“Nice business hotel with good breakfast, but not near center at all”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Primus Valencia

Primus Valencia
Ranked #41 of 100 Hotels in Valencia
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Nice business hotel with good breakfast, but not near center at all”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2011

This is a standard business hotel. We were in Valencia so that my husband could give a talk at his university's study abroad program and so that we could get to know Valencia (so leisure for me and my son but business for my husband). The hotel is right near (walking distance) to the Ciutat de las Artes i Sciencias which is nice if you want to go to a show at the Reina Sofia or see the Aquarium which we did go to. However a taxi to the historic center is about 10€ (at the time of this review that is roughly $14). And since this hotel is only sort of recently a Meliã, we had some confusion over which hotel we wished to go to (and were taken to the "old" Hotel Meliã Valencia Palace). We even had friends in Valencia who were confused, so be certain to specify that this hotel is on Calle Menorca across from Acqua (do not give the Corte Ingles as a landmark since the Palace is also near a Corte Ingles).

Our room was nice with comfortable beds, working blinds (this seems to rile people up? but ours were fine) and a very nice bathroom. We had some difficulty with the heat and found it was blowing at 32° (about 90°F) and had to have engineering in. Clayton nicely came and fixed it for us (and stunned my husband with his bilingualism since my husband rarely meets anyone who can flip between Spanish and English as easily as Clayton did).

Breakfast was included in the room and was sumptuous: both hot and cold options. meats, cheeses, fruit, breads of all kinds, yogurt, fresh juice, eggs, and coffee (do it yourself). Very hearty if you wanted it to be.

We also availed ourselves of the Spa. There seems to be confusion as to the pricing and since the women in the Spa do not seem to speak English, the run down is something like this. They run a "happy hour" which is basically lunch hour specials from Monday to Thursday 12-4pm where there is a discounted price for the services like massages, facials, manicures etc. There is further a small discount for the hotel guests to use the Spa pools (which is 18€/$25 for guests/ 20€/$28€ for non-guests). The Spa is for 16 and up and includes a series of hot pools, showers, massaging water beds, jacuzzis, reflexology rocks, sauna, steam room, etc. my husband and i loved it! and i also got a massage which was wonderful as well!

I don't think we'd ever have stayed here had his program not been the ones hosting us and putting us up and had there not been a huge conference in town so that all the other rooms in the more centrally located hotels were booked. However we had a nice stay, and for business it seemed to be quite popular.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Turkish first
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2010

This hotel was very good value for money. It was spotless, brand new, beautiful, and comfortable. The breakfast (I think we paid an additional $4 CAD per night when we booked the room, so $2 per person!) was buffet-style in a bright, modern, spacious dining room, and had a plentiful selection of good quality hot and cold items (not your typical free buffet). I would definitely recommend paying for this upgrade - it's a great way to start your day. The rooms were clean and bright and spacious, and the beds were pretty good (I find most European beds too hard). Bathroom was spacious and the shower was hot and with good pressure.

The location was okay. It was very close to the City of Arts & Sciences, which was very handy. We are big walkers, so it was okay in terms of proximity to the beach (a 25-minute walk) and the subway (a 10-minute walk), but not ideal (especially on 40C days!). There were also very few restaurants in the area, which was a bit annoying. The beach-front restaurants we tried were both excellent, and the beach is fantastic - worth the walk.

All in all, I give this 4 stars because the hotel itself is beautiful and the price was excellent ($110 CAD per night including breakfast for 2 people). If I were to go to Valencia again, I'd probably stay in the old town or right on the beach instead.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Brussels
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2010

Just came back from 3 nights stay with the family and was not overly impressed. On the negative side; the airco didnt work in the room, the electric blinds didnt work, the bar lacks soul, atmosphere and they have no idea how to make a Mojito. The restaurant is gastronomic, with very little "comfort" food. Given that there is not much alternative in the immediate area, this was a pain. They tried to double charge me at check-in and when I went to check-out they tried to double charge me again. The only positive I can find is that it is right next to the City of Science (dissapointing) and the Oceanographic (Great!) As a family hotel, I would not recommend it, but as a business hotel its probably ok for a night.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank AndyBrussels
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2010

Valencia was our relaxing city for our Spain trip. Our only plan was to hang around the beach and relax, and the hotel was a great place to unwind at the end of the day. The room was clean and spacious and comfortable. The only (minor) complaint was the shower door isn't sealed well and water would leak onto the floor. However, the cleaning staff gave us extra towels to soak up the water.

We also prepaid for our breakfast with the hotel rate, and it was a good choice. The breakfast buffet had a large selection of beverages, breads, hot food, and fruit. It was definitely worth it, but it seems that they're a little understaffed. The OJ and some food items would run out and there will be a wait before they bring out more.

In terms of value, I only gave this hotel 3 stars because nothing is included. Internet and parking are both extra. I also knocked off stars for service because one evening we asked the front desk staff at 8:30pm for dinner recommendations and public transportation directions in old town. We were directed to take a bus close to the hotel, and also they told us where to catch the bus back. However, after dinner around 10:30pm, we were waiting for awhile at the bus stop before finding out that the last bus leaves at 10pm. I feel that if we asked the front desk for directions at 8:30pm, they should probably advise us that the bus doesn't run that late. It was pretty difficult to be back by 10pm. We were able to catch a cab back to the hotel, but if we'd known the bus ends so early, we would have just driven instead.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2010

I cannot understand the rave reviews on this hotel at all! I always trust tripadvisor and my fellow travellers when booking hotels/restaurants, however this time 'round I was very dissapointed.

The hotel was easy enough to get to and upon entering the lobby our 1st impressions were good. The reception staff were efficient perhaps more than welcoming as such. As part of the package we booked we were supposed to have a "welcome drink" however nothing of the kind was offered. I didn't want to start off by moaning so didn't say anything.

We booked a Melia supreme room. Entering the room I quickly discovered that there was absolutley nothing supreme about the room. My husband noticed that on our key card it said "standard" room. We were both tired from travelling but felt that we needed to address the issue as we paid about 70 euros per night extra for the so-called "supreme" room. When we got to reception we pointed this out and were told that all the supreme rooms were taken and that there isn't a difference between them at all. I couldn't quite understand this as why bother advertising it as two different types of room and charge more for the one? I said to the receptionist that as far as i was aware it said that the superior room was bigger in size and there was added amenities like a robe and slippers. He told us that he'll send housekeeping up with some slippers and robes but that there really is no difference in size. We went back up to the room where i googled the hotel website on my phone. It clearly stated that the standard room is between 17 and 22m2 and the supreme is 25m2. Now, I'm not that bothered with the size of the room at all, however the fact that we paid a lot of money (we were there for 4 nights) extra for something that according to the reception didn't exist- THAT did bother me. Anyways.. after about 2 hours reception rang and offered to change our room the following day. Housekeeping did bring our slippers and robes later on in the evening.

The following day we were moved to a room on the 1st floor. It had a small balcony which was nice but upon entering i nearly choked, it STANK of cigarette smoke! Also- there was no slippers and robes to be found. On the robes and slippers front- again, normally i couldn't care less however the housekeeping at this hotel is pretty much non-existent. No idea why but the floor of our bathroom was not cleaned on any of the days we were there. So, once we've had a shower, brushed our hair etc. i had to clean the floor with some tissues. UNACCEPTABLE for a 4 star hotel. The pillows on the bed were cheap and nasty, hugely uncomfortable. I rang housekeeping to ask for a additional pillow. (as you only get a stingy one each) and after waiting for 2 hours had to call again. We were informed that we have to wait as there was only one person in housekeeping for the evening!! ONE person in a hotel with 223 rooms. (i'd ask for a raise if i was him/her) Eventually the poor soul brought up a lump that was supposed to resemble a pillow. It did make me laugh to be fair. It was as long as the bed and really thin. No idea what the hell i was supposed to do with it? Could only think that it was a draft excluder? The amazing blinds other reviewers mentioned, was broken in our room unfortunately.

I could go on about everything that's wrong with this hotel but to be fair- the breakfast was very good and we really liked the location. Would i stay here again? Absolutley not. If you do decide to go- take earplugs. It is very noisy. Unless you're lucky and you get given one of the elusive "supreme" rooms.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank champagnetravels
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2010

Clean, delicate and lovely hotel. Rather minimalistic style. Ideal situated if you don't wont to live in the city center. A bit expensive breakfast, but a large choice of food. We just missed boiled eggs. Polite and nice staff everywhere except from the people serving breakfast. They did not seem to like their job very much.. SPA and gym in the basement was excellent. Training studio free of charge, small but included all you need for an hour work-out. Bus to the city center, about 20 min just 2 min away from the hotel door. Lovely area around the hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Oslo_NorwayKnut
Hong Kong
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2010

This is a nice modern business hotel outside the old town but near to the museums and shopping malls. Given I was staying on holiday weekend, I could only get a junior suite which was good value at US$240 p.n. Hotel has parking at Euro 16 p.d.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple