Loved our 3 nights stay here at the Barone B&B. View from room was lovely. Clean and spacious rooms. Good value for money. Good location and a pleasant 15/20 min walk on the promenade from the station. Vincent, the owner was very helpful and made sure we had everything we needed for a welcoming stay. Would definitely stay here again if I returned to Salerno.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Initially not my first choice for Salerno accommodation because the location looked to be on the outskirts of town and fair distance from the train station. However when we arrived we soon discovered that the old town with its narrow cobbled streets, bars, restaurants and activity was the standout feature of Salerno for us and the Barone was less than 10 mins walk away. Vincent our host recommended some restaurants and bars and the ones we tried were really excellent. We expected Salerno to simply be a good location for sightseeing the Amalphi coast but we ended up much preferring it to the other towns like Amalphi and Positano - why? Because the other towns were crawling with tourists and packed with shops just catering for them, whereas the streets of Salerno ( at 8 or 9 at night) were busy with people all speaking Italian. I suspect there are plenty of tourists when a ship is in port but during our stay (in Sept) we came across very few.

Positives - A good location for visiting the old town area and for us this was a delight. Spotlessly clean, hot showers, good furniture in our room, good sea view (over port) + very helpful host. Train cheap and fast to Pompeii Vesuvious Herculeum Naples etc. Good ferry to other coastal towns and Capri. Buses to coastal towns but slower than ferry.

Negatives - Port was active 24 x 7 and some noise at night if you want to sleep with the window open although not enough to keep us awake. Walk to station or main ferry terminal 30 mins but a pleasant walk along the sea front if not in a rush. Breakfast was basic as described by others but if we left for sightseeing before breakfast Vincent happy to leave the croissants in our room for when we returned.

Final thoughts - This is a B&B not a four star hotel so manage your expectations accordingly. All accommodation during the summer is not cheap but the cost for 4 nights was less than we paid for one night at a Paris hotel.

Room Tip: Our room had a view straight out to sea over the port

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Surprised by the great reviews, this place was average at best. positives: room was clean and big, view out to sea is alright though basically over an industrial port. the lift is cool. The owner Vincent was helpful with train/ferry times and the like. wifi is decent.
negatives: breakfast is awful ad cheap. Vincent brings you a croissant in the morning on top f some awful stuff laid out on a tray the night before. he comes at his own time, we wanted to leave early to get an 8.20 train but he wasnt arriving till that time so we had to get a later one to get the breakfast. you're also well outside the town. a tad expensive for what it is.

that said salerno really wasnt what i had read on the net about a good place to base yourself for trips, i would definitely not stay there again. hopefully that negativity didnt spoil my review of the place!

3 Thank Eoghan D
Barone_Palace, Proprietario at Barone Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Guest Eoghan D.,
I was somewhat surprised by the title of his review that it seems to me , after all, too . Thank you, however, for he wanted to express his own judgment on my B & B.

I'm sorry for your discomfort only after finishing the stay in my B & B and not during . I would have been happy to receiving your notification at the time , so as to allow immediate action in research and solution of the problem.

I'm always very careful in taking any inconvenience the customer because I want to and I always try to please and satisfy his every desire . That's why I always invite my clients to immediately notify us of special needs, so that they can keep holiday at the end of a beautiful memory .

On the breakfast I try to please the tastes of our very heterogeneous in origin and age, and if the croissants ( fresh in the morning and not the night before as you wrote ) was not liked I'm so sorry , but you were also at your disposal : bread toast , jam , nutella, chocolate corn flakes , corn flakes classic biscuits for milk, pineapple juice, ACE juice , blood orange juice , milk, tea classic green to lemon and finally you were also asked if you wanted fresh bread with fresh cheese , but you refused .
You told me that you had to take the ferry to Capri on the morning of departure at 8.20 and not the train as you wrote in your review and I arrived much earlier to serve you and to your partner breakfast with fresh croissants.

I conclude believing that, in addition to the many positive reviews, you've come to my B & B to offer economic advantage. In fact, for the period of your stay you have not found a better price or less than about € 65,00 per room with private bathroom for 2 people including breakfast , air conditioning and WI - FI that you paid to my B & B

I hope you decide to come back , maybe in another period , to give me a way to leave you and your partner a more positive emotion.

Enzo P