“What a magical experience!!!”
Review of L'Hotel in Pietra

and 1 more site!
L'Hotel in Pietra
Ranked #5 of 30 Hotels in Matera
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We had a fantastic time at L'Hotel in Pietra! Beautiful room with a fantastic terrace overlooking the incredible city. We were there with 2 kids who were amazed!
Stunning room, clean and with everything you need
great little breakfast and wonderful staff. This was really an experience!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Last month, I spent eight magnificent days in Matera at L'Hotel in Pietra. Everything was perfect. You really feel the experience of living in a cave.

Because I stayed there for eight nights, and was traveling alone, I booked a double room for six nights, and a suite for my last two nights.. Both rooms were wonderful. The double room had a window view of the sassi and the cathedral, while the suite had an outdoor terrace with the same spectacular view.

The breakfasts were delicious. Everything was fresh, with lots of variety.

Best of all was the kind, and friendly staff, especially Roberto, Arianna, and Gianni., Brecause of their help, I was able to make the most of my time in Matera. They helped me determine which sights I could see on my own, when I could join a tour, and when i needed a private guide. They also helped me get in touch with various tour companies and guides. As a result, I was able to see even more than I had expected at minimum expense.

I would recommend anyone to spend as much time as possible in Matera, visiting the sassi, the cave churches, the museums, the shops, the cafes, the restaurants, the parks, and just enjoying the feel of this wonderful town..

What's more, I would only stay at L'Hotel in Pietra. You couldn't go wrong.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank carolcantore
Reviewed May 20, 2013

This is not your run of the mill hotel, and that is what makes it so special. It is a restored church in the Sassi district of Matera. A "cave" hotel. Very clean, comfotable room with unusual decor. The owners Roberto and Christina, along with the rest of the staff, are very welcoming. You have to walk a bit from the parking garage, on cobblestone roads, so it may not be for everyone, but for us that just added to it's charm. We really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gaillea
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at L'Hotel in Pietra. This boutique hotel is a restored stone church that has all the modern amenities you enjoy, but also maintains the ambience and experience of staying in the sassi. It was definitely one of the most interesting, yet beautiful hotels we have stayed in. I highly recommend booking the Suite - it has a both a stone bathtub and amazing shower carved into the cave. The room has ambient lighting, adding to the experience and has an excellent view of the sassi from the window. It is well worth the cost.
From the moment I contacted Hotel Pietra, they were extremely accommodating to ensure our stay was the best. They are truly kind, friendly and caring people that take pride in their unique hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aaron B
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in for one night in July of 2012 and can't say enough positive things about the experience. The hotel is located in the old Sassi area of Matera and is partially built into the soft tufa rock. The reception/breakfast area is part of an old church and is absolutely spectacular and the staff were helpful and pleasant. I parked a ways away as I don't believe there is any parking nearby, however, someone will meet you at the parking lot to carry your luggage if you call them in advance.
I stayed in a single room that was really great and I think some of the larger rooms are even more spectacular. It's truly a unique experience to shower in what feels sort've like a cave (but a very nice cave!). It has a real high end boutique hotel feel to it, music piped in throughout, beautiful (but small) bathroom, free WIFI in rooms, small fridge and very comfortable bed.
The location is right in the middle of anything you would want to see in Matera and I would recommend this hotel to anyone at anytime.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank brian6d
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Very interesting hotel, and not too expensive. If you are visiting the Sassi, you might as well stay in one of the dwellings (the deluxe version that is). Good breakfast as well. If you stay for longer, or think you might spend more time in your room than just to sleep, you may want to choose one of the larger rooms, not the basic one. For us (1 night), it was just fine.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank HKT_13
Reviewed April 2, 2013

My wife and I stayed here in Jan 2013 and I can honestly say that it was one of our favourite experiences.

We loved the design of the hotel and the location was fantastic - walking distance from Sassi and the new town.

The staff were more than willing to help out in any way possible from booking you into restaurants or renting you a bike.

I would strongly advise anyone to visit this hotel.

Room Tip: Spend a little extra and get one of the upgrades. The basic rooms can be a little small.