“Naples”

$560.82*
Private Day Trip to Pompeii and the Amalfi Coast
Ranked #743 of 3,444 things to do in Campania
Reviewed March 27, 2013

My girlfriend and I visited Naples on a day trip from our base in Sorrento. Like everyone else has said it is incredibly dirty with bags of rubbish, litter and graffiti everywhere you look. We didn't feel safe walking around and there is a surprising lack of police around. Its a real shame as there is bags of potential for it to be great city, but its ruined by the high crime rate and filth. We visited the national archaeological museum which was a disappointment as around 50% of the exhibits were shut but what we did see was good and built on what we saw at Pompeii. Maybe if the city sorts its many social problems out it would be a great place to visit, but I certainly wont be going back anytime soon.

3  Thank Bazerarti

Reviewed March 3, 2013

I have just spent, with my husband, 12 nights in a pleasant flat in the well-named Via Purgatorio in the old quarter of Naples. I would have PAID not to go. I have only just stopped trembling. You risk your life endlessly with cars and motorbikes in streets so dark you cannot see the sky and so narrow that, when a vehicle approaches, you turn your toes towards the wall to protect them, and wait to be hit. One way systems, pedestrian areas, traffic lights - all are constantly ignored. The piles of domestic refuse, the dogsmess and the parked vehicles force you off what tiny pavements exist. The police, which are numerous, are so impotent, they cannot even arrange the towing-away of cars blocking bus lanes. They try - and so do the towing machines - but one phone call demonstrates that the offender is too powerful to be upset. I knew Naples was corrupt, dirty, decrepit and covered with graffiti but did not expect it to be worse than cities I have visited in Africa and Asia. You would never believe you were in Western Europe, in the EC. As for the much vaunted food. If you like tough, plain pizzas, day after day, Naples is for you. Any other Italian dish will be plain and very expensive. Pasta and tomato sauce 7 - 10 euros. No other cuisines are represented at all. We walked 14 kilometres around the city one day in search of a decent restaurant. Not only will you be endlessly cheated (no house half litre carafe of wine at 4 euros like it was yesterday but a bottle of plonk starting at 15; every shop price rounded up to full euros) but the people are rude, surly and barging beyond belief. I had a motorbike handlebar shoved, hand and all, inside my anorak by a driver intent on driving off, although I was on the pavement. My husband had a handlebar shoved up his sleeve and the rider was irate because lack of space prevented him turning the handle and driving off, pedestrian in tow.
Why did I go? To see the museum. Having been disappointed with Pompeii, years ago because everything was 'in the museum in Naples', I resolved to see it. (We spent 6 hours there, spread over 3 visits.) You can also avoid motorbikes temporarily in the botanical gardens (free).
Naples is a time-warp of 1950s - even the graffiti is old-fashioned 'Down with the imperialists'. The tourists are other Italians and we watched them being conned just as much as we were. 65 euros for one plain pizza, one antipasto, water and a bottle of wine in the plainest of surroundings! Foreigners arrive on a coach-trip, dash into the museum (which does not even have a cafe or books in English while many of its rooms are unheated with information in Italian only and much of it clearly wrong) and get out again - which is what I recommend.

4  Thank screeennameFrance
Reviewed December 5, 2012

It's a TOILET, no I've been in nicer toilets give it a miss a total nightmare.very unsafe very intimidating we were targeted by two thieves working together very lucky to have got away
With our possessions, not so lucky on the transit system cost us €85 for a €2 fare due to a simple
Mistake,a feeding frenzy for every money grabbing transit inspector (w**ker).please give it a miss.

4  Thank B P
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I have read some of the reviews about Naples and can totally understand why they are so mixed. We went for four days and there wasn't time to do everything we wanted to. If you arrived here for a short time with no information or guide (such as a short stop on a cruise) I can imagine the impression Naples offers would be sadly lacking. Many parts of the city are a labyrinth of cobbled, narrow streets that are in many cases dirty and full of graffiti. Look past all of the surface grime though and it is a fascintating place. There are underground tunnels, funicular railways, an unfinished underground metro system and tons of history. Yes the traffic is totally manic and it would be very easy to be run over by thousands of mopeds but once you get used to it, do as the locals do and weave between it! There are castles - visit Castel Sant Elmo at the top of Vomero Hill. You can get on the funicular railway to the top of the hill and the views over the bay are amazing right out to Pompei. Most importantly though this is a city of two distinct parts. In order to understand it you have to see the Chiaia area which is completely different to the 'old' city and beyond this out to the sea. Get on the Metro out to Mergellina and walk down to the coast. Here you will find wide streets with little traffic and quiet hotels facing the sea which is a complete contrast. If you have time and a good map walk back towards the old city and you will pass through an area of designer shops and a quieter more refined district. Around the bay near Castel dell Ovo there are numerous restaurants with tables on the streets looking out to sea. It isn't a cheap place, but then again, what city is? An average 2 - 3 course evening meal with wine will set you back around 70 euros. It is a typical city where you do need to have your wits about you, but I felt quite safe. It would easy to dismiss it in a moment, I'd encourage you to look further and see it for the heady, mad, enthralling place it really is.

2  Thank cathyo3
Reviewed September 28, 2012

....and this goes for Campania....no other companion will do. Amalfi coast including romantic Sorrento, Isle of Capri, Anacapri, Positano, Vesuvias always holding sentry....the BOSS..no mistaking. Enough about the places....now the people....warm, embracing, romantic....they make love to you just by looking at you, and come on admit it, we all want to drown in the sea of love. They love with passion and debate with passion but oh they know how to shake hands at the end....no animosity and no bearing of grudges....it's too damn hot to do so !!!

So raise a glass of limoncello to our return to the land of the truly lovely people...oh of course...the food...healthy, fresh, tasty. Tomatoes that taste as juicy as tangerines...Olive oil like a wine decanted for two hours....but no waiting game here, straight out of the bottle poured onto homemade arromatic rosemary pitta...mozzarella di bufalo....creamy and tender on the tongue. We were kissed by South Italy...next time we're going back for an all round rib-breaking bear hug.....Can't wait !!!!

1  Thank Alison K