“Very good location but old furniture”

Santa Caterina Hotel
Ranked #1 of 29 Hotels in Amalfi
Goiania, GO
“Very good location but old furniture”
Reviewed October 14, 2010

Very close to Amalfi town, the pool area is very nice, very good service, great view. Hip factor 70%. This hotel is not a boutique. The furniture in the room and all over the hotel is a little bit old. On Amalfi we recomend Eolo restaurant.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 7, 2010

The hotel was really nice, but a little too formal for my taste and definitely too pricey for what you get (especially in the restaurant). I prefer high quality lodging, food, and service in a relaxed setting. The location was great, the pool and man-made beach/jetty were really nice and exactly as we expected. The elevator through the rocks down to the sea was amazing, but the topography is such that you don't have sun after 3 or 3:30 pm. We didn't want to sunbathe much, but the beach loses its allure when people start to leave, you need a towel to cover up because it was a little cool, and you can't really go swimming since there's no sun to dry off in afterwards. The powerboats pulling up for hotel guests to go on private boat excursions was also a real turnoff because of the noise and gasoline pollution. The large number of American guests, particularly from NY and NJ was a bit off-putting and I am from NJ -- I just don't want to travel 4,000 miles to feel like I'm on the Jersey shore. It was also annoying to be in Italy at a hotel where I had to twist the staff's arms to speak Italian -- English, English, all the time. The pool staff were great (very friendly, no problems getting extra towels, etc), but they were more like waiters than lifeguards (not the experience we have had in Liguria and made me less confident in their abilities should the need arise). The water was also very deep and pretty rough, but enjoyable (except watch out for jelly fish). The pool was heated, has two depths and a nice ledge to sit on by the rocks. The hotel has a nice gym and very nice manicured grounds/gardens. The restaurant by the pool for lunch and upstairs for dinner was pretty good, but super expensive -- 30 eu for a chicken breast or 38 eu for a grilled fish fillet, not even the whole fish, is about double what you would pay at a good local restaurant. The grilled vegetables were very tasty so we pretty much enjoyed those everyday. The pizza wasn't good to me -- I saw good reviews, but I don't know why because the crust has no flavor, which seems to be typical of the region. It's also ridiculous at 19 eu, when I got the same pizza in town for 5 eu.

Now to the real positives: Room was lovely with a huge balcony (we booked a garden view and got lucky with Rm. 23 on the 1st floor, which is really the 2nd floor). The bathroom was nice, although I would have chosen different tile and tub -- the bedroom has amazing acqua colored tile, but the bathroom wall has a tired dark yellow tile that just looks out of place. Breakfast was really good, including roasted vegetables so I had roasted vegetable scrambled eggs every day (super tasty, don't knock it until you've tried it, the fennel was especially yummy). They also have fresh-squeezed oj, though they don't tell you about that, you have to ask persistently, and I didn't realize it until the 2nd to last day). I think there are too many sweets, but one of the sweet challah-type breads was addictive. The bellinis at the bar and fruit smoothies were lovely at the pool , but at 18 eu each, they kind of hurt a little. The local green olives are amazing.

The one thing that bothered me was that the Santa Caterina doesn't automatically offer dishes that have high quality, expensive ingredients, but they will do so if you ask. For instance, the chicken breast entree came with horrible tater-tots instead of some higher quality, unfried side. We requested a vegetable and a whole plate of broccoli rabe came out, but why don't they just do that from the start? Why should you have to ask for that when you're paying 30 eu for the entree? It seems to me that the hotel cuts corners, and for 460 eu a night, that just shouldn't be the case. Additionally, the hotel allowed a large, American tour to have lunch at the hotel one afternoon and they were a raucous, drunk group that was gawking down at us on the beach and was really tacky. I know the restaurant isn't private, but they should not allow tour groups to come through just to earn an extra buck. It really degraded the 5-star nature of the hotel and hotel management's reaction was "We couldn't say no," which is laughable and ridiculous. The hotel's internet connection is also super slow -- 4 lines for 66 rooms and 5 hotel front desk staff is insufficient, the one public computer was ridiculously slow and there was often a bit of a line. We took a private car to Pompeii and two and from the airport. We had one nice driver out of three -- Pepe. One other complaint is that although the hotel was super clean, the restrooms by the pool and gym were not maintained/cleaned enough so that was frustrating.

Amalfi itself is cute, but super touristy (especially if a cruise is in town) and really tiny -- 15 min and you've seen the whole thing. The ferry to Positano and the bus to Ravello were really great -- Ravello is so refreshing, the air is like you're in the Alps. All in all we are happy we went to the Amalfi coast and we wouldn't have stayed anywhere else (Santa Caterina is the only hotel I found with a pool, beach, and elevator to the beach), but we weren't completely satisfied.

Da Ciccio was a great neighborhood restaurant with amazing spaghetti with clams, olives, and tomatoes in parchment paper. Franco told us about them and they came and picked us up for dinner -- seems to be a thing in Amalfi. We also ate at La Campanina, about 15 min up the mountain in Pogerola, the owner picked us up as well. The food there was good, but Da Ciccio was better and closer, although somewhat more expensive (dinner for two, salads, pasta, whole fish with 1/2 bottle of local wine for about 80 eu).

• Stayed September 2010
2 Thank DCHighExpectatTravel
West Hartford, CT
Reviewed October 5, 2010

What the Santa Caterina truly has first of all is location, location, location. Amalfi is not as desirable to me than Positano, but Positano is about 25 minutes away, is teeming with tourists and I think i liked being able to be a bit away from it. The town of Amalfi is not that great, sorta small, but depending on what you're looking for it is adequate. We had a car so could get to other places fairly easily, although driving on the Amalfi coast is pretty insane! Unfortunately, we could not get their lower class room when we booked and so we upgraded hoping one would become available, which did not happen. We were paying quite a bit over $1000/night. When we were shown to our room we thought the set up was quite odd. the room was very large and beautiful but very long and dark. there was only a sliding glass door at the absolute far corner of the room, which led out to a lovely deck with lounge chairs, a table and a beautiful view, but there was a tree that the deck was built around which completely shaded the little light coming into the room. this room was in the "Garden" building which is quite a walk from the main building. the other rooms in that building looked fantastic, i think the reason ours was set up that way was because of it being placed at the end of the hallway. I don't recommend room 71. The overall set up of the place is fantastic. The pool is not all that beautiful but the fact that the pool and surround are just steps above the water is fantastic. They even have those styrofoam type noodles to take into the water with you. The breakfast room is gorgeous, on an enclosed patio with wonderful views. Breakfast is included and i thought it was very good. There is also a place to have lunch which is a couple of levels above the pool and again with beautiful views, and the food was quite good, the house wine was especially good! We ended up having our room changed halfway through and although it didn't have all the amenities of the cave room we were in, it was much lighter and brighter and it was also beautiful. My only complaint about that room is it is a bit noisy due to its location and the fact that it was almost directly under marble steps, and in a marble hallway, so in the morning all the noises of the cleaning staff and other guests could be an issue. That was room 4. My husband loved this room because it was in the main building and therefore you didn't have such a long trek everywhere. I would stay there again, but i would be more specific about my room requirements. Oh, and i do want to add that they gave us one other option a day earlier and i thought the room was disgusting. The decor and furnishings looked old and the room had a musty smell. Don't remember room number but it was a lower class of room. Made me wonder how it got a 5 star rating. Still had a great view though. All in all I think if i hadn't paid so much I would feel better about this place, it just didn't live up to the cost. Because of how it is built, going all the way down to the water, can't really be beat.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CTtraveler08
south shields
Reviewed September 15, 2010

arrived in May and this hotel was everything and more. The staff were extremely friendly throughout the whole hotel. Our room was immaculate with lovely comfortable beds and an amazing views and were cleaned daily and we were left lovely lemon smelling creams and soaps. The scenery was second to none and we ate our breakfast on a lovely big terrace. At night the terraces and bar were lit with candles and music was played throughout while the bar staff brought you little snacks. The smells of lemons and honeysuckle everywhere. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and can't wait to return.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank eddySouthShields
maui
Reviewed September 11, 2010

Everything was top notch and first class! The hotel should appear under the definition of sophistication and Romance. The staff was attentive to every need. It is really one of the most beautiful hotels in all our world travels. Attention to details abound. If my boyfriend and I get married I would love for it to be here!

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed September 9, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed here the last week of August. As soon as we walked inside the hotel I felt like I was swept off my feet. We were met by Franco , who made us feel like we had come home. Very professional and welcoming. Our suite was in a separate building from the main hotel with a beautiful pathway leading to it. The room was spacious and beautifully decorated with a large terrace overlooking the sea and coastline. The bathroom was roomy as well and the shower equipped with a rainshower and side bar showerheads. Everything on the property including the pool, spa, and restaurant was beautiful and well kept. We strolled the pathways through lemon and olive trees, grape vines and bougainvilleas down to the pool while having a fantastic view of the sea. Very romantic. We never made it to the restaurant for breakfast as our terrace was the perfect retreat for room service in the morning watching the day awake. I researched for months before our trip to England, France, Spain, and Italy and have to say that finding this property was the best stay of our trip. Well done Santa Caterina!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BarbaraW75
Virginia
Reviewed August 15, 2010

That was the comment from my lovely sister-in-law. While she enjoyed our travels through Italy (and we stayed at some really wonderful places both in Italy and elsewhere), this is the only hotel that earned such a review from her, ever. The service, the view, the food, the location... all quite spectacular. Unfortunately, during our stay in March, it rained "spectacularly" as well (big surprise that 60% of the hotels on the peninsula are closed at that time of year). Despite the rain we LOVED it! And, for an expensive hotel, it was definitely worth the cost. Our bathroom tub overlooked the water, as does the pool (which was closed for the season). We will, of course, choose a better time of year when we can enjoy the pool, but we will definitely return. The service was very friendly and top notch. We ate just about every meal in that dining room, too, because we couldn't imagine finding anything else in town that could surpass. The beds were super comfortable and the rooms very quiet and nicely sized.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank vita-brevis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amalfi
NH Collection Grand Hotel Convento di Amalfi
#12 of 29 in Amalfi
Hotel Aurora
Hotel Aurora
#8 of 29 in Amalfi

Been to Santa Caterina Hotel? Share your experiences!