“Modern look, friendly service, but walls made of paper”

Silken Puerta Valencia
Ranked #39 of 98 Hotels in Valencia
Reviewed July 19, 2011

Both from the outside and the inside (i.e. the rooms) have a fresh, modern look. Staff are very friendly and helpful, the beds are comfortable and the rooms are clean (if a little on the small side).
The hotel is in a residencial area, halfway between the city centre and the beach, which I guess is great if you want to go to both. Work picked the hotel for me, otherwise I would not have chosen it, for the location.
The one thing that really bothered me were the paper-thin walls. When you are listening to The Carpenters at very low volume and your neighbour still complains about the noise, you know there is something seriously wrong.

Room Tip: Ask for end of the hall so you only have 1 neighbour
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,548)

Reviewed July 18, 2011

3 generations met up last weekend and thoroughly recommend the hotel. Reception staff were excellent, our room was very good, with a very good bathroom. Shower worked a treat.
The secure garage was fantastic so we left our cars there and walked. Just under 10 minutes to the metro which is very efficient and roughly the same to the river bed and not far to the lovely City of Arts etc. Must comment on the excellent breakfast as possibly one of the best hotel breakfasts ever. They had an amazing choice and everything was very fresh. The staff in there were very efficient and extremely helpful. We will be back as we are living an hour half north of Valencia. I did not use the Internet but our grandson approved of it using his iPad.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 24, 2011

Ariving at the hotel was easy and parking was quickly found. There is a nice large parking garage with a bit cramped spaces but ok. We where to early to check-in and could leave our bags at the reception. We where helped in a very frendly manner.

After comming back there was a different receptionist but still ok and we where helped very nicely again. The room was very hot and the airco was barely managing.

We had a terras room but we did not realy make use of the terras because we did not have the time for this. We were here only 1 night. The room is spacious and clean.

The bath room utilizes a senting system. I do not like perfumed air because it a sore throught form that so I was not happy that it could not be switched of. Keeping the bathroom door closed helped in keeping it out of the room.

The room does have everything you need. Minus however is the free internet that is not free. You have acces but if you want for example to get your mail you need to pay. You can use webmail of course but in my opion internet has to be free of charge in hotels!

The breakfast was a bit less than I expected. It was ok but the choice is limited and the personel was more occupied with themselfs, phones etc than with the guests. The room is a but small, full and noisy.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2011

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights by end of May. Hotel was absolutely perfect, distance to modern part 10 minutes, walk and to old town 15 minutes. We got room which was large spacious and luxury with every bits included. Breakfast was perfect, big choice to choose from from English, continental or spanish traditional food. I found staff very friendly especially night Porter Misho who was very friendly and helpful. Would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travelservice1
Reviewed May 3, 2011

My partner and I spent three nights in this hotel at the end of April. We did not know Valencia at all before our visit but wanted to stay in a centrally located hotel, near restaurants and cafes and in a non-touristy area of the city. We chose this hotel as we prefer modern, contemporary decor and newer hotels over more traditional options. We were very pleased with our choice overall. The staff are polite and professional (although rather formal but personally I prefer this to informality), the rooms were large, modern, nicely decorated and with clean, contemporary bathrooms and most of all the location is wonderful. It is not a luxury hotel but rather a clean, modern and pleasant mid-range option.

I am honestly very surprised to read that others disliked the location. As a large Spanish city, Valencia is very busy and perhaps those unfamiliar with what it feels like to be in a central area of a busy Southern European city would find this area slightly daunting... But I can honestly say that we loved the area and wouldn't even consider staying in another part of the city when we return to Valencia. The "amistat" metro station is very near by and the neighbourhood is full of very nice shops, supermarkets, bakeries, bars, cafes and really excellent restaurants. You can literally walk across the street from the hotel and continue walking two blocks and you will find 15-20 bars, restaurants and cafes. Most of them are quite upmarket but very good value. We ate almost all of our meals within 5 minutes walk of the hotel and had very, very good traditional (and contemporary) Spanish food and tapas as well as excellent Japanese food. The area the hotel is located in is a very middle class residential area full of services and amenities. It actually reminded me of (the highly desirable) area of Palermo in the city of Buenos Aires, where I used to live. It is absolutely not a touristy area and if you prefer to visit a Spanish city and be among other foreigners then I can understand that you may not feel comfortable in this area. Otherwise it really is perfectly located for those looking for a city break in a pleasant area of the city with good food. We returned from restaurants after midnight every night we were there and did not feel unsafe at all on any occasion. We were also able to walk to the Turia river bed and the City of Arts and Science in around 10 minutes from the hotel and from the "amistat" station the beach, city centre and airport are all easily and quickly accessible.

Now for the downsides. Really there is only one. The soundproofing. As others have mentioned the rooms are extremely badly soundproofed. We were woken up on several occasions by the baby crying in another room. The sound completely penetrated the room and it felt like the baby was in our room. We were facing away from the street so did not have street noise nor did we really hear noise from the corridor. But from other rooms we certainly did. I should mention that we normally sleep with ear plugs but actually forgot to bring them with us on this occasion, so this may have been a factor in our difficulty sleeping. Nonetheless the soundproofing really is terrible in the rooms and it shouldn't be essential to have to sleep with earplugs to get a good night's sleep in a hotel. On the saturday evening when leaving for dinner (9pm) we noticed that there was thumping music filling the reception area, coming from one of the conference rooms, and that there were people from a (seemingly British) wedding party milling around the reception area (all intoxicated and being rather loud and unsophisticated which somewhat brought down the tone of the hotel). We made sure to return to the hotel quite late (2am), hoping that the party would have finished by this point. Unfortunately it hadn't. When we went up to our room (1st floor unfortunately) the music was so loud that several items in the room were vibrating. Again, terrible soundproofing. I called the reception to ask at what time they plan to stop playing music, expressing our concern that the music was so loud in our room that we couldn't sleep. He, rather offhandedly, informed me that he didn't know (surely there must be some sort of contract/arrangement in place on the rental of the space?!) but that the volume of the music had already been substantially decreased as other guests had already complained and reception was aware of the problem. An altogether unsatisfactory and unprofessional attitude. The music did stop an hour or so later but I found that the attitude displayed by the reception towards guests (and the establishment is first and foremost a hotel and should place the sleep quality of its guests first in my opinion) was disappointing. Overall, this wouldn't put me off returning to the hotel but it is certainly an area they could improve in with regard to service and facilities. We will request a room which is not on the first floor (those rooms should have been allocated to the wedding party, exclusively) and will bring ear plugs with us. Had it not been for these noise issues I would have considered giving the hotel 5 stars.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Christopher F
Reviewed April 23, 2011

Room: 309

Good: Ability to open a window, toiletries

Average: Breakfast - constant problems known to staff (orange juice machine blockage, coffee machines breaking down) not fixed and cramped tables, corners in bathroom showed no signs of cleaning.

Bad: Triple room was grossly overpriced and cramped (basically an extra bed squeezed into a double room), rooms were generally noisy and half faced a major street (double glazing only does so much), location not ideal for anything other than arts & science area (20 mins walk away), not much to do in the local area, toiletries not replaced daily

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank electrotek
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Overall my weekend stay was average - the hotel has some major positive points, but unfortunately also many things to improve. At the end I found the room to be rather pricey .

I chose this hotel for its central location - close to the historical city, and a 10-minute walk from the "Aragon" metro station. Booked my stay on Silken Hotels own website - booking process short and easy, Executive single room including breakfast at 101EUR/night.

Check-in was quite disappointing - the lady at the reception was polite, but very impersonal and cold. It was definitely not a warm welcome. The receptionist who checked me out was friendly and smiling, though.

I was given an Executive room on the top floor. It had a nice terrace and faced the main street. The room was quite comfortable: large closet with many coat hangers, wide desk with a chair, very comfortable King-size bed with a firm mattress, TV (no flat screen, though), individual air-conditioning. All equipment were working properly. I appreciated the soft white lights which were quite soothing. On the downside pretty poor soundproofing, so that I could hear the street as well as my neighbours!
Bathroom is large and offered many amenities. Bath and WC were spotlessly clean.

Room service was very slow to answer: I had to ring four times (!) before somebody took my call. But food was excellent: I recommend the Iberian cured ham "jamon ibérico" and the home-made dessert "natillas".

Breakfast buffet is well-presented and tasty. Great choice of local products e.g. Valencian rice dish, tortilla, almond cake, fresh fruit. Otherwise usual offering of cold cuts, cheese, yoghurts, muesli, cereals. Orange juice was freshly squeezed - a nice touch. Many newspapers were available, but in Spanish only. Staff efficient and friendly. On the downside the breakfast room felt rather cramped - I did not really like the tables being too close to each other.

One Internet computer is available in the lobby - unfortunately it is not free of charge and costs 2EUR for half an hour.

All in all I can recommend this hotel for its central location. It is acceptable for a weekend stay, however I would rate the value for money as average only.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo