“The WORST tasting menu I've ever had!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Helsinki, Finland
“The WORST tasting menu I've ever had!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

We chose to visit here based on the reviews here in TA. BIG mistake. From the 8(!) course tasting menu (we had the biggest option) only ONE was actually good - the dessert!!

First we had an "appetizer"; one little, dry potato block and a dry fish ball (?). Then a cold fish soup of which even my friend who likes fish couldn't eat wholly. After that I asked if I could have the rest of the menu without fish courses and meat instead. They said it's OK and can be done. Next course even looked horrible, not to mention tasted - blocks of egg, mashed potatoes and "something". It looked like vomit, to tell you the truth. Also no taste whatsoever. Also just plain weird combination..Just terrible. At this point we were almost desperate to guess that we wouldn't get nothing better than this.

Next course was a fish course - only to my friend! I waited for a while but obviously they had forgotten my dish. I asked from the waiter/chef where my course was (noting that I'd said that I don't want fish but meat instead). He looked baffled a while and then hurried back to the kitchen - and started to cook my dish!! Like, seriously?! I looked through the glass doors into the kitchen (there's a direct view from the tables to the kitchen if you sit at the right table) and he gave me a thumb up while cooking my dish.. Classy. I didn't know should I laugh or cry, or something else.. What arrived about 10 mins(!) later was a single block of pork, with tasteless sauce. OK, nothing wrong with the pork but it just didn't taste of anything. Just pork.

Next course was more pork, just cooked a bit different way. Outcome was still the same, no taste, just plain pork. Not even pepper was used!
The tasting menu cost only 26 euros/pp, so it's cheap but according to this perform it isn't worth even that!

And the service...well, if you can call it service. Besides us there were only 2-3 other tables so they weren't in any hurry. The girl who tried to be a waitress had even set the knives and forks to the table the wrong way around?!! Afterwards she just threw the knives and forks to the table instead of putting them there. She forgot to bring us the water we ordered. She never asked how the food was, only rapidly collected our plates. Even if she'd been at work for the first day there are certain manners you should just know.

Finally it was the desserts' time. The two little, narrow strips of cheese you can hardly call a "pre-dessert" but at least you can't ruin them, can you..?! The real dessert was a good mud cake with its interior a running chocolate sauce, like it should be.

But overall I do not know from where this place have got all the amazing reviews but I have to say that after traveling in 34 countries at the moment, I've encountered as bad food as this only in countries like Romania or Poland. Maybe they had a bad day but then it was the worst kind! I can honestly say that this was the worst tasting menu I've ever had and I'd advise you to consider twice before going here. Especially if the quality of the food varies this much.
You've been warned.

• Visited June 2014
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank BizarreGlobeHopper

Durham, North Carolina
“Highly recommend this restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2014

Very enjoyable dinner, the food was very fresh, with creative flavor combinations and presented beautifully. Our server was delightful, and very helpful explaining the menu in English for us. We were so glad we found this place.

• Visited May 2014
“We will come back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

In fact, we already did. My wife and I had dinner in R38 twice in 3 nights in Valencia.
The first night we shared their special vegetable tapas. One of the best vegetable dish we have ever had.
The second night we had the "menu degustacion", seven courses. Everything very creative and tasting excellent.
The service was attentive, helpful and discreet.
We will be back again.