“Wonderful hostel”

Hostel Salerno
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful hostel”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Staff spoke good English and were extremely helpful at all times - even printing off our boarding passes home for us, just as a favour!

Breakfast was lovely. Drinks at the bar were fairly cheap. Good atmosphere.

Little bit out of the way, but in a good way more than anything!

Only complaints would be that WiFi only reaches the ground floor, and that the lift was quite slow. Overall, very good hostel.

Room Tip: Private rooms are lovely, but the dorms are quiet and had a curfew.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ave Gratia Plen... Q, Quality&Operations at Hostel Salerno, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Hi Annabel,
thanks for appreciating our hostel. We are glad that you enjoyed our breakfast and the bar service.
About wi-fi we have some rooms reached by the signal: next time ask for that.
Just one comment: you said "little bit out the way": the hostel is located in the heart of the historical center of the city...so absolutely central.
Come back soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Interesting place, in fact it is a youth hostel however with hotel like facilities. Good breakfast.
Wi-Fi. And right in the center of the old town. We were with a car and it is highly advisable to follow the instruction of the hostel to get there as it is in the Zone Traffico Limitado.
If you have a GPS (navigation systems):
1. set the destination Salerno, Corso Garibaldi (Via Roma)
2. when you have reached Corso Garibaldi set the destination Via Antica Corte
3. when you drive on the Corsa Garibaldi towards the west a about hundred meters before you reach Via Antica Corte you see some park like area with trees and the end is a redish building at the left you should be at the very narrow Via Antica Corte.
4. turn right into Via Antica Corte, it’s monitored by the cameras and is where the ZTL zone starts. You reach a T crossing go left en than first right I believe and you are almost there and ask. Or: set there address Via dei Canali
The hostek recommends a garage nearby.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for sharing your experience and come back to visit us.
Qld
Reviewed June 9, 2013

When you arrive go into the tourist information centre at the railway station. There they speak English and will sell you the tickets for the local buses, to the Amalfi Coast and even to the airport so that you don't have to queue in Rome. To find the hostel come out of the station and take the first right along the main shopping mall. Keep walking straight, the mall narrows but keep on until you reach an archway about 4 metres long. Go under the archway and the hostel is the second street on the right. On the bus you want direction of Theatre Verdi (Municipale). That is the terminus and you can walk a short way back to Via Canali or ask for Centro Storico which is one stop before. This hostel is an absolute gem. The staff is so friendly and helpful. There is an open courtyard with nice plants and a waterfall which you can sit around and use the free wifi. There are two desktop computers (not free). There is a lift and a plentiful continental breakfast. We booked a double room. It was clean, cheerful and quiet with a comfortable double bed and ensuite which was made up daily with fresh towels. You can catch a bus to the Amalfi Coast or go by boat. Pompei is a must see. Salerno was where the allies landed to liberate Salerno from the Germans during the war. Many Americans, British and New Zealander troups landed here. It is less touristy than Sorrento or Amalfi and much cheaper. It's a top spot and I would highly recommend it to you.We stayed on level 4 with a breathtaking view over the old rooftops to the ocean lit up by the moon.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Ave Gratia Plen... Q, Quality&Operations at Hostel Salerno, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thanks for your review. We are glad that your stay was up to expectations. Come back soon for the third time :)
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I think part of my holiday started like an adventure. First of all I had the job of finding Ave Gratia Plena. Okay it was not easy, but that was partly due to the fact that I had arrived in Salerno very late at night. I had to find my way in the dark, but people gave me directions. I had a map, of course, and I did have a fair idea of the location of the Ostello from Salerno train station. But I have a notoriously poor sense of direction! Actually though, as I discovered later, the location of the Ostello could not be more simpler.

Anyway I was actually escorted to the Ostello by two very friendly locals. Buono! I was instantly welcomed at the reception by one of the staff on duty. She gave me all the info I needed for settling in for my stay.

I found out more info about the area the next day. When I booked my holiday I had requested something extra for breakfast, specifically two boiled eggs. This request was duly obliged at a reasonable cost for the week.

I found that the entire staff were very helpful. I have relatives in Salerno, and the staff kept me informed of their messages. This kind gesture made my stay so much the better. Especially since the staff are generally multi-lingual. This is a bonus for the tourists who visit the Ostello from far and wide.

All in all I had a wonderful time at the Ostello. Yes my single room was quite basic, but I knew that when I placed my booking. It was more than adequate for my needs, anyway. It was cleaned daily, with fresh towels provided. Plus I had a good view of urban life and a great horizon.

Yes, I would book another holiday there. Maybe next year.

Room Tip: Request a room with a view of city life.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank RONALD PETER R
Ave Gratia Plen... Q, Quality&Operations at Hostel Salerno, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Hi Ronald,
thanks for sharing your experience. Come back soon!
Finland
Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

It's already a year since visiting here, but I'll still want to review it. The location is quite good, although bit of a walk from the train station. Finding the hostel was also problematic as there are so many narrow alleys around. the setting is nice and my dorm room was clean. It's a big hostel but there were not many customers that time (it was off-season anyway). The breakfast was great, probably the best I've had in any hostel, one extra star for that.

Stayed May 2012
Ave Gratia Plen... Q, Quality&Operations at Hostel Salerno, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you for coming back in Salerno. See you soon.
Naples, Italy
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Friendly staff at reception + best location in Salerno + clean room + italian breakfast = happy customer!

If you want a luxurious suite with bathtub and in room entertainment, go somewhere else. If you want a good bed, good shower and value for money, this is the right place for you. You have the historic centre outside your window, the seaside promenade 2 min walk away, art shops and restaurants on your doorstep, a great location for exploring this lovely city.

Bring some earplugs if you are a light sleeper, the nightlife in Salerno is lively and you are in the middle of it.

Room Tip: Rooms to the back are more quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MariaBlackCat
Ave Gratia Plen... Q, Quality&Operations at Hostel Salerno, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thanks for appreciating our hostel.
We are delighted that you enjoyed our welcome, location, cleaning and breakfast. We aim to have all satisfied customers like you!
Leiden, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

In order to limit my lodging expenses, I opted for a hostel: Ave Gratia Plena.
This former convent, located in the heart of Salerno, creates a different atmosphere than your usual hotel. It has a nice courtyard, where one can rest while enjoying the weather with a free hot drinks and the company of others.

This makes up for the rather Spartan-style single room - they also have dorms on the other floors - which lacks a TV and even (adjustable) heating.
The room and bath room were clean, and the single bed comfortable.
Daily fresh towels were provided - usually not worth mentioning but in this case I could have chosen a room without this service - though these were rather strange: the size resembled a towle, but the material was barely thicker than a sheet.
No problems with sounds nor weird smells, so I was happy.
Breakfast is simple but sufficient to get you started for the day.
Note that free wifi is available on the ground floor - not in the rooms.

The girls at reception were most helpful, with Nadia (from Argentina) being the friendliest of the bunch. They provided the best tips for eating places - some of them quite cheap - a well as nice places to see.
Discovering that a car is more of a nuisance than a blessing, they also directed me to the nearest affordable parking spots (and still you end up paying about 13 euro per day).

This hostel is certainly a good choice for 40 per day (which need to be paid up front).

• Stayed November 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We are always happy when one of our guests take the time to us. Come back soon to Salerno
Also consider these accommodations in or near Salerno
Hotel Novotel Salerno Est Arechi
#1 of 2 in Tramonti
La Vela
La Vela
#14 of 21 in Furore

Been to Hostel Salerno? Share your experiences!