All reviewscentury churchold churchtrap doorthree levelsdeluxe roombeautiful hotelboutique hotelunique experienceheavy bagssmall roomsleeping arealower levelrock churchcave hotelcobbled streetsworth the effortparking garage
Reviewed July 11, 2018 via mobile

This a beautiful small hotel with only a handful of rooms build in an old church that itself was build in a cave. It is located in the old city and the location is perfect for everything you want to see and visit. The staff is very friendly and helpful. They can advice you on where to park your car and where to have dinner (but we were lost in the maze of streets after having turned two corners...). Don’t be fooled by the photo’s the hotel shows: not every room has a bath, only the more expensive ones...

Stayed: July 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ronald v
Reviewed June 27, 2018

All I can say is WOW, this hotel is amazing. The staff are so friendly and take the time to show you the rooms and answer any questions. They even showed us a room after the people checked out since every room is different. The breakfast was really nice and a good selection of items. I never knew how cool it would be to stay in a cave until coming to this magical place.

• Stayed: June 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed June 9, 2018

We spent one night at this hotel based on the rave reviews online - the concept and design of the rooms ( we stayed in 1004) was fabulous and WoW factor was 10/10 when we first arrived. The view onto the sassi is incredible . I do feel however considering the overnight tariff paid the hotel lacks the finishing touches expected in accommodation at this level. Eg Complimentsry bottled water ( and sometimes beers and chocolate) is usual in most places, however these items were chargeable from the minibar . The breakfast consists of basic continental style however below aversge cereal and a poor section of days old fruit was offered - in general the breakfast left a lot to be desired. In conclusion the property is quite charming however as mentioned previously there were many small touches that could easily be offered at little cost to the management and allow the property to reach a higher standard .

Stayed: June 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Susan S
Reviewed June 2, 2018 via mobile

Spent the most relaxing 5 days in Matera with this hotel as a base
We managed to find parking in a road about 5 mins from the hotel for a small fee each day
The walk to the hotel is a little tricky but found it eventually and is down cobbled steps
On arrival we were offered a very reasonable upgrade to a suite which we snapped up and spent the stay in the lovely room 1004
This had a huge bathroom with amazing rainfall shower. Sofa and storage for clothing with steps up the sleeping area
This steps are quite steep and very smooth and wouldn’t have risked using them in the dark!

The bed was huge and ridiculously comfortable and the room very spacious with a great view of the sassi from the small window

Breakfast was plentiful but very cake/bread based but also had boiled eggs, yogurts and fresh fruits! Coffee and juices and even if you were up late they still offered it

The reception staff were all incredibly helpful, gave many recommendations of places to eat and things to do and were able to sort out an unfortunate parking ticket

The location was perfect as only a short walking distance to many restaurants and bars shops

I would highly recommend a stay here

Stayed: May 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2018

We were travelling through Italy for three months and we had made so many bookings that I was sure I would have made some administrative mistakes.
Thank heaven my mistake I made was with Hotel In Pietra. I booked a room for a month before we would actually be there. The first I knew about it was they emailed me to ask what time they could expect us and I looked at my confirmation and realised my mistake. My apologising email back to them explained that I had booked the wrong month. They were unbelievably gracious and understanding and they simply changed my booking for the following month without charge. I was so grateful.
When we got there it was even more fabulous than we had imagined. We had a room that had a brand new spa bath in it, with a canopy bed. Very very beautiful. They also gave us advice of local restaurants which were great.
Thanks guys for your hospitality.

• Stayed: May 2018, traveled as a couple