“Truly Luxury, Amazing Hotel”

Santa Caterina Hotel
Ranked #1 of 29 Hotels in Amalfi
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights and it is truly Amazing. The service is great, courteous and friendly. The rooms are large and clean. The view is breathtaking. The staff really do go above and beyond to make sure your stay is as comfortable as possible. If you are planning on staying in Amalfi, definitely stay in this hotel, it is truly an experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank alicina79
There are newer reviews for Santa Caterina Hotel

Reviewed September 4, 2013

My GBF brought me for an unforgettably luxurious break here. Our arrival was unauspicious - it was all I could do to keep from vomiting all over the reception's elegant marble floor after our taxi driver's enthusiastic style of driving around the winding coastal road from Naples. The concierge took one look at my white face and upgraded us to the honeymoon suite. Never before has a honeymoon suite been less used for its intended purpose but hey. What's not to like about a free upgrade to a private suite of rooms with a balcony overlooking the Bay of Naples, a huge jacuzzi, and free champagne on arrival? And between us and the rest of the hotel, a pathway through a terrace of lemon trees, which in May was full of scented blossom.

The staff continued to spoil us throughout our stay and called us their favourite couple. They seemed not to mind two idiotic 25 year old Brits cantering along their marble floors making horse noises, reading 19 century novels at the breakfast table, or J's screams as he attempted a swim in the Med (apparently he usually only swims in the West Indian sea, the git). This is the sort of hotel in which you only really need to go out for dinner. Otherwise eat in so you can spend the rest of your time lounging on the private beach terrace, reading, sleeping, sunbathing, and swimming. And yes, the sea is about 6 storeys down, but there's a handy lift set into the rock which saves your legs and lungs.

Thanks, O Santa Catarina, for a perfect honeymoon.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank LucyAshtonGeering
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is the finest hotel I've ever been to. Not only is it in a magical, beautiful place. It's where the stars stay (literally and figuratively!) This was a once in a lifetime trip. Save your $ it is worth every penny (euro). The food is great. Staff is wonderful. The views are breathtaking. And the hotel itself-lush! The memories/experiences you make here will forever be ingrained in who you are!

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank bugssy
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My partner and I were traveling with our 20 year old niece who wanted ocean proximity. The swimming dock was quite lovely and we enjoyed the sunbathing. We also enjoyed the easy walk or cab to downtown Amalfi.

Both our rooms had "terraces" but the street noise was so loud and intrusive that we did not wind up using them. otherwise the rooms were quite comfortable.

The Concierge service was exceptional.

The hotel has two restaurants - the poolside "casual" place, and the more formal dining room off the main lobby. Both were, in my opinion, extremely overpriced (we're not cheap, but expected better quality and better waiter etiquette/service). The restaurants in Amalfi were quite pleasant and a better value.

One thought I will leave you with - we visited Ravello, up in the hills -- and fell in love with it. It was quiet, artistic, out of the way. If ocean proximity is not your driver, you may want to explore accomodations there.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Astilbe_Arendsii
Reviewed August 31, 2013

So enjoyed our stay here. Beautiful hotel with fabulous views and an amazing pool. Above all the most fantastic staff, they really went above and beyond and were so welcoming and friendly. Loved it here and very much hope to return.

Room Tip: Definitely go for a sea view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Naomi H
Reviewed August 30, 2013

The first thing to mention about this hotel is the location. In Amalfi, as far as I know and I made a good amount of research, there is no other hotel with a private beach and direct sea access. This is what makes Santa Caterina unique in the area especially for those like me who want to enjoy the sea, although it is not the best sea you will swim in. It looks better on photos but I did not see anything very special about the sea here like a great color etc... The rooms are very nice but do not expect a modern style, like almost all hotels in Amalfi Coast, this one is also classically furnished, which is very nice though. The size of the room is really good, we stayed in a superior seaview one. The view is amazing from the breakfast and the rooms. The hotel is around 10 mins walk from downtown Amalfi, they have a shuttle too if you do not want to walk. The lunch is very nice and the service is great, staff is very friendly and smiling all day. My only question mark was the price tags. Almost 700 Euros per night could be a little too much and increase the expectations of the customers to a different level about the facilities. I believe the sea access part I mentionned is the main reason for the extra charge on the prices. Overall, I would recommend the hotel but definitely go with a standard sea view room, I do not see any reason to go up to 700 Euros or more unless you have a special occasion. All rooms have sea view anyway and the extra you will pay will be just for the size of the room.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Eren3
Reviewed August 30, 2013

This hotel is amazing. I travelled with my wife and three kids in August to amalfi and found the hotel just by browsing trip advisor. It is extraordinary in almost all respects: service levels are beyond anything I have experience, the suite (I had 37) swallowed us all and had a fantastic sea view, the breakfast terrace is amazing and the beach/rock face is good, well supervised and kid friendly - the elevator ride to it is also an amazing experience. There are things that could be better but few:so for me improvements in food (other than breakfast which is great) could be made for the price charged -particularly at lunch. The shuttle service to Amalfi is ok but not excellent - half hourly is too infrequent and the last run at half six gets you to town an hour before the restaurants open which is too long with kids. The timing also means that the is no longer a return shuttle for the ferries that return from a day away from amalfi which is poorly thought through. Particularly as the walk back (which is doable in 10 minutes) is not entirely safe for kids due ri lack of pavement for stretches. Everything else however is impeccable. Take a deep breath before asking for the bill!

• Stayed: August 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amalfi
NH Collection Grand Hotel Convento di Amalfi
#7 of 29 in Amalfi
Le Sirenuse Hotel
Le Sirenuse Hotel
#6 of 38 in Positano

Been to Santa Caterina Hotel? Share your experiences!