Sextantio Le Grotte della Civita
$180
$175
Savings alert! 30% below average rates

The price you found is 30% lower than this hotel's average rate of $251/night.

Hotel Sassi(Matera)
Free cancellation until 05/30
Book now, pay at stay
$126
Free cancellation until 05/27
$139
$135
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of $156/night.

$458
$338
$124
$120
Savings alert! 17% below average rates

The price you found is 17% lower than this hotel's average rate of $145/night.

$144
$341
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
Savings alert! 21% below average rates

The price you found is 21% lower than this hotel's average rate of $429/night.

Free cancellation until 06/02
$316
$306
Orbitz.com
1,404 results
All reviewsunderfloor heatingunique experiencewooden dooronce in a lifetimecave churchelectric lightingcow bellsunique hotelnational parkour honeymoonfilm setbreakfast roombucket listan upgradebreakfast was amazingstone floorsspecial hotel
Reviewed May 17, 2014

Our recent stay in the suite cave 4 was unique and unforgettable. The cave was huge, warm and comfortable. The low lighting and candles set the mood for a very relaxing and romantic stay. The heated floor around the bed was a nice surprise and the free standing oval bath tub was a fantastic way to unwind and relax at the end of the day. The breakfast selection of fresh local produce was the best we have experienced in Italy and the fact that you are sitting in an ancient cave church to eat it just adds that special touch. It is also a nice place to have a glass of wine and fresh olives in the afternoon before going out for dinner. All of the staff at Sextantio are what made our stay complete, they are all very friendly, helpful and professional, nothing was too much trouble. I had been looking forward to our stay at Sextantio with much anticipation and it not only lived up to my expectation but far exceeded it. We thank you all for the most wonderful experience, it was unforgettable. If you are visiting Matera this is the only place to stay!

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Karen C
Reviewed May 16, 2014

My husband, 16 year old son and myself stayed in Cave No 4 for 3 nights in April 2014-it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life and can't wait to stay there again-but for longer next time! The staff were so warm and welcoming-nothing was too much trouble! The cave itself was warm and beautifully scented- I loved the simple linen on the table and soft sheets on the bed. We had the best night's sleep in ages- even with jet lag from a long flight from Australia!
The breakfast buffet had to be seen to be believed-such delicious cakes, frittatas, fruits, cheeses,juices, coffee to order...I still dream about it! I absolutely loved Sextantio. Matera too was a revelation-fascinating-I will spend much longer there next time. We dined at a restauant called Baccante, which we also thought was wonderful...lovely steak and cheesecake and service! Can you tell I'm missing Matera?!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank DebMatera
Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

Truly amazing hotel I ever stayed. A unique experienced to stay in the ancient cave nack in 18th century. The perfect view right in front of the room, like heaven on earth. The best services from every single staffs. I'm surely return again. Love it all can never ask for more.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank seasons-travel
Reviewed April 26, 2014

What an experience. Most unique place I have ever stayed in, in one of the most interesting towns I have ever visited. I absolutely loved it and was so glad we went. We stayed in Cave 8 and I would go back there in a heartbeat if we ever found ourselves in Matera again.

Since nearly everyone gives the highest remarks for this hotel, I just thought I would note why someone may not like it. And most of the reasons are related to the fact that you are staying in a cave, so you have to expect that some modern comforts may not be there.

-- relatively dark because the only natural light is from a small window up front
-- not a lot of privacy with the bathroom, the tub is wide open as is the toilet.
--Things feel ever so slightly damp; my allergies could sense it a slight bit.
-- the stone floors are a bit uneven and can get very slippery. I would think if people have difficulty walking it may not be suitable, but the whole town of Matera would be difficult.

Room Tip: Cave 8 was amazing and huge!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank LisaHBonn_Germany
Reviewed April 17, 2014

There are places on this planet that remain rocky,defiant and hang in a universe that time has almost forgotten. Matera is a place where its difficult to discern where rock ends and town begins. Stone fuses with stone to form a glacier-grey light that shimmers when the sun shines.
While visiting one of the oldest towns in the world, my travel agent sent me an offer to stay at Sextantio ,which we hummed and hawed about, but nevertheless decided to check it out. One look at this hotel of simplicity,authentically restored and incorporating a surreal beauty,a state of grace, a remarkable state of suspension between the past and the present.
The interior is rock,solid rock as ancient as it gets. Its theatrical,where you feel sometimes an actor on a film set,with solid wooden furniture of the region,your vision constantly updated by the magic light pouring in through the windows. The rooms are real caves each with mod- cons. Candles add the alchemy of illumination and an exotic excitement.
Breakfast is served in an old church with the staples coming from the town itself. The honey and jam as well as the butter are addictive.Matera offers plenty of dining opportunities.
By the way,if you are travelling out of a suitcase as we were,its no big deal not having anywhere to put your stuff. Great place to act out your monkish role.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple