“very friendly and helpful”
Review of B & B Nel Muro

B & B Nel Muro
Ranked #22 of 195 Matera B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“very friendly and helpful”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I had a really nice room with tv & bathroom. When I decided to stay a couple more nights the room had already been booked but they transferred me around the corner into an apartment with kitchen etc. at no extra charge. The location is excellent and very quiet. They gave me great tips on where to eat good and where to buy panini - supermarket is nearby but not obvious to find. They made me feel at home and further improved my experience in this wonderful town.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Bergamo
Reviewed August 11, 2012

WOW ! This place is amazing!

I have travelled all over Italy, and on this trip we (wife, me + 2 kids) travelled through the Adriatic Regions on the way to Sicily (and back up the Tyrhenian) side, but this was without doubt the highlight of our stay. The b&b is in an amazing position, the building is quite incredible in itself, the hosts are wonderful and Matera is unforgetable. The hosts are Matera locals. This is the real deal. I only wish we had more time.

I've read a few well-off folks' winging about comforts, cleaniliness, parking, etc.: "Give me convenience or give me death!". Quite. JUST GO TO A BIG HOTEL AND BE DONE WITH IT!

Au contraire; Giuseppe met us where we parked, hauled up one of our bags, the room was beautiful, (he did the renos himself when a builder), comfortable (and we were there when it was 43°C) and inside one of the old Sassi houses, the history explanations were detailed (Giuseppe did tour guiding when younger), the breakfast was great (Italians don't have huge ones, folks) and the view from the balcony (breakfast and evening drinks) was unique.

I highly recommend this place, and will return as soon as I am in the area again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
NL, Canada
Reviewed June 29, 2012

I found B&B Nel Muro on google earth. The location looked perfect, so I contacted the B&B directly. The owner, Giuseppe, turned out to be a wonderful host, and the room was perfect! He met us in the Piazza Duomo to unload our luggage (which is only a 10 second walk from the B&B) and drove with me to the nearest free public parking lot...Parking in the sassis is all but non existant. We had a triple room with a queen bed for my wife and I, and a twin for our 10 year old son. Both beds were crisp and comfy, and the room was spacious and spotless!! It had the added bonus of satelite TV and a mini fridge, and a beautiful high "sassi style" ceiling. The breakfast was served on Giuseppe's terrace overlooking the sassi. An amazing view of an extraordinary city! While it wasn't a buffet breakfast like some other larger B&B's we stayed, it was some of the best coffee and cakes we had on our three week vacation in Italy...made by Giuseppe's wife, and served by him with a gracious smile. If you are looking for quality clean accommodation in the sassi's of Matera and enjoy the personal touch of a smaller B&B, then don't hesitate in booking B&B Nel Muro. (see pic of room, terrace view, and Giuseppe with my wife and son)

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed October 13, 2011

I booked this B&B based on the reviews Tripadvisor and unfortunately I was quite underwhelmed by our stay here. There were no clear directions to the B&B while it is not easy to find - it would be a good idea to tell guests how to get to the B&B. We had a room that was not located in the B&B itself, but just off the Piazza Duomo. The location itself is good, but the room was very spartan and the worst thing, there was no window and no fresh air at all. There is some kind of ventilation system, which was very noisy, but that didn't seem to work at all. Because of a lack of a window or even just a vent shaft, it was also the darkest room I have ever slept in, which made it all feel a bit claustrophobic. I think we had the worst room of the B&B, but be aware and ask for a room with a window when you choose to stay here.

Antonia, the owner of the B&B is very nice and hospitable, so no complaints there. Also the breakfast, served in the kitchen of Antonia's home, while simple is nice with home made cake, coffee and bread.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JeroenS_AMS
Lucerne, Switzerland
Reviewed August 23, 2011

It was just great staying there. First: call them when you get there, they gonna pic you up! (btw it is included in the service, so don't worry they don't charge you for the ride) the rooms are very clean, the owners are very welcoming and outgoing, It is very central and whatever you wanna know, you can ask the owners, they are happy to help you. AND when u get there, ask them a restaurant to go, they gonna tell u the best place ( with low prices too) where you can eat. the food in this restaurant is like from a italian "nonna", soo delicious! (but i can't remember the name of it, but is close to the B&B)
the breakfast is simple BUT all u eat is homemade, i loved the jelly she made! you eat in their home, where u feel like home!
Grazie a voi siete una famiglia molto gentile, era bellissima di stare nel vostro B&B e mangiara la collatione nella vostra casa!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Ginaperl
rome
Reviewed July 28, 2011

Well, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, it was a wonderful week end with my husband in this unique & peculiar city.Tonia and Giuseppe, the hosts, were very nice, and most important, the room and the bathroom were very clean. It's just that it was a little different from what I expected after reading the reviews: for instance I didn't know that the room was located in another street from where I had breakfast, which was served in the family small kitchen on a very small table, and not on any terrace looking on the sassi( it's just a balcony, anyway). I didn't know that the room might be very humid and warm, since there's no air circulation: moreover I have to share the house with another guest, so I couldn't keep the door open. He left the door of his room open when he left, so I noticed that his room had a tv, while there was no tv in mine.
I really appreciate Tonia's efforts to make the guests feel confortable, it's just that I think it's fear to be objective to the tripadvisor' s members. That's why I like and use tripadvisor everytime I travel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank brpadali
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 13, 2011

We had a very nice stay with b&b Nel Muro. The room we stayed in is very (very) spacious. The bathroom en bedroom are both very clean, also because they are brand new. Anyone who travels and sleeps in b&b's knows that it can be very creepy to touch a bathroomfloor or wall. Not in this place!
One piece of advise: approach the b&b from the piazza duomo, not from 'down' in the sassi area. Many stairs await you... that is if you can find it from down there.
A price for her b&b hangs on the livingroom-wall of the B&B owner: it is wel deserved!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple