“My wife was very satisfied with my choise!”
Review of Monodendri Hotel

and 1 more site!
Monodendri Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Monodendri B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I also have stayed in Monodendri village in the past. This time I chose this hotel because of the new large terrace in front (nice spot) . They proposed us a room to the first floor, but my wife wanted a room higher. Then the lady showed us a room in the very last building. It was room number 12, a corner-room. The all building is very quiet because no road drives around. This side of the hotel, goes directly to the internal village which is perfect. In front of that side there is an old platen tree giving the impression that belongs to the hotel, but it’s a public square! We stayed three nights and we saw no people there. The room was big with a fire place very nice view above the roofs of the village houses. The other side of the room was looking through the balcony to the platen-tree. The room colors are very relaxing, the ceiling is wooden with sculptures. The bathroom is also big, with big mirror and a big window! in it , There are also the known small shampoos etc, and nice fresh towels. The door of the shower–cabin is not very steady though, even it looks new. The only problem we faced was when we were walking towards the first building for breakfast the first day it was raining and we didn’t have an umbrella so we got a bit wet. The lady gave us an umbrella to use for the next days, but I believe something like a deckhouse for the rain would be the appropriate. I assume no problem in summer. As a conclusion I have to “declare” this: My wife was very satisfied with my choice!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Kelsos33

Reviewed February 28, 2013

Me and my girlfriend stayed for two nights and we did trekking around Monodendri. We booked through the hotel's webside. We arrived in the morning from Ioannina and we started walking directly before our hotel check-in. The area is perfect for walking , even the temperature was low (5-6o C). We crossed Vikos Canyon (6 hours to Vikos village ) and we had dinner there. Best thing from all these, was when we got back to the hotel in the afternoon ,it was already dark ,a luxurius stay was in front of us: very clean and warm room , soft clean towels with amenities , hot shower , new furnitures and Sat tv,friendly atmoshere with the room colors makes you feel like home. Next day, breakfast was full - the hotel wasn't very busy- and Marios -the landlord- prepared us nice cappucccinos coffees for both of us and fried eggs! We enjoyed very much this breakfast for an extra reason: smoking is not allowed in breakfast room; the Hotel provides another "mountain cafe" where we saw people smoking. Really our stay was a luxurius stay with normal prices. I hope one day to visit the area again , but I will try to do it in summer time...

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Chris S
Reviewed February 2, 2013

we have spent our Xmas vacation in Zagori area. We stayed 3 days in Monodendri hotel and 3 in another guesthouse in Papingo village. This guesthouse offers high quality accommodation for a reasonable price. The rooms are all of them new, made according to the local architectonic style.

We have booked via their website. Communication via email was quick and with no problems. It was for the first time I didnt have to use telephone to book in a greek hotel!

As I was informed by Marios (the very friendly and knowledgeable owner) they whole guesthouse is recently build, just 2 years ago. But these people are not new in the business, they were running the old Monodendri guesthouse since many years ago. Hotel facilities are of top quality, breakfast and dining was always warm fresh and delicious.

We have had a wonderfull staying in this hotel and have enjoyed the majestic nature of Zagori and the Vikos gorge (6-7hr walking). Marios is very resourcefull and have helped us with the organizing of the walking in the gorge. Certainly a place to come back in the future.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank asphondel
Reviewed October 8, 2011

The views from our room were incredible. The room was lovely, stylishly decorated, and spotless, we felt really pampered. Our host was wonderful. The food in the restaurant was lovely .It’s a modern hotel run by a traditional family team, which is what makes it for me! We arrived without booking a room first at lunch time, and yes, the family were very busy at the time, so after checking they had a room available, we went off exploring, why spend time in a (be it lovely) room when there is a gorgeous village to explore! Didn’t bother trying to get WIFI we were on holiday so can’t comment on how that works, we had ample of hot water also. I think its worth noting, that when travelling in rural Greece, not everyone speaks English, because we are in Greece, however, our Host’s English was impeccable. Great value for money!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Daysaillgreece
Reviewed October 4, 2011

We were a party of 12 and used the Monodendri Hotel as a central base for walking the Vikos Gorge to Vikos village and other villages in the area.We stayed in September 2011 The Hotel has a new building which is in excellent condition. Wifi works well and plenty of hot water after it runs for a while. The food is possibly the best in Monodendri with a good selection of starters and main courses. Marios and his family worked hard to meet our needs. Marios knowledge of the area and his advice were invaluable when it came to planning walks. He organised a mini bus to pick us up at the end of walks and drove it himself on 1 day. We had a wonderful stay and the walking and scenery were superb. I have no hesitation in recommending the hotel and expect to visit again in the future.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
6  Thank derek b
Reviewed September 6, 2011

We were staying for three days in Monodendri in August 2011. The hotel has a new building, finished in May 2011. Therefore everything is new and very nice. Meanwhile WLAN is working well (differently to the situation in April) and also the mentionned issue with the warm water is meanwhile solved.
Marios and his family try to make your stay as comfortable as possible. The village is small and very quiet, as Monodendri is at 1000m height, we even did not require any air condition in hot August. The hotel is a good starting point to many hiking paths like the famous Vicos canyon - Marios could assist you in selecting nice routes.
The restaurant in the hotel is also worth to recommend - we ate all the three days here and you don't need to select just Souflaki or Bifteki but you can get also traditional greek food, simply try it.
In case of we would return to this area we would stay again in Monodendri hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank PeterTraveler187375
Reviewed August 20, 2011

I relunctantly gave a poor rating due to the hot water issue.
Room and bathroom new and pristine. Breakfast and dinner very good.
Free parking on street. Could be a problem in high season.
Owner is stressed did not have time to explain much to us upon check in. The two other staff there (presumably his mother and wife) did not speak English. In addition to managing he transports guests, does reservations, cooking, waits on tables. Needs to hire more help. He also asked me to include the fact he had 7 correspondences with me including a cancellation for a second couple. Apparently he considers this an imposition. After seeing my orignal review he asked me to state my nationality in it. Draw your own conclusions.
Reason we would not return: On the second morning we did not have hot water for showers. When I spoke to the owner he told me that he uses a solar heater so in the morning there is not always enough water. This is unacceptable to us and is a deal breaker. Otherwise I would recommend the hotel even without the wifi.
I knew in advance there would be no Wifi at the hotel but when I asked owner where there was wifi in the area, he told me not in any of the surrounding villages but I found it at the Matzato Hotel/Restaurant across the street. We ate meals there for the wifi though meals at the Monodendri better. After seeing my review he told me that he was refering to ISDN access and his competition is using a satellite modem for the guests which he was unaware of. The competing hotel btw advertises free wifi right on the menu sign in front of the hotel on the street. According to these sites 3 additional hotel sites in Monodendri that do offer wifi:Vikos Guesthouse http://www.greeka.com/epirus/zagoria/hotels/zagoria-vikos/index.html
Arhondiko Zarkada http://www.monodendri.com/enpage3.html
Ladias Guesthouse http://www.ladiasmonodendri.com (in lobby)
Price was very good. Location very nice for touring the area if you have a car.
There is lots to see and do in the area in terms of nature and history. Many guest houses and family restaurants in Monodendri and they stay open until late in the evening. There were at least two tourist shops in town.

I did not see any grocery stores in the area though I am sure they were there. Bought fresh fruits from a truck.

Tip: Be sure to stop by Info Center for North Pindos in nearby Asprangeli for maps and info. Very helpful.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Shahama1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monodendri
0 mi away
0 mi away
Konstantinou & Elenis
Konstantinou & Elenis
#3 of 6 in Monodendri

Been to Monodendri Hotel? Share your experiences!