“Wonderful food and excellent service!”

Taverna degli Apostoli
Ranked #5 of 108 Restaurants in Amalfi
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Loved it! Not a typical tourist restaurant - small restaurant hidden next to the cathedral up the steps. Will definately be eating there again!

There are newer reviews for Taverna degli Apostoli

Reviewed July 19, 2013

I ordered the beef steak which was very tender and cooked perfectly. The service was quick and friendly, and we were seated straight away after having walked away from a nearby restaurant where we waited for at least five minutes being completely ignored. The red wine was nice and so was my partner's bolognese, however, I do prefer some more meat in the sauce. The menu is fairly limited and there are mostly seafood dishes which made it difficult for me to choose a meal as I don't eat seafood, however, I was pleased with my meal in the end.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

This was a great restaurant tucked up a set of stairs behind the cathedral. The food and service was excellent. I loved that it was out of the main traffic areas and more intimate.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

This was our favourite eatery in Amalfi. We even went back to eat again during our 5 night stay there. The staff were ultra friendly and engaging. It is run by two brothers, who proudly brought out their mother who had cooked the whole meal! The lemon pasta was lovely, but my favourite dish was the maccheroni with napolitana sauce. The antipasto was also excellent. We later bunched into one of the brothers at the beach and he remembered us and had a chat, which only endeared this place more. The view of the courtyard and church is also a lovely draw card.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

Tucked under the steps of the Duomo on the mezzanine to the left of the staircase is a hidden jewel of Amalfi's dining scene. Family run since the time of WWII, this restaurant delivers Italian home cooking at its best. The ladies of the family are cooking their specialties in the kitchen, and a team of brothers provide attentive and helpful service. The choices a perhaps a little more limited than what you might expect, but everything is prepared very well (we dined there four times during our week-long stay and tried most of the menu). We dined al fresco each visit and experienced soft jazz music in the background, candles flickering in nooks and crannies of the wall, and the cloudless, moon-filled sky above. Elderly neighbors in the adjacent buildings came and went about their business, and kids from the neighborhood (including the daughter of one of the brothers) played up and down the stairway. What a slice of the Italian good life!-- it was like living in a scene from Cinema Paradiso.