“Servicable, But Nothing Great”
Review of Sweet Hotel Renasa

Sweet Hotel Renasa
Ranked #62 of 98 Hotels in Valencia
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We selected this property based solely on it's proximity - within walking distance to the apartment our son was renting during a study abroad experience. I wasn't expecting a lot for 65 Euro a night, but was still a bit disappointed. The air-conditioning did not work well AT ALL. We opened the windows before we went to bed and caught a decent breeze, but weren't able to lock the windows when we went to sleep and, since we were on a lower floor with acess to a nearby overhang, didn't feel safe leaving them open.

The unit itself was fairly roomy, with a separate lounge area, a big bathroom (although we did have to lift the toliet tank top up and down to get it to flush) and a nice sized bedroom. Everything was clean, but the decor was pretty dated.

Breakfast was okay, but nothing to write home about. It was also VERY expensive for what we got - $21US for little more than continental offerings. You don't have to go for this added option, but there didn't look to be a lot of other dining choices right nearby.

The hotel was within walking distance to the beach tram and the University of Valencia/Valencia Polytechnic University, so that was a plus.

Our trip was delayed due to mechanical issues with our plane at our departure city. Although I immediately e-mailed the hotel via booking.com, they refused to refund any part of our scheduled first night's stay - even with a note from the airline - because we didn't give 24 hours notice. I understand their policy, but since we contacted them as soon as humanly possible, I would have thought they could have given us some consideration.

Room Tip: No elevator, but would still ask for a room on one of the higher floors. That way, if the AC doesn...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Sweet Hotel Renasa

Reviewed April 19, 2013

On th downside, it was a little further away from the centre of the old town (15-20 minute walk), but it was near to a metro stop that went to the beach – which is GORGEOUS.

The actual hotel was nice for a 3-star place, with decent rooms, beds and bathrooms – and everything was really clean. Wifi was a little flakey though, and only really worked in the lobby. Overall it was fine for a small stay, but any longer than 3 or 4 nights, and I think you’d want somewhere a little more central.

full review - passportpacked.com

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here apart of a tour.
Rooms are a good size. Some of the staff are helpful. Breakfast was good.
The cleaners don't clean to well. There was urine stains on the toilet seat even tho they claimed they cleaned it. Few hairs in the bathroom shower/bath. Half hour walk to old town. Lucky cabs are cheap

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Nice hotel, clean, friendly and helpful staff, would stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 17, 2011

I have stayed in this hotel for a week in October 2011. From my point of view, it was an ok hotel. However, I asked specifically for a non-smoking room and got a room with an ash tray. Nevertheless, the cigarette smell was not noticeable.

There are no problems with the internet, you have to ask at the reception to get access and you can easily use wireless. The internet is very slow though in peak hours.

The hotel is located close to the university campus (both University and Polytechnic), so it may be an option for students arriving to Valencia and looking for a more permanent place to stay. Also, there are bars and shops (Mercadona) nearby. The metro station is a bit far, but you can walk to the tram and change to the metro then at Benimaclet.

The rooms were decent, but nothing extraordinary: just a tv, empty minibar (I never use it, so I didn't bother), two beds and thick drapes on the windows. The room itself was quite dark as the lamps gave too little light. The bathroom was okay though. Also, the rooms were clean, but I was not concerned about that a lot. There is also a very slow and small elevator.

The staff were friendly, but keep in mind that you have to pay for the breakfast (it's only a Spanish sweet breakfast) - I was not informed about it. The breakfast itself is a typical Spanish breakfast, I would not recommend it if you are used to "heavier" breakfasts.

In general, I would recommend this hotel mainly because of the price and the location close to the University. It happened that I had some business there so it was very convenient as I could just walk to work. Otherwise, you may be better off by finding a more centrally located hotel - it's really far from this one to the city centre.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank d1gital
Reviewed September 15, 2011

After reading the reviews, I didn't have very high expectations. However, I was pleasantly surprised by its location ( right at the center of the city ) and the room. The room was clean and staff were very nice. They provided us all the info we needed and even kept our luggage for an extra day. I was pretty satisfied with this hotel and would recommend it. Only negative point is that we had to pay additional 3 euros/day for the wifi.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 4, 2010

After having read some of the reviews I did not have very high expectations, but I was pleasantly surprised. The room I got (#104) was big. The bathroom looked like it had recently been upgraded (none of the showercurtain problems that were in some of the other reviews). Internet access is a bit peculiar, as you pay € 3,50 a day for a package that includes movies and internet, the latter only through the Linux terminal that is in your room. So you cannot use your own laptop. Apart from that, it works fine for checking your e-mail or surfing the web, as long as you don't try anything fancy like watch a video. My room was at the streetside, but the traffic noise didn't bother me. I guess that depends on how sensitive you are to that kind of thing.

A downside of the hotel is the location. It is not really close to anything except the universities and the football stadium. Anything else (beach, old town, Calatrava complex) is about half an hour's walk away. That didn't bother me and if it does you can make use of the excellent public transport.

Breakfast was fine, considering it was included. There was fresh bread and fresh coffee every morning and that's about all I require. Don't expect bacon & eggs or fruit salads.

As mentioned by other reviewers, the hotel has a very attractive cafetaria/restaurant. They have an excellent menu del dia for € 13, which attracted a lot of locals not staying at the hotel, which I suppose is a good sign.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo