“A Design hotel in Valencia”

Hospes Palau de la Mar Hotel
Ranked #6 of 101 Hotels in Valencia
Toulon, France
“A Design hotel in Valencia”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Great location for this Design hotel to experience Valencia by walking around this great city and going everywhere with the city bike rent package (ValenBisi).
Efficient and pleasant front office staff and great food and service.
Anytime when in Valencia next..............

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Palau_de_la_Mar, Director General at Hospes Palau de la Mar Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion.

Valencia is a flat city very appropiate to be visited by bicycle. As we are located in the city center, and very close to the Turia's Garden, everywhere in the city can be reached riding.

Thanks for your kind words about the staff and the service.

We remain at your disposal in case you decide to come back to the city.

Patricia Garcia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Well, this is a difficult one..

If you compare this with a five star hotel in Paris, or London, or any other ‘major’ capital, you will be dissapointed. Very.
But is that the fault of the hotel, of from the people who are responsible for the rating-system?
Personally, I think this is a four star hotel. Not more. I’ll explain:
When I arrived, there was no-one outside to help me carry my luggage when I got out of my taxi… Thank god I travel light :-)
Getting at the reception, there was another guest checking in. The receptionist didn’t even give me a glance, or a short nod to acknowledge my arrival. So it didn’t make me feel very welcome… as it should in a 5 star hotel. The dutch guy that helped with my suitcases to get to my room was on the contrary very friendly.

Restaurant-interior: didn’t like it. Way to ‘cold’. I understand minimalism is hot, but it should not feel like a cold basement. No good points for the designer that decorated the restaurant. With some easy minor changes, this could be a very nice place, but now, it lacks atmoshpere.
Restaurant-food: super!! really, food is great!
Restaurant-service: well, I had dinner there three nights, and the service is extremely basic. Not what one would expect in a five star hotel. Main reason: their English is bad. Or non-excisting… (when I got my main course of the surprise-tapas menu, the only explanation I got was: “ PIG” . Actually , it made me laugh so hard, but on the other hand… one should at least expect a basic knowledge of English…)
Bar-interior: idem as restaurant. I preffered to sit in the area at the other side, (behind reception area), with the couches. That, at least, gave a bit of a warm home-like atmospere.
Bar-service: okay, but basic.
Breakfast: excellent choice, but service very basic…. Also, again, the poor knowledge of English. And a bit ‘understaffed’ (one girl…I felt sorry for here, cause she had to work very hard). Again, if you are used to a five star service, be ready to tune down your desires.
Room-interior: very basic. Not worth five star. Bathroom: showers and toilet very nice in white marble, but bathroom itself has very simple white-painted walls. Not suitable for a bathroom in a hotel, one could see a lot of stains, especially around the bath, where people with their wet hands touch the walls to get out. Again, many mistakes from the interior designer. Also, again, to minimalistic, with only ‘hard’ materials, what makes that if people are talking in the hallway, one can understand every word….
Wellness pool-jacuzzi: either a small pool or an extremely large jacuzzi, but that was okay for me. Only, again, the interior design was poor. Very poor. I really felt that I was in a dark very bad lighted basement. In a wellness are, one should feel ‘well’. One can say ofcourse: well it is a basement, so difficult to loose the feeling. But no. I’ve been in the wellness area of the Mandarin in Paris for example, or the Royal Monceau in Paris. Also in the basement. But there, one feels like if you are in paradise! So sorry for the interior designer, but you didn’t make enough effort.

To me, a five star hotel is beautiful design, combined with an excellent service. I wanna be inspired by nice decorations, by astonishing furniture, by gorgeous lighting… I wanna go home with dozens of pics of “ if I should redecorate my house, I want this and that…”.

I think five stars are reserved for only a few hotels, sometimes they are givven way to easy.
Ofcourse, Valencia might have other standards then London for example, but the “star-rating-people” should make sure that a five star, or a four star, of a three star,… has the same “feel” wherever you are on the globe!

will I come here again? Well, Valencia does not have a lot of hotels in the upper-market, so there is not much choice.
If you are a tourist, wanting to explore the City, and looking for a nice place to sleep: this hotel is a very good pick!
But if a hotel is part of your destination, and part of your experience, keep in mind that this is not a five star, but a four star.
Nothing wrong with that ofcourse! But just letting you know :-)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Palau_de_la_Mar, Director General at Hospes Palau de la Mar Hotel, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Dear Guest,
First at all, thank you for your opinion about our hotel. It will be valuable to improve our services.
By other side, we wish to thank you especially for your comments regarding our excellent location, or the quality of thefood in our Restaurant. We appreciate it very much, and we’ll try to improve the other things you say.
For example, I can tell you that considering your comments we have already improved our Spa decoration to make more comfortable to our customers when they use it.
Yours sincerely.

Patricia Garcia Vizcaino
Celbridge, Ireland
Reviewed April 14, 2013

This is a very nice hotel, the reception Staff are excellent, always very helpful and pleasant. The breakfast was plentiful and delicious, it is however a bit mean charging customers 4 euro extra if an egg is wanted. Our room while very quiet and clean, was I felt a bit small for 2 people, the bathroom was nice. I didn't try the spa but the pool is more like a small jacuzzi.

Room Tip: Some rooms seem a lot smaller than others, ask to see your room first. The hotel is on a quiet stree...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Palau_de_la_Mar, General Manager at Hospes Palau de la Mar Hotel, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am very happy that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Thank you very much for your nice comments regarding our facilities and breakfast.

However, I am very sorry to read we haven´t meet your expectations, but we are very gratefull that you took your time to give us feedback that can help us improve our standards.

Warm Regards,
United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

Located near the old town, this is a good place to stay and explore the delights of Valencia.
Service was impeccable and our bedroom was cool and quiet, if a little small for a superior room.
Not cheap, but good value for its location.

• Stayed April 2013
Palau_de_la_Mar, Director General at Hospes Palau de la Mar Hotel, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for the time you took to share your opinion.

We are happy to know you had a nice stay in the hotel.

We do appreciate with your statement that "this is a good place to stay and explore the delights of Valencia. "

Your comments are really appreciated.

We hope to have the oportunity to welcome you in a future visit to the city.

Patricia Garcia
Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

Our room had no window was too dark and without ventilation. i forgot a souvenir to the hotel bar,where there was no one else, and no one reported on it. I am still waiting for at least one email .location was very good

• Stayed March 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for writing your feedback.

We have a record of all things that our guests have forgotten, please get in touch with us, so we can work on this.

I am sure we can resolve this problem.

Calpe, Spain
Reviewed April 9, 2013

After eventually finding the hotel,which can be a little tricky with the one way system, we were warmly greeted by the front of house staff whilst being offered a drink.
We were taken to the room and dealt with very effectively and all the amenties were explained.
The room was spacious and very clean and the bathroom very different in its layout and a lovely big bath.
The only criticism I would have is that some of the decor and fittings in the Spa and the room are in need of a little attention in order to keep it to a 5 star standard.
The lounges and chill out areas are very chic and inviting.
The extra touches were exceptional and during the afternoon were brought chocolates and strawberries and at breakfast was presented with champagne and a birthday cake, which was a lovely surprise.
The hotel is well placed to explore Valencia and 2 minutes away the Turia gardens were hosting a Wine and Food Festival which was an added bonus.
I wouldn't hesistate to stay in this hotel on future visits to Valencia.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests,

It is a great pleasure for me to read your lovely comments, thank you very much!

Regarding your criticism we are allready working on this problem, thanks to your feedback.
We are working hard every day in order to provide outstanding service and so our guests can feel special and satisfied especially if they have decided to celebrate with us their meaningful day.

Once again, we are very happy that we made your stay pleasent and we are looking forward to welcome you again,

Paris, France
Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

Spent 5 nights in what they said was their best room (a 51sqm junior suite). Expected the best after an other stay in Hospes hotel in Grenada. Pretending to be a 5-star, but not meeting the standards, so expect a disappointment.
Reception: only two positions, need to queue to check in. Then find your room by yourself.
Concierge: no concierge service, reception can help (if not too busy, only two positions)
Room: large suite, long rectangle, only 2 small windows at one extremity, poor sound proof (you can clearly hear the street). No coffee/tea making facility. In the dressing, hangers are fixed: they must be afraid clients could steel them, just like in cheap hotels. No clock/alarm. A broken CD player (who bring their own CDs today? Have they heard about mp3 iPad/iPod/iPhone). Two comfortable large sofas (good point). A small and old Flatscreen TV, no HD. Overall deco all dark brown and white, no color at all.
Breakfast: we did not go: too crowded, no table available would have had to wait 10min or sit in a room far from the buffet.
5-star?

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Palau_de_la_Mar, Director General at Hospes Palau de la Mar Hotel, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Dear Sir,

I am sorry to read that we failed to meet your expectations during your stay at our hotel, but I assure you that your comments will help us to improve our standards of service and quality.

I beg you that if you come back to Valencia in the future, please, contact me directly and I will manage personally your reservation.

Please, accept my sincere apologizes and I remain at your disposal for anything you may require.

Receive my best regards,