“Old World Luxury with modern amenities in Amalfi”

Santa Caterina Hotel
Ranked #1 of 29 Hotels in Amalfi
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We arrived at the Hotel Santa Caterina with much anticipation after a 15 hour transatlantic trip and a four hour drive in a rental car from Rome’s Leonardo da Vinci airport. We were exhausted and we were greeted by two friendly and helpful Bellman/car attendants who escorted us to the reception desk. We had reserved a deluxe seafront room with a balcony and were escorted by the front desk clerk (hate to call him a clerk… he was more than that) to room 27 which did not disappoint. The view from the oversized balcony was breathtaking. The room had a large, comfortable king-size bed looking out onto a balcony with a table and two chaise chairs, a flat screen TV, seating area , and a large bathroom with a whirlpool bath and shower.

Having traveled almost 24 hours we decided to freshen up and have an early light dinner in the hotel restaurant. In a word, it was a throwback to years past with impeccable service along with wonderful food. The captain who took our order suggested a few dishes that my wife and I tried that were just great. I should mention that the restaurant overlooks Amalfi Harbor and provided a fabulous view at sunset. In the morning there is a wonderful buffet breakfast (with an omelet station) in the dining room and on the adjacent patio. The patio is open for dinner, as weather permits, and we enjoyed dining there another evening.

While we did not make use of the swimming pool along the water below, it looked absolutely appetizing and if we come again we will be sure to enjoy the area as well as the restaurant which was not opened up yet for the season when we arrived. We did enjoy the lobby bar after a long day for drinks that were great along with fine service. Since this was our first extended stay in Amalfi, we did make use of the concierge service and Gennaro, in particular, was most helpful in arranging for restaurant reservations and giving us sightseeing suggestions.

While the hotel was outstanding in all respects, I always find that you can separate an exceptional hotel from the great ones by how they handle problems. We had a problem with an unknown odor in our bathroom that affected my wife who has allergies. Within minutes of reporting this problem we were offered a room next door (that happened to be a mini suite) and bellmen were sent to help us move our belongings. That room, room 28, had a hallway entrance along with a living room and bedroom and was located on the southeast corner with views of the harbor and the sea. The bottom line is that we love the hotel, hope to go back and will certainly recommend it to anyone that asks. We just wish we had more than four nights to stay and enjoy Amalfi, the hotel and its old world service.

Room Tip: If you think you want to sit out on your own balcony, some rooms have larger ones... and you should...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank flywheeler
There are newer reviews for Santa Caterina Hotel

Reviewed May 22, 2013

My family and I stayed at this magnificant hotel last August. The location is perfect. On the water with a beautiful pool (which you take an elevator built into a mountain to access). Ten minutes to the center of Amalfi and not far from Positano and other great places. Lobby is beautiful and service excellent. Rooms were very well appointed and the breakfast which was inluded was super. Eggs to order, fresh cheeses and breads, fig and lemon jams from their own trees. This is truly one of the most spectacular places my family has ever stayed at. Restaurant was spectacular for dinner and you cannot go wrong here.

Room Tip: Try to be away from the main house where it is a little more quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank FredSiegel
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We arrived at this most beautiful hotel close to 10PM and the very friendly staff at the hotel encouraged us to go immediately to the dining room for dinner before it closed around 10:30. We were in travel clothes (including running shoes) but they welcomed us warmly as we were and didn't make us feel out of place. The meals at the hotel were absolutely delicious and portions quite abundant - as we found throughout Sicily and Southern Italy. When we went to our gorgeous room overlooking the Sea with a balcony, we discovered why we were encouraged to not freshen up/change clothes before dinner. It was quite a walk to get to our room!! We took an elevator down a few floors, then the fun began! Walking and more flights of stairs down, more walking and finally into our section of rooms and then up another flight of stairs. But when we made it to our room, it was gorgeous. Beautifully appointed and totally picturesque with balcony opening onto the Sea and the bathroom also had a large glass window open to the Sea. (We did see some rooms right off the elevator, so if stairs are a problem, they do have a few rooms you could request.)

Getting to the pool was another adventure - flights of stairs up and down - and then taking the elevator that went along side the cliff (beautiful if you wanted to look out) to another dining/party area where you found a few more flights of stairs to the gorgeous pool area that looked right out onto the Sea.

The staff at the Front Desk couldn't have been more friendly or helpful. The Dining Room Maitre'D, Pino, was most attentive as was the rest of the restaurant staff (morning and night). The housekeepers were always friendly if we should meet them in the halls - and anything we needed came immediately to our room. They offered a shuttle service to "town" during certain times, but we also ended up walking a few times. It's a good thing the restaurant at the hotel was so good because it wasn't easy going to town just for dinner after a long day out and about. A few nights we ate "snacks" at the bar outside the restaurant area and enjoyed that as well.

We stayed at this beautiful hotel for six nights and loved our experience in Amalfi and the surrounding areas. (We took the boat from Amalfi to Positano one day and to Capri another day - and took a day tour of the Amalfi Coast which was beautiful.)

Room Tip: If you can't easily walk the stairs, ask for a room near the elevator. And of course, ask for a...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank beemorr
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I traveled to Italy for a Tuscan cycling camp in May 2012. The week after camp a friend of mine and I spent 3 days in Amalfi before going on to Rome. He and I were both given rooms facing the Mediterranean, and they could not have been more spectacular. My balcony jutted out so far that it almost seemed to hang over the Sea. Sitting on that balcony drinking Tuscan wine at night with a view of lit up Amalfi to my left was breathtaking. If I had been told that I was dead and that I was in heaven I would have been totally happy with that. It was that good.

While in Amalfi we spent a lot of time on the property because there was really no reason to leave - massages every day, lying out down by the pool, eating at the INCREDIBLE restaurant, etc.

I told my friend that when I get married I want to go back to Hotel Santa Caterina for my honeymoon. I'm not 100% sure my girlfriend will be up for that, but I will certainly do my best to make the case for it.

In short, I can not recommend this place enough. Magical.

Room Tip: Go through a reputable Virtuoso travel agent. Mine got me a very nice room upgrade.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

We loved our stay at the Santa Caterina, the rooms are beautiful and the breakfast is excellent.

The staff is efficient and attentive making the stay special!

Location is a plus, one of the best spots in the Costiera Amalfitana, you have to book a sea facing room if you come to this hotel!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Santa Caterina hotel is such a great find. The rooms, location, pool, and intimate bar and morning breakfast were all wonderful. As long as the Euro is in your favor....go. Viva Italia. You know you're in Italy.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I wanted to stay someplace very special as the "cherry on top" of this vacation as a gift to my wife for her 50th birthday and the Santa Caterina Hotel was the perfect choice. Our Junior Suite # 5 and the entire experience at the SCH exceeded our expectations at every turn. From the gorgeous property, to the cleaniness of the room, to the incredible views from our balcony, to the service offered by the entire staff.......this place simply will make you feel like Royalty. A special place for your special trip of a lifetime! Highly recommended!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mywickedshelby
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amalfi
NH Collection Grand Hotel Convento di Amalfi
#7 of 29 in Amalfi
Le Sirenuse Hotel
Le Sirenuse Hotel
#7 of 38 in Positano

Been to Santa Caterina Hotel? Share your experiences!