“A Great Experience!”
Review of B&B Casa Blanca

B&B Casa Blanca
Ranked #5 of 146 Reggio Calabria B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I decided to spend the night in Reggio Calabria on my way to Sicily from Rome and booked a room at B&B Casa Blanca based on the many positive reviews I saw on Tripadvisor. When I arrived I received a warm welcome from the owner, Sergio, who provided me with lots of helpful information on the city. After walking around in this beautiful town I decided to stay another night. Unfortunately, there weren't any available rooms for that night at Casa Blanca, but Sergio was able to provide me with a room at his other B&B - Possidonea 28. He kindly brought my luggage over to the new B&B the next morning while I went out to continue exploring the city and then went over to Scilla, a small and picturesque fishing town which Sergio recommended seeing. It was an absolutely great way to spend the afternoon at the seaside! Reggio turned out to be a pleasant surprise and Sergio made my short stay there worthwhile.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed December 26, 2012

We spent several weeks traveling around Calabria with friends and were delighted to find such a quaint B&B while staying in Reggio Calabria. The staff was very pleasant and helpful, giving us lots of great suggestions about where to eat and what to see. The location was great too - very close to the main strip. The rooms were extremely comfortable and spacious and we felt perfectly at home. It's too bad we only spent two nights there! We would definitely return.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this delightful B&B in September. The location was great because we could visit the city easily on foot. The rooms were spacious and clean and decorated in Provençal style, which we absolutely loved. Sergio, the owner, was always available to answer our questions and gave us lots of great advice to make the most of our stay. He even assisted us in renting a car so we could explore Sicily comfortably. We would definitely recommend this charming B&B to anyone visiting this lovely city.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 18, 2012

Our spacious room was clean, bright, and very tastefully decorated. For breakfast there was always fresh pastries, rolls, cereal, coffee and juice. We could eat in our room or outdoors on a nice rooftop terrace. Our host, Sergio was extremely helpful from the minute we arrived until we left. He explained how to get around town and was kind enough to print out schedules for a train to Scilla and a ferry to Messina. He also recommended great places to eat. I'm glad so many other people share our views of this wonderful B&B! Would definetely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Pros: The two people who greeted you were nice. Sergio (day) and Vicky (night)
The restaurant next door is quite good.
Vicky helped us find us place to park our car quite by luck.
There was a remote to work the AC
We had called 2 hours earlier and told Sergio we would be there at 7:30 pm and Vicky was waiting in the doorway when we arrived.
That's where it ends.

Cons: It was difficult to converse with Sergio over the phone, his english is better face to face. The day we left Sergio was gone by 10 am. It was before we checked out though we had alrady paid. The breakfast we were promised appeared to be put out the night before and was ravaged by a school group and we were left with hardly anything and there was no one around. By the time I saw Sergio I had lost my hunger. He suggested visiting some sights so we walked around but the town really doesn't have much to see and is not very pretty. When we came back and the maid was in our room. Why was she there? we weren't out yet and we were trying to leave. She left the bed half made and left.

So we had to deal with 3 different people even though we were there just a short time. Absentee ownership. No pride. It was our worst experience in Italy.

There were garbage bags stacked up eight feet high on the corner. No one to help with luggage when leaving. Parking was a nightmare and just driving there was an adventure. I had gotten a fix on my GPS and it took us close. Then my wife spotted a restaurant which was next door to the B&B and we then knew where to go. Otherwise the B&B's name did not stand out and we could have been next door and missed it. The town gave you the impression they don't take pride in themselves. One thing I found interesting, that no matter what driving mistakes I made I never heard a horn honk. The room looked nothing like the picture here. Dingy. There was a machine for making coffee that you stuck your room key into. You were shut off when your credit ran out after about 5 espressos for your 24 hour stay. Luckily when I ran out Sergio fed the meter. There was no breakfast room. The food was on the side of a hallway. Nothing about Casa Blanca seemed inviting.

Tip: Mind your wallet. Three young men approached us right outside and made us feel very uncomfortable. They were standing across the street then saw us and came over and then stood by us for no apparent reason. We saw the restaurant and got our bearings unlocked the door, as it was after 10 am and Sergio had left, got to our room, got our bags and left to see the Bronzis. Sergio had showed us on the map where they had been moved to during the four year renovation of the museum. It wasn't specific enough so I asked him to show me where they were on my GPS and he got it perfect. We made the long slow drive through streets backed up with traffic and got to the museum. Sergio said there was plenty of parking so I pulled into the lot and was told I had to find a place on the street. There weren't many but I was able to park. Once inside you had to view the Bronzis through a window and they were not upright but laying on their backs. But it was free and the building was modern and they let us use their toilets. We got in our car, did a uturn and headed out on the freeway easily from there and returned to the construction we got into on the way down and once again went through endless of tunnels and over towering bridges. Civil engineers job security for sure.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
bbcasablanca, Proprietario at B&B Casa Blanca, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2012

I can’t believe that anyone would be pleased to have it said that they carry out their work without pride and that they live in a city without any. I must ask Mr. Jeff and Ms. Barbara to excuse my level of English. I continue to make the effort to improve upon it but, evidently, I am still unable to speak as fluently as some would like. I can confirm that my colleague, Viky, was punctual and welcomed Mr. Jeff the evening he checked-in while I, Sergio, performed the check-out. The third person that Mr. Jeff seems baffled to have encountered at our B&B was none other than Monica, the housekeeper, as I myself have not yet acquired the skills to properly clean the structure. As to Monica’s appearance in Mr. Jeff’s room after the check-out period had concluded, it was to prepare the room for the new guests arriving later that day. As Mr. Jeff can surely recall, he had already packed his bags and officially checked-out of the B&B. We extended him the courtesy of leaving his bags securely in the room while he visited the city. As I had already spent more than a half an hour with Mr. Jeff that morning adjusting his GPS system so he could easily reach the Bronzes, I did not see any problem in stepping away from the B&B once his check-out was complete.
I apologize to Mr. Jeff that the abundant breakfast, brought fresh to the B&B at 6:30 every morning, was eaten earlier by the other guests, namely the group of doctors, not students, who were staying at the B&B. I understand that this can be frustrating. If Mr. Jeff had only let me know, I would have certainly provided him with breakfast, as this is a service we provide all of our guests. As for Mr. Jeff’s coffee complaint, he and Ms. Barbara consumed a total of 9 coffees during their 16-hour stay at Casa Blanca. Normally, guests are offered one per day, as it costs the B&B 50 cents for each coffee. However, as Mr. Jeff noted, it is our habit to continually refill the keys to allow guests to have an additional coffee.
How exactly does Mr. Jeff justify saying our small team of punctual, friendly and available staff is lacking in pride? His judgments of the city, notably after having spent only 16 hours here, seem completely out of context for a review of a bed and breakfast. It’s surprising that Tripadvisor would permit Mr. Jeff to publish a review which is not only judgmental and personally offensive, but also makes an unfounded criminal reference associated with the B&B with Mr. Jeff’s tip to “mind your wallet” simply because three men crossed the street near him. Mr. Jeff, I can assure you that we are proud of our work and we perform it with honesty and passion. I would prefer to have read some constructive criticism that could have helped us to improve. Unfortunately, this was not the case.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

This is a great Bed and Breakfast hotel. The room was very nice and of good size. The bathroom was large by European standards. The location was central. The owner, Sergio, was very, very friendly, and the breakfast was good. Reggio di Calabria is a small city of 180,000. It is very safe, and it is very nice. It has a small town feel, but offers many of the things larger cities would.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 9, 2012

After transferring to the beautiful city of Reggio Calabria, I anxiously awaited my family’s very first visit to the city I now call home. Naturally, I wanted Reggio to make the best impression possible on my family and so choosing where they would stay was key. I chose B&B Casa Blanca after reading the many positive reviews on Trip Advisor and I have to say that we were not left disappointed! My family could not stop talking about how beautiful and spacious the rooms were. And it was incredibly convenient to have a top-notch restaurant adjacent to the B&B, particularly for that first evening after a long flight. The B&B’s location made it easy for my family to explore the city center on foot and it was very close to the train station to get to Scilla, which they enjoyed very much. Sergio, the owner, was extremely kind and welcoming and was more than willing to provide my family with information throughout their stay. I couldn’t have picked a better B&B for my family. A heartfelt “thank you” to B&B Casa Blanca from the Melledy family!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family