WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Miramalfi Hotel

Miramalfi Hotel
Ranked #13 of 29 Hotels in Amalfi
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“Stunning view, a very special place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

We booked an anniversary 2 night break just two days in advance! It was here or a nice looking hotel in Sorrento. We are so glad we chose the Miramalfi. We requested a good sea view and were told on arrival we had been upgraded. We were probably fortunate as it was off-season The room was just lovely with a pretty tiled floor, a stunning terrace and spectacular views of Amalfi. We were constantly having coffee with home-made biscuits on our terrace. All the staff were friendly and helpful. The dining room also had breathtaking views. Lovely fresh breads and pastries for breakfast and amazing poached eggs made to order. We ate in the restaurant one night and the quality of the food was excellent, not cheap, sadly due to weak exchange rate, but still cheaper than the restaurants by the harbour in Amalfi. The hotel isn't grand or pompous but has a feel of elegance, with attentive and well trained staff, and because of its location and views is smart enough to make it feel a special place to stay. The only downside is the hefty18 euros a day for parking, but as we were advised that external parking was for residents only, it became a necessary expense.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 8amandag

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013

Before I talk about the quality of the room and the service a word of caution about how to arrive there if you are traveling from Naples Capodichini Airport or from Salerno Railway station. In my opinion you are better off paying for the taxi fare to reach the hotel rather than using public transport. True to how it describes itself, the hotel is situated on a cliff overlooking the Amalfi coast and there is no entrance from the bottom of the cliff or where the town center is and all the buses stop at from Salerno. I took the bus from Naples airport to Salerno and took a taxi there onwards to the hotel which cost me an expensive 80 euros. However, the alternative would have been to arrive to Amalfi town center by bus and climb the stairway which seemed like at least 200 meters from the ground to the clifftop. A steep climb and certainly not recommended if you are carrying a suitcase or if you are handicapped.There is no lift or telecabin which can take you there I'm afraid. I welcome other readers or the manager of the hotel to explain how it is possible to reach the clifftop where the hotel is situated from Amalfi town center without having to climb up the stairs.On the clifftop level there are buses going past outside the hotel but where they stop and from which station you can catch it to drop you off directly near to the hotel would be a daunting task if you have just arrived there for the first time. It certainly is not worth the hassle as it already takes more than an hour to reach Amalfi from Salerno. I think tour operators and the hotel's website should better emphasize this difficulty for the benefit of travelers who have not bought their own car or who have difficulty walking. Having said that Amalfi is a town for walking and climbing steep roads and mountains so you have to be physically fit if you want to explore the area well. Leaving the hotel to explore the town center requires you to take a public footpath which isn't so bad during the day but coming back and climbing the stairs again can be exhausting.

Apart from this complaint the view from the hotel is as beautiful as any from a picture postcard. The breakfast/dining area with a terrace and seating area offers a spectacular view of the crystal blue Tyrrhenian sea and the beautiful houses on the clifftops overlooking it. Seeing the sunshine glistening on the surface of the sea created a wonderful optical illusion of stars dancing on the sea. A memory which will last with me for a long while.A real treat. Having breakfast (which comes with the price of the room) was worth the stay at the hotel.

My room was spacious and clean and to my surprise it even had a bidet which you do not find often in European hotels. So well done for that. The room was equipped with a mini bar and all the other facilities you can think of in a basic four star hotel. One downside was the tiny terrace inside the room which was 60 cm wide and barely wide enough to accommodate one person standing. I did ask for a room with a view and I received a beautiful one only that it was from the most narrowest gap in the wall you can think of.

The entrance to the hotel is on the third floor and all rooms are based on the lower falls which seems unusual. The reception area is beautifully decorated and has a relaxing feel to it

Leaving the hotel I took my suitcase trolley down the staircase which wasn't uncomfortable and I walked the beautiful seafront to the bus station where I paid 3 euros to take me to Salerno and from thereon to Rome Termini.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Mr T
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

I spent a month deciding where to take my wife for our 33rd anniversary. We had been through Amalfi 15 years ago. I decided that that was the place for us to spend two weeks relaxing and decompressing. The hotel was "Heaven on Earth". I want to thanks the staff for all they did to make our stay off the charts.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank HE7753
Dallas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

We visited in September 2012. The hotel was very nice for the price. You are really paying for the view and location, not the hotel. We stayed in the "honeymoon suite" (remarkably it was our honeymoon). The view of "downtown" Amalfi and the ocean is amazeballs. Unfortunately the room is right next the road, but you really don't hear anything when you're in the room. Buffet breakfast was very good (included in our package). Often you can sit on the patio overlooking the ocean. Once a week they have a theme night dinner, which we attended. There was a guy playing keyboards and singing. The food never stopped.

The staff was overall very helpful. I called them in advance from The States to arrange car transfers from Napoli. (Andrea Ruocco, the owner, is awesome.) It's definitely more expensive but well worth it to have a private car for the trip to from Napoli to Amalfi. I don't recommend driving if you've never been, as the roads are VERY narrow and steep. The staff is also very good with arranging excursions (Andrea drove us on a day-trip to visit Vesuvius, Herculaneum, and Revello up the street to buy the famous ceramic Amalfi pottery. I recommend a private tour if you can afford it for Vesuvius, we had a PhD student who was very knowledgeable and well worth it). He also took us to Da Michele in Napoli for the famous pizza on our last day. The front desk forgot to give us our passports at checkout, so Andrea had his other driver bring them to us for a small fee. He was great and was more than happy to give us tips and insight on the region.

The weather in the first week of September was still quite good. It was warm enough to swim and get some sun. It would cool off in the evenings enough to wear pants and sometimes a light jacket. There are a million wonderful places to eat. Our favorite was Ristorante Il Mulino Di Orlando Giuseppina which is up the hill from "downtown" Amalfi.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank TiretreadMD
Mgarr, Malta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

We stayed 5 nights in this hotel, the rooms were clean and the view is breathtaking .... loved every moment of this stay.... the sea, the view, the seagulls flying over the sea.
The stuff was very helpful and gave us some tips where we could go and which restaurants they recommend.
We ate 1 time at the hotel restaurant, the food was very good including the desert.
I recommend this hotel for sure, both for the location, view, etc....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank DoReMeFaSoLaTiDo
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

My fiancee and I decided we wanted to do a destination wedding in Italy, just the two of us. We had no idea how to go about this but she managed to find the site of a wedding planner who has lived in Amalfi all his life. He was very knowledgeable of the area and LOVES WHAT HE DOES! The flowers he chose for the bouquet were just absolutely beautiful and the ceremony couldn't have been more elegant. But most of all we would like to thank him for directing us to the Miramalfi! The hotel staff was so excited to have us and they were very helpful, from front desk, to concierge to restaurant staff! The food was the best meal of our lives. They even surprised us with a hand made wedding cake made personally by the chef. I had the mixed marinated fish plate with prawns, fresh anchovies, mussels, clams, octopus and conch all drizzled with the lemon juice Amalfi is famous for, followed by paccheri pasta with octopus and rocket pesto sauce. For my main course I had baked sea bass in filo dough with clams and fried vegetables. The white wine the wedding planner recommended from the region was absolutely delicious and paired perfectly with the meal (I believe it was called 'Falanghina'). Anyone who would write this kitchen a crap review either is extremely picky or couldn't tell the difference between ramen noodles and alpo. Just FYI the meal itself wasn't anything different from the current menu they were offering, so it's not because we were there to get married. If you'd like to see the photos our blog is at dolcesognoitaliano.wordpress.com

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank skArShellshock
Chippenham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

Walked into our room and blown away by the view. Beautiful room. Swimming pool lovely also immediate access to sea swimming. The restaurant served great food. One if the best hotel experiences of my life!

• Stayed April 2012