New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Villa Lara

Villa Lara
Ranked #7 of 29 Hotels in Amalfi
CharlieCapp
“Best place to stay in Amalfi for the money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I had booked the Villa Lara several months before my scheduled trip to Amalfi and I was trying to find the entrance to the hotel from Google maps. I found what I thought was the entrance, and took a screen shot and sent an e-mail to the hotel along with the screen shot. The next day I received and e-mail back telling me that that was not the entrance. I also received another screen shot that showed me exactly what the entrance looked like. The e-mail was signed Nello and even in broken English, I understood exactly where I had to park, and where the entrance to the hotel was.
One week before the trip I sent another e-mail to Nello asking that he make a dinner reservation at a restaurant (EOLO) for my wife and I to celebrate her birthday at 6:30 PM. I received an e-mail back saying that restaurants there don't usually open until 7:30PM and he asked if I wanted a reservation then. We had quite a nice exchange of e-mails and I was looking forward to meeting Nello and Lucca.
On arrival we discovered a stairway with 150 steps leading up to the hotel entrance. We also discovered a sign pointing to an elevator that took you right to the front door, a welcome sight considering we were carrying 3 bags.
When we got into the hotel, we found a charming seven room B & B with a beautiful view of the town and the Mediterranean harbor of Amalfi. The breakfast area is on a patio and has the view I just described. The room was large with skylights, and the bath area was wonderful.
Both Nello and Lucca went out of their way to make sure that we were comfortable. They answered all of our questions, recommended restaurants and other shops, and advised us on what sights to see in Amalfi, Positano, and of course, the Isle of Capri.
I would recommend this B&B to anyone and everyone.
Charlie Cappello

Room Tip: All of the rooms that I saw were great.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CharlieCapp

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed at Villa Lara for one week in August. It was a great hotel. Very quiet and an excellent view from the balcony. A great place to relax and enjoy the ocean view while being served a great Italian breakfast. The staff are really polite and friendly. Nello, Luca and Alfonso. We really felt that they were our friends. They helped with anything we needed. I highly recommend this hotel. The room was very clean. I will definitely stay there again. I loved Amalfi. I will go again very soon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

Wonderful Inn, delightfully just outside the main tourist bustle, but still only a 10 minute walk to all the activity. The magnificent setting, and excellent guest accommodations, were only exceeded by the real local warmth of the staff, who were both incredibly helpful and delightfully proud of their spectacular home. Would return again in a heartbeat! Phil

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

An extraordinary experience. The view from the terrace is exceeded only by the service. In particular Luca was extremely helpful and a pleasure to deal with, guiding us to the best dining and sights! The hotel was very solicitous of our needs and even contacted us before our arrival! A lovely experience that felt authentic and non touristic! Arun

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Arun R
Great Missenden, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We have just returned from Villa Lara after a marvellous 11 day holiday.
We choose Villa Lara due to the very favourable reviews and yes they are all true, maybe even understated.
Nello, Luca and Alfonso treat you like family and nothing is too much trouble for them.
The position of the villa is stunning with views down to Amalfi and also up into the mountains. Breakfast on the terrace overlooking Amalfi may be the new 7th wonder of the world!!
Amalfi and the surrounding areas are very beautiful and there are many walks you can easily do although I would recommend walking down from Ravello rather than upto it!!
We stayed in the junior suite complete with hot tub and large balcony and are already planning our return trip to Villa Lara next year.
Thanks again Nello and team ciao

Room Tip: Junior suite is worth the extra if you want that something extra
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

It is the people that make small businesses successful and I cannot sing enough praises to the staff of the Villa Lara.

We arrived late on a Saturday night. The doors of the lift opened and we met Alfonso. With a smile and wonderfully Italian presence, he had us checked in and suggested a local restaurant right up the street for a nice meal. It was delicious and a perfect way to spend our first night. The next morning we met the incomprable Nello and Luca. Every morning of our our weeklong stay, which was our anniversary and serving as our honeymoon as well, we looked forward to the lovely fresh breakfast of fresh juices, fresh sliced salami and cheese along with great coffee and a bit of conversation to accompany the breathtaking views over Amalfi and the sea. As we only had a week, we kept fairly local and found plenty to do by visiting the neighboring towns with a couple of day trips to Positano, Sorrento and Capri.

On Nello's recomendation, we even hiked up to Ravello. If Nello suggests this to you, be warned that 1500 steps is a lot. He will downplay this, but on a hot day take a big bottle of water and take your time and it will be a highlight to your trip. There are some amazing views and its well worth it if your up to the challenge. It was one of my favorite days for sure.

As for the hotel itself, the rooms were kept very clean and their hospitality extended to giving us an upgrade on our last night. The tarraces are lovely for sitting and reading and being just outside of the town was perfect in exchange for the unbelivable views. The hotel has the best of everything. Simple heartfelt service with a perfect location was perfectly executed. We couldn't have asked for anything more. If we are ever in that part of the world again, you better believe we will stay at the Villa Lara in a heartbeat! Thanks to Nello, Luca and Alfonso!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I cannot stress highly enough the quality of the hospitality at Villa Lara. The staff were just superb, so friendly and so helpful. Set on a hill top, the view over amalfi is stunning, especially whilst eating breakfast on the terrace. Our room was good, nothing exceptional, but still good value for money.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple