“Glorious”

Excelsior Grand Hotel
Ranked #17 of 29 Hotels in Amalfi
Reviewed July 21, 2013

The hotel was in a great location with a great and glorious view. The staff were excellent and very obliging and helpful and Josette (the Thompson rep) was amazing. Antonio, the head waiter was jovial, always there and ready to answer any question on anything. Jiovani was the nicest waiter eager to please. Rooms were clean and quaint. The only negative report is there was not enough umbrellas for shade by the poolside. And yes! We would return.........

Room Tip: Try not to get rooms below the 4th floor
1  Thank adena9
Write a ReviewReviews (1,078)

Reviewed July 10, 2013

We booked 4 nights here in July 2013 and only stayed 1. I t is advertised as a 4 star hotel but is only 2 star in my opinion. The only thing it has going for it is the amazing view. The staff are abrupt and very unhelpful. The rooms are very dated and run down. There is only one bedside table, no safe , old furniture, water that runs got and cold if someone else iin the hotel is using it and there is a sign saying that the mini bar will be removed if any other drinks are put into it! The restaurants are closed most of the time which is very inconvenient as the hotel is a 15 minute bus ride from town which becomes very tedious after a while. There is supposed to be wi-fi in the lobby but there was none during our stay. We couldn't 't get out of there fast enough. Stay in the town, it is much better .Whoever is responsible for awarding the star rating in this area needs to revisit this hotel !!!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lynn B
Reviewed July 10, 2013

This hotel was organized as part of the emerald tour that went under. I was surprised at how wonderful the views are I had room 508. The rooms are old but clean and comfortable. The views make up for the room. We had a small balcony as well. Theres a free hotel bus that takes you to town on a regular basis and you can also catch the town bus for 2.30 euro. Even though this hotel is about 15 minutes from Capri, there is boats that take you to positano and other villages on a regular basis. The staff were all professional and all spoke English well. free wifi in the lobby. The views are the best feature of this hotel and the food and dining area very clean and a good range for both breakfast and dinner. Not enough pool lounges and always the same problem people who decide to leave the pool area for hours at a time and leave all their belongings on the lounges.For the views a would stay there again

2  Thank vald63
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Stayed here 2 nites as part of a tour
Room was large and clean with a great view
However room was dated and some floor tiles were loose
Staff were excellent
Hotel was advetised as 4 star but is 2 star based on our room
Wi fi is poor and only in lobby area which was always hot
20 mins to town in shuttle which had no air con and also has a large gap in operating times in the afternoon and the night
I would stay in town

1  Thank beakyfish
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Wonderful views of the sea from your room balcony. Very nice hotel and great food and service but only negative is it takes about 10 minutes each way to get down to the town and back again in the hotel mini bus - and the road is very narrow, twisty and turn-ey and in places hardly wide enough for two vehicles to pass.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2013

if Venice is considered a romantic city I can definitely say that Amalfi is a piece of heaven Il “Paradiso”

and the Excelsior is the heart of this paradise
don’t miss it and visit it promptly and directly
it was really awesome and lovely experience

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WalindaLebanon_
Reviewed July 2, 2013

I booked this hotel for 6 nights based on the review on TA. I then had to cut my trip short to 2 nights because my aunt is diagnosed with cancer and is having surgery so we can go to England to visit.

I did book a non-refundable room so have written multiple times to the booking aggregate site and the hotel itself. The hotel despite knowing my situation situation has told me without hesitance they will charge me the full 6 nights even though I wrote to them saying I am keen to stay there (2 nights) I just couldn't stay longer than I had intended. I wrote to them soon as I found out, which was about 2-3 days after my booking.

My fault for booking the nonrefundable room not knowing my aunt was about to undergo surgery but the hotels hardline surprised me. Perhaps they are used to dealing with group tours and are not interested in individual traveler(s) and their circumstances. I travel extensively and am not skint on hotels so I have plenty of experience with requests on changed itinerary but I am disappointed with the attitude of this hotel and would think twice before going back

3  Thank phronima