All reviewssant angelocave roombeautiful dining roomall mod consamazing hotelsister hotelold townunesco sitelittle thingsweek triphotel restaurantyogurta great place to stayfantastic stayunique locationper daybeautiful city
Reviewed August 11, 2018 via mobile

We only had one night here. We chose it as it look reasonable amongst the 5 star prices. It was a great location and the room and views were great. The breakfast was outstanding, the restaurant setting is fantastic.
We felt it fell short of 5 out of 5 for us, as we had issues late in the evening with the Air Conditioning that did get resolved as we kept going back and forward with the staff member, who said it should be working fine, and we had to keep pressing to get it resolve at about midnight. I also asked for an Ice bucket, and I don’t know if it was a language barrier from our end, but it seemed like it was going to be hard to do. Again we pressed them, and got to go to the restaurant with the staff member from front of house, and they said no problems and got one for us. So easy!
In general the staff were great but these little things were a bit annoying and didn’t need to be. So falls short of 5 star for us.

Stayed: August 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2018

Drove into Matera from Alberobello
Used valet parking service, 25 euro per day
We arrived before check in so rooms weren't ready (used this time to explore the city).
The hotel is famous for its rooms being in the caves, however, our room was a standard hotel room. I cannot say the room was very impressive. We were there for a wedding and my wife was disappointed there was no iron or full length mirror. They offered a ironing service which was very expensive.
Our friends in the cave room had a beautiful room, however, they too were not happy due to the smell of cigarette smoke wafting in from a neighbours room.
Buffet breakfast was good with pastries, breads, cheeses, espresso
Overall for the price paid I expected more so I could not recommend staying here

• Stayed: June 2018, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 2, 2018

We had two other 5 star hotels in mind though were happy with our choice with Sant Angelo in the end.
On arrival we were shown to our room and we were quite underwhelmed as it was so dark and not at all what we expected. Quite claustrophobic. There was not a problem at all as we were shown 2 other rooms up higher on the hill and both were fabulous.
The room we chose was large, bright and airy with a beautiful view from our verandah.
Bathroom had lots of space and a very comfortable bed. We were very pleased.
There are a lot of steps and all cobblestoned paths which did not worry us though could be a hazzard to some.
Buffet Breakfast was not great as it took so long for replacements to be bought out, fresh fruit, bread and other things. Orders were very slow at arriving. I think they are very under staffed however all staff at the hotel were very good and helpful.
Would have loved dinner outside on the terrace though they only do so in perfect weather which was a shame, rain was predicted!! We di not eat dinner inside the restaurant.

Room Tip: If you want cave rooms they are quite dark and claustrophobic. Best to choose rooms high up
  • Stayed: June 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 2, 2018

Stayed in Sant'Angelo in Matera for a wedding and we found our visit to be very frustrating. I'll start with the good stuff--the hotel is a beautiful venue with well maintained outdoor areas and gardens. The rooms are all unique and interesting (most of them built into caves), and the breakfast was outstanding.

Unfortunately, the hotel is very poorly run and we had all sorts of issues. I'll list them off:
1) The cave rooms are very musky and dank. They smell like mildew and the hotel has not invested in any dehumidifying solutions. The bed sheets feel soaked all night (you literally stick to them). The rooms visually look clean but don't feel or smell like it.
2) Our next door neighbor smoked the whole time and for whatever reason, the smoke traveled extremely well between the caves so it was like we were smoking ourselves
3) The hotel does not have any on-site irons and has limited turnaround service to have clothes ironed. I had to walk 30 minutes to a friend's hotel where they did have irons (so it is not a regulation issue) prior to the wedding ceremony.
4) The internet did not work in our room. Despite multiple requests to the front desk, they were never able to resolve.
5) The phone also did not work in my room which meant I had to run down to the lobby (about a 5 minute walk) every time I needed something or to try to troubleshoot my internet issues
6) There is zero parking on the property and the hotel charges 25 euro per day to valet. This was a very unwelcome surprise when we got there.
7) The bell services are understaffed and take very long to get to your rooms. The hotel is laid out over several floors up a hill so naturally they have to run up and down to a lot of rooms (no elevators and a lot of steps). The boys worked hard and had great attitudes but they could not keep up with all the requests. I opted to carry my luggage up and down just to save time.

I had friends stay in apartment-style hotels up the hill for half the price in places that were, though not as "unique", frankly much more comfortable and functional.

I hate to say it because the venue has so much potential but I really can't recommend this place because of how poorly it is run. It is way too expensive for what you get.

• Stayed: June 2018, traveled as a couple
Biagio S, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Sant'Angelo Luxury Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2018

Dear Albert,
we are sorry to read this review because during your stay we satisfied all your requests.

1) Caves rooms are very ancient and they are the reason of our success, of course there is absolutely no musk inside (this is very funny comment)
2) "the smoke traveled between the caves"??? maybe the problem is that you kept your door open all day long?!
3) the other guests request our laundry service that we made at an extra cost that maybe you didn't want to pay
4) Wi-fi correctly works in every rooms
5) telephone works too (by the way, from you room to the reception is 50 seconds walk)
6) we are in the Sassi di Matera, Unesco Heritage, of course there is no free parking
7) our valet are very prepared in their work, and they do that very good

Your defamation is so heavy and absurd, speaking about false accuse to people that work correctly and care about the guest is such a style fall of you.

Reviewed June 20, 2018

Cave rooms are surprising but really comfortable.
The staff ins very helpfull and kind.
The restaurant is very nice.
The breakfast is really great.
One regret : the hotel is quite difficult to find and to approach by car.

Stayed: May 2018, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank JLI1960
Biagio S, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Sant'Angelo Luxury Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2018

Dear Guest,

thanks for the review and we are sorry for your difficult about find the hotel but how you how could you see our resort is not a conventional hotel in a not conventional place.
Sant'Angelo Luxury Resort is located in the most beautiful square in The "Sassi Area" is one of the beautiful "Unesco World Heritage".

We hope to see again!