“Wonderful views; pity about the food”

Excelsior Grand Hotel
Ranked #17 of 29 Hotels in Amalfi
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Perched high on a hill almost directly above Amalfi, you need to willing to get an a bus to go anywhere - although there were a number of people that seemed to say fixed to the balcony next to the pool. I had a pleasant room with a balcony so no complaints there. Dinner was included in the cost and given the hair-raising drive to Amalfi, I did stay in a nights. The food was - to say the least - bland. Although one could be slightly more negative and say oily and tasteless. The staff were pleasant; the private beach is a thrill (going down in 2 lifts to get to the pebbles); so I end up being somewhat ambivalent about the whole experience.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Ann T

Reviewed September 9, 2013

Better late than ever. We traveled to the country of Italy from June 7th to the 17th of this year and it was our best trip ever.
Our trip started from Toronto with a 11.45 pm flight out. We normally stay the night before at an airport hotel because most of our flights are early morning but this time we checked in early and tried out the international lounge at terminal 3. We paid $40.00CND each for 3 hours of all you can eat, drink ( be careful !!!) free newspapers, charging stations, TV's and a great view of the runway with some comfortable chairs.
The trip cost approximately $1300.00 per person and it was with Air Transat. This included the flight to Rome( with options plus) transfers from the airport to the hotel ( 3 hrs south of Rome) 9 nights accommodations and 2 meals a day (breakfast and dinner) It was about a 14 hour trip from Toronto to the hotel, but it was all worth it!!
The hotel itself is situated on the cliff side over looking the Mediterranean sea and the view is breath taking! There are a total of 6 levels of rooms in the hotel and all of them have a view of the water. The food is great and the service is out of this world!!! ( restaurant staff were excellent)
I honestly could go on for pages about everything from the people,the local food,the shopping e beach,the tours and so much more but if anyone is thinking of going to his area to simply ask me and I will let you know.
This was truly the best vacation I have ever taken and I will go back to this area and this hotel!!

Room Tip: all rooms have sea view and largest balconies were on the 2nd and 3rd floor. email the hotel with an...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kclj
Reviewed September 9, 2013

My wife and I visited Amalfi, with friends, in the first week of September 2013 and had a wonderful time here.
The first impression was that it was designed in the sixties, but this somehow added to the charm of the place. I could imagine Roger Moore standing at the bar, wearing a linen suit, with a martini in one hand and pistol in the other.
All the staff are lovely, with a special mention for head waiter Anthony (or more likely Antonio).
The rooms all appear to be facing the sea and the view from the balconies come under the breathtaking category.
The food is excellent, as is eating it on a veranda above Amalfi!
Because the hotel is on a hill above Amalfi the hotel lays on a regular shuttle to and from the town - which sticks to its timetable superbly. This bus is always full, but we always managed to get on it.
We'd definitely return.
Make sure you visit Capri when you're there!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank StevieS61
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Stayed at the excelsior 23rd-30th august,exceptional views are the one positive thing r in respect of this hotel the hotel is dated and need a refurbishment throughout including thee rooms. Toiletries are cheap and nasty. The service from the staff is inconsistent some seem to care some don't. One receptionist shrugged her shoulders when we said we had no coffee for two days at breakfast. Food was good and well presented but menu needed to be more varied orange juice and coffee at breakfast when available terrible. Restaurant manager clearly had his favourite guests and gave them the best tables at dinner this needs to be addressed for future guests. Exceptional views but this is all this hotel has unless you endure a daily gruelling trip down a cliff face in a creaky bus with a crazy driver. The region is so beautiful stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank durhamrambelers
Reviewed September 3, 2013

After reading some negative reviews on Tripadvisor, it was with some trepidation that we checked into the Excelsior Grand Hotel. We need not have worried, good food and plenty of it, helpful and polite staff, nice pool area and a view to die for. The decor could do with updating, but who needed to look at the decor when you had that view.

Ronald and Ann Bridges, North Wales

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ronald B
Reviewed August 30, 2013

The food here is soooo good! For breakfast there is an enormous choice of italian breads and cakes to choose from, all home made and absolutely delicious. The bacon and sausage, as usual, are continental but edible, there is cheese, ham and tomatoes, etc for continental version.Several cereals plus milk or yogurt. Fruit juice is made from powder and not much choice of fresh fruit and if you are not there early the choice is limited to what is left out, but you only had to ask for what you wanted and they brought it to you, so that was brilliant. The three course evening meals were fantastic, 3 choices of starter, 3 choice of main, one dessert (but fruit or ice cream offered instead if you didn't like the dessert. All freshly cooked and absolutely gorgeous. The chef does cooking lessons and if you liked that sort of thing I imagine it would be well worth it, he can really cook. They provide pool/beach towels and both pool and beach are lovely. Rooms are rustic, but very clean and comfortable. The only down side to this hotel, and the reason I have given 4 stars is the need to use either the courtesy bus or public transport to get into Amalfi or to the beach, which was often full and one of our party got left behind on one occasion which meant they had to wait another hour to get back to the hotel. The staff are excellent, there is sometimes a problem in translation and misunderstandings did occur, but that is entirely our fault as we cannot speak Italian, at least they try very hard to assist in whatever you ask of them. All in all a really lovely holiday in an extremely beautiful part of the world.

Room Tip: All rooms have fantastic sea view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank NorthWalesJackie
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for just a week from 1st July this year and was very pleased. I wish I'd stayed for another week, as in reality, with flights, pick-ups etc. my stay amounted to only 5 days which was nowhere near enough.

I had a grumble on seeing my room, because it didn't have a balcony or terrace which I was expecting - the trials of travelling alone! However, it have a juliet balcony, and by standing the front legs of a chair there, there were amazing views of the sea, and Amalfi itself.

The food was good - the head waiter is very old fashioned - so don't cross him by sitting at a table without being shown to it!

The shuttle bus worked very well - I wish I had gone into town on more evenings (I wish really that I could have had only b& b, but I was on a package and it wasn't an option.

I wouldn't recommend the hotel's own beach. It's much better to stay on the bus and go right into Amalfi, which has better beaches and you have the advantage of being able to wander off and have lunch or go shopping during the day. It's also cheaper - the hotel beach costs 10 euros per day - WHAT - and I paid 5 euros on the main beach in Amalfi.

I would definitely go back to this hotel. I would prefer one in the town itself, but they are so much more expensive, and with the shuttle bus (and also plenty of local buses) this is not really a problem, and I as I say, from the Excelsior, the views are magnificent.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor - on the first couple of floors, there is probably not much of a view. Also if...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo