All reviews sant angelo cave room beautiful dining room all mod cons amazing hotel sister hotel old town unesco site little things week trip yogurt a great place to stay hotel restaurant fantastic stay unique location per day beautiful city
Reviewed October 21, 2009

Our room was very large, comfortable, & clean. And we had an unbelievable view of the Sassi and caves from our room. The hotel is extremely convenient to all the sites (it is in the middle of them) and the newer parts of Matera.

The hotel's restaurant was excellent and had great atmosphere. It was a bit pricy but we had a very enjoyable dinner.

Parking was conveniently located next to the hotel though it is not owned by the hotel. Parking was not an issue during our stay but it could be in the busier times of the year.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2009

A really lovely unique hotel in a fascinating town. A few things let it down, the air con was very noisy and controlled from the reception, but the room was comfortable when we had it turned off. We arrived at 11 in the morning and felt we did not receive a warm welcome. We were told that our room would be ready at 2pm, and they would look after our luggage. We were very tired, both of us had bad colds and it was pouring rain outside, so we asked if there was a chance the room could be ready earlier but we got a shrug of the shoulders and told to come back at 2pm. So we had to go and find somewhere warm to wait for our room. Check out is at 10.30 am and I really could not see how no effort could be made to get our room ready earlier. When we returned at 2pm there was a lovely lady on reception who was far better than the man who met us earlier, she was warm, friendly and helpful as she showed us to our room. She also recommended a great place to eat that was exactly what we were looking for. Breakfast was lovely and the restaurant staff very nice. Overall it is a beautiful hotel and we enjoyed staying in a cave. But they could improve the air con and the welcome was far from 4 star.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank luna101
Reviewed September 15, 2009

I can be really honest with my reviews on Trip Advisor, ultimately I think it is helpful to these hotels to give precise feedback. I can honestly say that this was an amazing hotel. This place made me melt. So beautiful, so unique. I would go there again and again.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank duffyd
Reviewed September 14, 2009

Wow, what an amazing hotel. As soon as we spotted it from the car-park, I was smitten. The rooms feel so separate from each other that it's like having your own little villa. You couldn't get a more perfect base for exploring the beautiful town of Matera. The rooms were elgantly decorated and furnished, although our air conditioning was completely ineffective and very loud. So much so that we slept without it on the second night and although it was hot and stuffy in the room, it was better than having the noise in return for no cool air. We complained about it the first morning and they promised to look at it but didn't. I was disappointed with this because the service otherwise was exemplary (including the woman serving breakfast remembering that I drank tea, not coffee, after we'd only stayed there one night!).

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RLM1981
Reviewed September 9, 2009

great service. No lift but porter to carry luggage to rooms. Beautiful environment. Big beautiful bathrooms and bedrooms. Overlooking Sassi. Free Parking in Square below hotel.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple