“Brilliant base for the Amalfi Coast”

Salerno Centro Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 208 Salerno B&B and Inns
Amersham, United Kingdom
“Brilliant base for the Amalfi Coast”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

A wonderful experience for our family. Francesco and his mama were fantastic and the hospitality they showed was wonderful - so welcoming. Salerno is a city for Italians so you aren't surrounded by tourists - very refreshing after trips to Pompei or Amalfi! Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Sarnia, Canada
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Salerno Centro is a wonderful spot to spend some time while visiting the Amalfi Coast area of Italy. Francesco and his mother go out of their way to make sure you are happy and enjoying yourself. The rooms are very comfortable and spacious. The breakfast provided is delicious and very filling. This B & B is a short walk from the train station, bus station and ports for catching a ferry up the coast. The building is so quaint and unique. It was wonderful to have Francesco to ask questions to and he provided so much useful information to my wife and I on our arrival. I would absolutely recommend Salerno Centro for your Italy vacation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank R G R
Winchester, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We booked a room at this B&B initially for 7 nights recently but left after 3 days because there really was no parking anywhere near the location and we had a rental car (we were supposed to switch to another room in the B&B after three nights and it seemed like a good opportunity to move to the Grand Hotel, which was where the B&B suggested we park anyway).

We gave notice well before check-out time at breakfast after three nights (there's no one there in the evening) and agreed to pay a total of 310 euros for our three nights and for inconveniencing the owner by canceling our remaining stay (I thought this was a bit steep but we really liked the people).

My wife was born in an apartment a couple of blocks away from this location. She really liked the hospitality at the Salerno Centro (as I did, but my Italian is pretty limited). If you don't have family in Salerno and want to make contact with the locals, this B&B would be a good choice, particularly if you don't have a car (the location is great).

On the other hand, if you don't have a car in Salerno, there are lots of other centrally located B&Bs, and a really nice youth hostel (with private rooms with en suite bathrooms).

Our room for the three nights at the Salerno Centro was the Amalfi. The bed for the two of us was a tight fit (you can't really turn without waking the other person). The room had an extremely high ceiling (easily 20 feet high) with only a small window about 15 feet off the ground. I thought a lot about what it would be like to be trapped in this room if there were a fire (okay, so I worry. :-) ).

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
SALERNOCENTRO, Direttore at Salerno Centro Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Mr Tomas,
thank you for your stay.
It’s always a pleasure for us to get reviews and we would like to have enough time to comment all of them.
Now I’m going to explain our point of view about your review, let’s start from “the parking issue”. I read your expectations about parking have not beed satisfied, this could be because you had not asked me about any parking arrangement, when your wife booked on the phone, maybe she just forgot. By the way, thanks to this useful review, thinking about the occured misunderstanding, although in real Salerno downtown any bed and breakfast and most of the hotels don't have any own parking area, we use to offer a free solution which lets our guests leave there car in a private garage we arrange a transfer service from/to, at check-in/out time. It’s a nice effort we are happy to make! Otherwise we also use to suggest cheap public or private solutions near our B&B.
About the “sudden cancellation issue” (I mean the fact that you decided to leave 3 days before your fixed reservation): about the total amount you paid, this solution was just a friendly proposal and not an obligation. We asked you if you agreed and you did.
About the description of the room, let me say that a space used in the sixsteenth century for praying and religious meditation has been instead described as a dangerous place where you can be trapped with no way out in case of fire, which sounds just a litte bit “exaggereted”. By the way, let me clearfy the measures of the room and celing-window propositions: the celing is 15 feet high (not 20) while the window is 10 feet (not 15). We always clearly inform all our guests about the features of this peculiar “sixsteenth century style” room.
The same I would say about the so called “tight fit bed”, this is a normal Italian queen-size bed, no couple has ever compalined about this.
Many thanks for your time and attention.
Dr. Francesco Manzo
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I arrived at Salerno Centro in miserable weather after a 30 hour journey from Australia. Francesco was away on holidays but his mother Lina greeted me warmly providing tea and cake and I was soon settled into the Positano room. It was a wonderfully warm and comfortable base for my 4 day stay and Pasquale provided an excellent chauffeur service for me to Paestum and to Naples airport on my departure. My room was spacious and I was only sorry the weather did not allow use of the terrace.

The B&B is ideally located in the historic centre on a charming and vibrant piazza but there was little noise from outside.

If you want a personal, homely experience then I would recommend this place. Oh, and thank you for the limoncello!

Room Tip: Positano room is very spacious and has a lovely terrace.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Bratislava, Slovakia
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Bed and Breakfast Salerno centro is perfect accommodation if you want to stay in the centre of the city. It´s situated in the main historical square Piazza Portanova in the building from 16th century. Bed and breakfast Salerno Centro is very cozy and shows typical Italian style. You can enjoy the typical Italian breakfast with homemade cake and coffee, but if you prefer bread with ham and cheese, the family will give it to you. They give you all necessary information about the important staff to visit, about timetables of buses, trains and boats, recommended restaurants and pizzerias right after your arrival by small refreshment. There is wifi connection also. Good point is, the Salerno centro is situated very need from train station, and both of the ports, from where is easy to get Amalfi, Positano or Capri. Salerno it´s just one hour far by train from Pompei and also very near to a famous archaeological site Paestum with pantheon. Salerno it´s just 60 km from Naples and it´s easy to get there by train, bus or boat. It you want to taste the real pizza Margherita in her cot, for sure visit pizzeria Sorbillo. I was in bed and breakfast Salerno Centro second time already, and i give you my best recommendations!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
switzerland
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I was looking for somewhere near the station because of heavy bagage, but when I enquired about a room here, I was offered free pick-up from the station, and I greatfully accepted. the salerno centro B&B is more than just a bed and breakfast, its a family who open their home to you, providing more than just a fantastic made to measure breakfast and excellent bed. I prefer savoury in the morning and francesco's mother prepared different cheeses and meats, with delicious bread, big cappuccino, great expresso...but also homemade cakes everyday. his father was a great help, phoning for info of places I wanted to visit, (they even sold me bus tickets to avoid me having to going to a tobaconnist), and he was wonderful when he took me back to the station on my last day. the room was lovely, and although I chose the one with external private shower, the room was spacious, quiet, had wi-fi and even a vey welcome radiator in my room, after I'd been freezing in my previous hotel in calabria! to top all this, each guest is welcome to use the fridge, microwave, coffee machine and tea making facilities whenever they wish, which is very handy. what with being in the centre of town, and providing ample tourist information and discounts at local restaurants, I doubt you can beat Salerno Central for service and comfort.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at Salerno Centro. The B&B is very cozy, situated in a central place, rooms are clean and Francesco (the owner) is the most welcoming host. I would definitely recommend to others.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo