“I'd have to agree with other members, it's not a five star hotel.”

Hospes Palau de la Mar Hotel
Ranked #6 of 100 Hotels in Valencia
Kobe, Japan
“I'd have to agree with other members, it's not a five star hotel.”
Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

I checked into the Palau de la Mar hoping that it was going to be a great stay. It was average at best. The location though was fantastic as it is situated adjacent to Valencia's main shopping area.
The dreamer room that I got on the 1st floor was dark and über minamalist in decor. There was a welcome gift of brownies in the room which was a nice touch however they were stale.
I didn't eat at their main restaurant but I did have breakfast. Great spread.
The best part of the hotel is converted palatial building which now houses the hotel. Some of the features like the huge wooden doors at the main entrance of the hotel are amazing.
The staff were amicable though that's as far as it goes.
Also, if the hotel had a 4 star rating I think it would justify a lot however being billed as a 5 star property, one can't help but think the rating is too ambitious.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Travel_Critic999
Palau_de_la_Mar, Director General at Hospes Palau de la Mar Hotel, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you having the time to write your comments in Tripadvisor.com.

I appreciate you enjoyed our facilities, and we will consider your opinion to improve as much as possible in all other things.

Look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Best regards,

Patricia Garcia Vizcaino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Let me start by saying I got this hotel on a deal with Voyage Prive. Paid £400.00 for 3 nights accommodation B&B. Not bad for 5 star but this is not 5 star. I saw it advertised for full price at £750.00. If I had paid this I would have been extremely upset. Rooms are described as minimalistic. I would describe as not much of it and cheap. The tap in the bath was loose. One leg on the sink just "dangled". The room was cold and we couldn't adjust the temperature. After a cold nights sleep I spoke to reception and was told the rooms were set at 19 degrees for the summer and were not adjustable by the guests. We had to request extra bedclothes for the remaining nights. Breakfast was fine if a little cramped. The restaurant cannot cope with a buffet style meal as guests and staff just get in each others way. But the staff in the restaurant did try hard. Can't comment on the spa as we didn't venture there. Location is good and you can easily walk to the old town. On the whole we got what we paid for. But then that isn't a deal is it?.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Palau_de_la_Mar, General Manager at Hospes Palau de la Mar Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am awfully sorry to read that we failed to meet your expectations during your stay in our hotel, but I assure you that your comments will help us to improve our service and quality. I am very grateful that you took time to write your feedback.

Regarding the problem with the temperature in our rooms, as soon as we found out, we started working on fixing this problem.

Please, if you ever decide to come back to Valencia, me and my colleagues are more than happy to welcome you and try to improve your opinion regarding our hotel.

Recieve my best Regards,
Islamorada, Florida, United States
Reviewed May 3, 2013

This is a nice hotel well located in the city. The big plus is that they will handle the parking in a nearby public garage. The room was very clean and well appointed. They offered me a "room upgrade plus breakfast" for 50 euros (for 2) and it was worth it. The breakfast is nice and very convenient. The hotel is a pleasant walk from the old portion of the city. The big minus was that the Internet was down for the entire stay. They had one computer in a "business center" that worked, but no WiFi. The irritation was that the night staff didn't tell the oncoming day staff. When I complained, it came as a shock to the daytime staff. They made an "adjustment", but being without WiFi is not good for business travelers. Folks, we need a better backup plan for Internet access. Our room was right on the main road, but wasn't noisy. Two small things: 1. why no tissues in the room? Where do they think travelers blow their noses? 2. I wish the shower/tub had a grab bar. It was slippery. Clean, comfortable, and well located. We would use it again...after I check the WiFi. Oh, it's not the hotel's fault, but if you are driving here make sure you have good printed driving instructions. My Garmin Nuvi couldn't find this hotel even when we were parked in front of it.

Room Tip: The rooms on the main road are not particularly noisy, but our room had a decorative light positione...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We are very happy that you had a pleasent stay with us and that you took your time to provide us detailed feedback, it is very valuable for us and our further improvement.

Regarding the Wi-Fi, my sincere apology. We are aware of how essential Internet is for our Business guests and we will give our best in order to prevent this kind of situation.

Once again thank you very much for your feedback and if you decide to come back to Valencia, we would be more than happy to welcome you!

Warm Regards,
Bristol
Reviewed May 1, 2013

This Hotel manages to combine cool design with a warm ambiance. Its location is ideal for a short stroll to an area with designer shops and beautiful old architecture (don't miss the El Patriarca Corpus Christi church). Rooms are extremely comfortable; you even get a 'pillow menu' for the perfect night's sleep.

We were only in Valencia for 3 nights but chose to eat in their 'Senzone' restaurant twice; mainly because night 1 was so good. The chef is superb, the food is fantastic, and the staff attentive and friendly. It is also true to say that it represents excellent value for money; nibbles, 2 mains, desserts and a beautiful bottle of wine (Emilio Moro Tempranillo) came in under €100!

The reception people were perfect; great attention to detail and willing to help with any questions/requests.

If you like 5 star treatment without all of the stuffiness usually associated with such places, Hospes is for you.

Room Tip: The aspect from the rear of the Hotel is not inspiring, but we suspect the price differential makes...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Palau_de_la_Mar, Director General at Hospes Palau de la Mar Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for your nice comments regarding our hotel. I am so happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay in Valencia, our aim is always to make our customers feel at home.

Please, do not hesitate to contact me if you come back to Valencia in the future, it would be a pleasure for all our team to welcome you again in Hospes Palau de la Mar.

Warm regards,
Patricia García Vizcaíno.
Toulon, France
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Great location for this Design hotel to experience Valencia by walking around this great city and going everywhere with the city bike rent package (ValenBisi).
Efficient and pleasant front office staff and great food and service.
Anytime when in Valencia next..............

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion.

Valencia is a flat city very appropiate to be visited by bicycle. As we are located in the city center, and very close to the Turia's Garden, everywhere in the city can be reached riding.

Thanks for your kind words about the staff and the service.

We remain at your disposal in case you decide to come back to the city.

Best Regards,

Patricia Garcia
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Well, this is a difficult one..

If you compare this with a five star hotel in Paris, or London, or any other ‘major’ capital, you will be dissapointed. Very.
But is that the fault of the hotel, of from the people who are responsible for the rating-system?
Personally, I think this is a four star hotel. Not more. I’ll explain:
When I arrived, there was no-one outside to help me carry my luggage when I got out of my taxi… Thank god I travel light :-)
Getting at the reception, there was another guest checking in. The receptionist didn’t even give me a glance, or a short nod to acknowledge my arrival. So it didn’t make me feel very welcome… as it should in a 5 star hotel. The dutch guy that helped with my suitcases to get to my room was on the contrary very friendly.

Restaurant-interior: didn’t like it. Way to ‘cold’. I understand minimalism is hot, but it should not feel like a cold basement. No good points for the designer that decorated the restaurant. With some easy minor changes, this could be a very nice place, but now, it lacks atmoshpere.
Restaurant-food: super!! really, food is great!
Restaurant-service: well, I had dinner there three nights, and the service is extremely basic. Not what one would expect in a five star hotel. Main reason: their English is bad. Or non-excisting… (when I got my main course of the surprise-tapas menu, the only explanation I got was: “ PIG” . Actually , it made me laugh so hard, but on the other hand… one should at least expect a basic knowledge of English…)
Bar-interior: idem as restaurant. I preffered to sit in the area at the other side, (behind reception area), with the couches. That, at least, gave a bit of a warm home-like atmospere.
Bar-service: okay, but basic.
Breakfast: excellent choice, but service very basic…. Also, again, the poor knowledge of English. And a bit ‘understaffed’ (one girl…I felt sorry for here, cause she had to work very hard). Again, if you are used to a five star service, be ready to tune down your desires.
Room-interior: very basic. Not worth five star. Bathroom: showers and toilet very nice in white marble, but bathroom itself has very simple white-painted walls. Not suitable for a bathroom in a hotel, one could see a lot of stains, especially around the bath, where people with their wet hands touch the walls to get out. Again, many mistakes from the interior designer. Also, again, to minimalistic, with only ‘hard’ materials, what makes that if people are talking in the hallway, one can understand every word….
Wellness pool-jacuzzi: either a small pool or an extremely large jacuzzi, but that was okay for me. Only, again, the interior design was poor. Very poor. I really felt that I was in a dark very bad lighted basement. In a wellness are, one should feel ‘well’. One can say ofcourse: well it is a basement, so difficult to loose the feeling. But no. I’ve been in the wellness area of the Mandarin in Paris for example, or the Royal Monceau in Paris. Also in the basement. But there, one feels like if you are in paradise! So sorry for the interior designer, but you didn’t make enough effort.

To me, a five star hotel is beautiful design, combined with an excellent service. I wanna be inspired by nice decorations, by astonishing furniture, by gorgeous lighting… I wanna go home with dozens of pics of “ if I should redecorate my house, I want this and that…”.

I think five stars are reserved for only a few hotels, sometimes they are givven way to easy.
Ofcourse, Valencia might have other standards then London for example, but the “star-rating-people” should make sure that a five star, or a four star, of a three star,… has the same “feel” wherever you are on the globe!

will I come here again? Well, Valencia does not have a lot of hotels in the upper-market, so there is not much choice.
If you are a tourist, wanting to explore the City, and looking for a nice place to sleep: this hotel is a very good pick!
But if a hotel is part of your destination, and part of your experience, keep in mind that this is not a five star, but a four star.
Nothing wrong with that ofcourse! But just letting you know :-)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,
First at all, thank you for your opinion about our hotel. It will be valuable to improve our services.
By other side, we wish to thank you especially for your comments regarding our excellent location, or the quality of thefood in our Restaurant. We appreciate it very much, and we’ll try to improve the other things you say.
For example, I can tell you that considering your comments we have already improved our Spa decoration to make more comfortable to our customers when they use it.
Yours sincerely.

Patricia Garcia Vizcaino
Celbridge, Ireland
Reviewed April 14, 2013

This is a very nice hotel, the reception Staff are excellent, always very helpful and pleasant. The breakfast was plentiful and delicious, it is however a bit mean charging customers 4 euro extra if an egg is wanted. Our room while very quiet and clean, was I felt a bit small for 2 people, the bathroom was nice. I didn't try the spa but the pool is more like a small jacuzzi.

Room Tip: Some rooms seem a lot smaller than others, ask to see your room first. The hotel is on a quiet stree...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I am very happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you very much for your nice comments regarding our facilities and breakfast.

However, I am very sorry to read we haven´t meet your expectations, but we are very gratefull that you took your time to give us feedback that can help us improve our standards.

Warm Regards,