All reviews few stairs view is amazing view from the balcony yogurt brothers rates coast sea euros boats taxi
Reviewed June 17, 2017

When I arrived, the manager requested payment of my balance of 200 Euros. He then ran a charge on my credit card. But, without asking me first, he chose the option to pay in US Dollars rather than in Euros. He then presented me a charge in US dollars for $225.32. I complained because he did not ask me first. I informed him that I always pay in Euros because my entire life I had learned that merchant currency conversions rates are always worse than one's own bank. He insisted that his bank offered the best conversion rate: "Trust me." It was late, I was exhausted, and I thought that if I required him to reverse the charge, it would take a long time, and I could not be sure that he had done so correctly, so I would run the risk of paying twice; so I did not demand that he make the correction and bill me in Euros. But I was not happy.

I now know the difference in the two exchange rates, and, as I knew he was, the manager of Donna Giulia was wrong. I have just received my credit card bill which includes both the Donna Giulia charge of $225.32, and other charges that I paid on the same day—in Euros—which my bank charged me at its conversion rate, which was a better rate. If I had paid in Euros and paid the same conversion rate as my other credit charges that date, the Donna Giulia charge would have been $219.92. That is $5.40 less than Donna Giulia charged me for paying in US dollars.

The effect of this was that the manager of Donna Giulia took $5.40 of my money, without my consent, and gave it to his bank.

While this is not a lot of money, it is 2.45% higher than I should have paid. And if every merchant did the same thing, a trip to Italy which costs $10,000 if paid in Euros would cost about $245 more if paid in US dollars. It all adds up, and that is how customers are mistreated a few dollars, or Euros, at a time.

The credit card devices provide that it is the CUSTOMER who should be given the choice to pay in Euros or Dollars—NOT the merchant. Donna Giulia should never do this to a customer again.

Whenever I hear someone say "Trust me," without giving proof, I hold on to my wallet with both hands.

• Stayed: May 2017, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Frank S
Reviewed June 17, 2017 via mobile

We only spent 2 nights here but it was fantastic. The host Luciano was so accommodating and helped us every time we had a question.
Get the room with a terrace, it includes a sun bed and table setting for 2. It's the best view in Amalfi!!! No better way to start your day then breakfast on the terrace. Room did get a little hot, we asked for a fan and Luciano provided one immediately. Highly recommend this B&B.

Stayed: June 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2017

We spent a week at Donna Giulia and it was wonderful! The views from the room were gorgeous! Each day our room was cleaned spotlessly and we were so comfortable. The bed was very comfy, the linens were clean and fresh, and the bathroom was modern. Additionally, the owner Luciano was so kind and really took the time to give us great recommendations around Amalfi! He was helpful and hospitable in so many ways- he went out of his way to introduce us to his friends who owned the local beach club and also arranged transportation for us to the airport for our 6am flight. Overall, it was an incredible weeklong stay at Donna Giulia and I already want to go back!! I would highly recommend staying here while in Amalfi.

Room Tip: steps from the beach!
  • Stayed: June 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2017

room is clean, close to city center.. and has a Beautiful view on the sea!
Make sure to get the directions from the tenant! Google maps does not give the good directions. We are backpackers, so we could easily walk around in the small streets and climb the stairs (as required with the google's itinerary) and enjoy the big detour, but there is an easy and simple way to get to the hotel.
it is approx. 10-15min walk from the SITA bus stop... if you take the short path :)
There is wifi in the rooms, but the router is downstairs, so the signal is not very strong in the rooms upstairs.

• Stayed: December 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2016 via mobile

My daughter booked 5 days as a birthday present, wow what a wonderful time. We got a private transfer from Napoli and arrived later than expected however taxi driver contacted Donna giulia and we were met from the taxi. Easy check in and our bags were carried to our room, yes there are lots of steps but they old medieval type steps that are wide and in little clusters, there are also benches along the way if you need a rest. The toddler in the room next to us had great joy scampering up the stairs so really don't be put off. Room was clean and the view was awesome, we laid in bed looking out to sea, watching a storm at sea from your bed is a real treat. We had a room with a balcony and had breakfast on our balcony most days. Breakfast was huge and varied for a continental breakfast you just open your door in the morning put your order in for drinks, ten minutes later your breakfast arrives with a smile. Would definitely recommend and will definitely be going back. Lovely family run business. Oh and the street food vendor at the bottom of the stairs is fab too

Stayed: September 2016, traveled with family