“Great Atmosphere”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 27, 2013

My husband and I decided we'd just walk around and pick a place to eat. This was a good pick! It's a small family-owned place. There's something about it that I really liked. Maybe it's the cute grandma who didn't really speak English who served us for a little bit. Maybe it's the group of guys who came in to sing during dinner. It was just a really good feeling being there, eating.

We ordered a mussel app that was delicious. Fresh mussels, just enough flavor. My husband ordered an assorted fish entree...I don't think he knew what he was expecting because it literally is just lightly breaded fish assortment. Anchovies, calamari, and shrimp. He liked the dish, but I think he might have been expecting more. I tried the calamari, and that was good! I ordered an entree that had swordfish and a prawn. It had potatoes and tomatoes in it. That prawn was sooo good...I really liked my dish. We also had their house wine. I thought that was ok. I can't remember the price, but I do remember thinking it was less expensive than what I was expecting.

Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

The first time that we've felt that our custom wasn't wanted while in Italy - what a shame!

We had chosen this restaurant after walking past during the day and looked like a place the locals were eating (usually a good sign!) - what a disappointment. We were put in a corner of the restaurant despite there being empty tables else where - it felt like because we were tourists we weren't wanted! Such bad service.

On a positive note, the food wasn't too bad but not worth the effort to visit!

Reviewed September 6, 2013

A restaurant that proves looking just a little off the beaten track can pay dividends. It's tucked away just off the main street, up an unpromising looking flight of steps (there's a signpost at the bottom for the restaurant). There's a choice of indoor or outdoor (but covered) tables, we chose outside, but indoors looked lovely & authentic too. The menu is classic Trattoria & Pizzeria, with an excellent range of pizza, pasta dishes & meat & fish courses. Over several visits we sampled both the Insalata Caprese & the house salads, which were delicious, simple ingredients done right! The pizza's were exceptional, definitely in the Southern Italian style (slightly thicker, but made with such a light dough this did not result in a heavy pizza). The Pizza Napolitano was outstanding, & my partner was equally glowing in her praise for her Pugliese! We also tried Veal escallop in lemon sauce, again it was delicious, as were the accompanying vegetables. Service was excellent, the waiter spoke very good english, and made good wine suggestions. The end of meal espresso was also great, standing out as one of the best we had, which in this area is high praise! Perhaps the most telling point to make is that each time we ate there, there was always a steady stream of locals collecting boxes of Pizza to take away, as well as plenty of Italians in the restaurant itself. And the really good news is that all this comes at prices which we found significantly cheaper than many other Amalfi restaurants, which we found largely geared towards relieving tourists of their cash rather than providing the food this area is legendary for. Highly recommended!

Reviewed August 28, 2013

This place is where the locals go. It is real Italian food. We loved it and went there several times. My son only liked this place and their food is as close as you get to home cooking.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

The waitress did not speak any English and didn't hide her disdain for our poor Italian very well. Food was good. Pizza and ravioli were above average. However, at the end of the meal we stayed for 5 extra minutes to finish our glasses of wine. I don't know if this angered them, but one waiter made a show that was clearly directed at us before we left. And one or more waitresses yelled down the alley as we walked away. During our 2 weeks in Italy, this was easily the least friendly place we went.
In short, the direct attacks on the "Americanos" overrode the food quality.

1  Thank RRussell67