My husband and I spent almost a month in Italy for our honeymoon in October 2013 and we spent 3 nights at this hotel.
What we LOVED about this hotel:-
1) Location - Excellent. Located on a hilltop, our room (#505) had great views of the town and sunrise! We thoroughly enjoyed breakfast on the terrace watching the sunrise in the morning and I must say, the pastries at breakfast were the best and the freshest we had in Italy. Also, it is only a short walk from the city either through the little lane on the left of the hotel running parallel to the road through a quaint residential area or alternatively, you may also take the staircase (located a few steps away from the hotel parking lot) which leads straight down to the beach. I cannot emphasize more on the location of this place!
2) Staff - Very friendly and helpful staff. We had a problem with our bathroom which kept flooding each time we took a shower and the receptionist on night shift was very helpful. She cleaned up the bathroom for us and brought us a whole bunch of new towels.
3) History - We were in Rome before we went to Amalfi and had the opportunity to visit the Capuchin Crypt (which is breathtaking and truly one of a kind!). Coincidentally upon checking in to this hotel, we learnt that it used to be a convent for the Capuchins! We were completely blown away by the history of the place which made it all the more interesting.
Room for Improvement for the Hotel:-
1) Bathroom - Aside from the amazing views the bathroom window had to offer, our shower experience was terrible. Firstly, for every half a minute, the water in the shower turned burning hot and then icy cold before returning to the adjusted temperature. This happens each time we took a shower so I don't suppose this has anything to do with peak hours. Secondly, there are no shower curtains and the built-in partition covered only 1/3 of the length of the bathtub which you took your showers in. Naturally water splashed out of the tub and all over whenever we took a shower.... constantly flooding our bathroom each time we took a shower! As a result, my husband took to building a fort of towels at the foot of the bathtub each time before we took a shower. Terrible.
2) Beds - Pretty hard, but that was generally our experience throughout the whole of Italy anyway.
All in all, great experience nevertheless and we wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place to our friends (with due warning on the shower experience beforehand). Hope the hotel does something about the bathroom soon!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The NH Collection Grand Hotel Convento di Amalfi has been and continues to be one of the most significant monuments of the entire Amalfi Coast. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, NHHotels, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Cancelon, Agoda, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your NH Collection Grand Hotel Convento di Amalfi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.