WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“The perfect place to relax!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of A' Scalinatella Hostel and Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Amalfi
A' Scalinatella Hostel and Hotel
Ranked #25 of 29 Hotels in Amalfi
Paris
“The perfect place to relax!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2009

It is a GREAT place ! It is close to everything, easy to go to and the staff is VERY VERY NICE!
The rooms are pretty and clean, so are the bathrooms.
Only 2 minutes walk to the beach. You can easily go for a walk, the landscapes are wonderful, gorgeous! It is very calm and peaceful.
There are many things to do around.
If you like nature and relax on the beach, you should go! You will fall in love with the place and would never want to go home!
We just loved that place!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
california
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2009

Good location, friendly owners, and having read the reviews I didn't expect much from this hostel but a couple of things almost sent me packing to a more expensive place.
The ensuite bathrooms I was shown were half-bath size with no shower stall. The whole bathroom WAS the shower stall - damp and cramped. We used a separate bathroom along the hall that had an actual shower.
The beds had only sheets, no blankets.
The cloth tacked over the glass bedroom door to shield us from the hallway light was so thin it was pointless. Just one more piece of evidence that the bare minimum of expense is used here.
I can't believe it cost 90 euros!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank californiabrits
Hämeenlinna
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2009

If you like walk around and relax in the piazza where all around are not tourists, Atrani is a perfect place to stay. We found A Scalinatella very pleasant place to stay, it´s on the Piazza Umberto I and on the beach and a SITA bus takes you up mountain if you prefer go steps more down than up. Amalfi is 15 mins away through a maze of steps and narrow passages between and under the houses of Atrani and Amalfi. We had booked a room with shared bathroom but were upgraded to a small bathroom in the room. Breakfast was better than in the hotel in Rome. We are a Finnish couple and like more places like A Scalinatella than soulless hotels with lots of stars and amenities.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
NY
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2009

I spent only one night in this horrible place and ran away as fast as I could. Rooms have no windows, and are incredibly damp. It really feels unhealthy to sleep there, and quite suffocating since cealings are really low and there is almost no air flow. The town of Atrani is great, but I would never stay at Scalinatella again, and it's not cheap either.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank tim_med
Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2009

We were recommended to stay at A'Scalinatella by a friend of my travel companion who said it was just great. Being off season we had no problem booking the day before we arrived and when we got there and found the reception and eventually got someone to come to the door we were taken to our room.

As all the other posts on here say, the hosts are great. Very friendly and helpful and basically just nice guys, and the breakfast was generous and tasty. However, there is one thing I insist on when staying anywhere and I don't care what price I am paying and that is a clean room.

This room was awful; even taking into account different standards in different countries. I am sure the room had not been cleaned for a long time. There was enough mould in the bathroom to write your name in but the worst thing was the small curly hairs all over the matress protectors. We were given linen to make our beds but still I felt as though I was staying somewhere grotty and it spoiled the stay in Atrani somewhat for me.

Further, according to Lonely Planet the accommodation provided use of a kitchen and facilities. There was a kitchen sink and empty cupboards but nothing more than that. We had to ask the hosts if we could borrow a knife and we scrounged some plastic plates off a cafe!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank juliemaree88
Munich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2009

I have come to the A'Scalinatella Hostel for more than 10 years now and find both the hostel and the town of Atrani still an intriguing and funny place to stay. I simply cannot understand, why some guests have written such negative reviews. The tiny town of Atrani is situated right next to busy and touristic Amalfi, a mere 5-10 minutes walkway away in the next little bay. Both the town and the hostel resemble labyrinths, the houses and also the numerous rooms and dormitories of the hostel are situated one atop the other. Although I have stayed here at least 15 times, I still cannot tell, how many rooms there are altogether. The rooms themselves are very simple and basic, but clean. There is a huge dormitory in an arched cave that has comparatively cool air in the summer heat. Some rooms facing the street might get noisy due to the church bells. Apart from the dormitories, there are also numerous private rooms and semi-private rooms separated by Spanish walls from each other at various locations in the town. The beach is only 50 meters away, where one can find "Le Arcate", a perfect pizzeria-restaurant, which offers very generous pizza for take-away at a very low price. Ideal for hiking and swimming. It is the best deal in this pricey area of Amalfi.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
adelaide
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2009

Italy is an annual escape. And this past European winter it was very, very cold in the Abruzzo mountains. So the thought the sun always shines at Amalfi prompted me to get on the bus and find the beautiful beach at Atrani. Well, it rained and rained and rained on the Amalfi coast as well. Anyway, this only made me look for other things ... and it was still a great trip. The guys at A'Scalinatella are always great and they do everything to make my stay at Atrani terrific. Thanks again. Looking forward to getting back at the end of the year again.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank atrani
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amalfi
Hotel Doria
#36 of 39 in Positano
Puesta de Sol
Puesta de Sol
#1 of 2 in Tramonti

Been to A' Scalinatella Hostel and Hotel? Share your experiences!