“Fantastic traditional paella but not only!”

Restaurante Levante Valencia
Ranked #195 of 3,509 Restaurants in Valencia
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Barcelona, Spain
“Fantastic traditional paella but not only!”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

To start with: we have been to this place 2 times during 3 days trip!
Luckily we researched well where to eat real paella in Valencia and just by chance found Levante! Came out that that night in September was there first opening for dinner, because usually locals eat paella during lunch or on Sunday, not for dinner! This was surprising fact, though it was clear that this place is oriented for business clientele during lunch, so we were the first couple to experience the dinner there and of course, we were eager to eat paella, not caring much about habits of Valencians. Paella was delicious, not too fat, soft and juicy rabbit meat, perfect rice, not forgetting that the lima beans used for it were grown on their personal garden as many other components they add to the dishes! Croquetes, starter with Valencian tomatoes, desserts and wine were marvellous as well! By the way they have own wine shop at the territory of the restaurant and sell by bottle to take away representing good wine selection.
An important fact: this is family restaurant, quite new in Valencia, but another one with the same name has being existed for a long time outside of Valencia! The desserts are made by “mother-owner”, all the stuff is family friendly demonstrating good knowledge of how to serve a client.
In other words, nothing to complain, the prices seem to be even cheap when knowing for what you pay and trying the dish!
Our second visit was on Sunday, when disappointed with food in the historical center of Valencia, we decided to come back there and try their new menu for dinner (so now they work evenings of Friday and Saturday). So while Spanish families were eating traditional Sunday paella we ordered this menu for 20 euros which included 4 starters, main dish, coffee or dessert! All was excellent: special recipe guacamole, some sort of foie gras served with mandarina jam, scrambled eggs with jamon and potatoes, vegetables in tempura…And the star of our lunch: ribs served on rosemary with green paprika and potatoes! Every single ingredient was perfect, potatoes really tasted like grown in the garden without chemicals, same I can say about all the vegetables.
The ratio price/quality is really impressive in this place.
I strongly recommend dedicating some hours to the visit of this place when being in Valencia and have great local food experience! Yes you would have to go out of touristic zone but it is worth it.

• Visited September 2013
Víctor J V, Gerente at Restaurante Levante Valencia, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear Customer. remember that visit his night, and his subsequent visit to "Night's Menú" when I take the night. was a pleasure dealing with you, and we regret that your experience outside the our restaurant, the old town of Valencia, was not satisfactory. However, if your return to our restaurant, we will leave a better experience to leave Valencia, we will be more than satisfied with our work. You know that if you return to Valencia, here you have your house and we will be happy to see you again. Thank you very much.

Los Angeles, California
“Really good paella”
Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

Went to the restaurant based on T/A reviews of the best paella in the city. Was not disappointed. Ordered the Paella Valenciana which is their most popular dish. Chicken, rabbit, green and fava beans. As expected the paella was hearty and tasty. As
an extra bonus, you can watch the chef cook your paella through a window next to the front door. Highly recommend when in Valencia.

• Visited July 2013
Thank you very much by your words. I tell it to my team. Thanks again.
Kirkwood, Missouri
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food, terrible service”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Everything that has been said about the paella here is correct - it is definitely flavourful and probably some of the best. The service, however, was the worst we received in Spain. It left me wondering whether I should have chosen Casa Roberto instead.
The restaurant is housed in what looks like an office building (this wasn't an issue, but just gave it an odd atmosphere during the day) and there were only two other tables in the restaurant when we went. The waitress took our order and then we never saw her again.
We had to chase down the bottle of water we had ordered because she never brought it and, unlike the other two tables, we never received any bread with our meal.
Our waitress stood chatting to a table of what appeared to be her friends for about half an hour and never asked if everything was ok or if we wanted any more drinks (we did). She also falt-out ignored the other table when they had finished their meal.
When she finally came back to give us the check, she had added bread on as an extra charge. We questioned it and she tried to say that it was because we didn't speak Spanish that we didn't understand that this was a mandatory "cover charge", but she reluctantly agreed to remove it from the bill. I understand fully about cover charges and paying for bread (I've had this in several countries) but at least do me the favour of putting the bread on the table for me to look at if you're going to charge me for it! (or simply call it a cover charge and do away with the bread altogether)
She then proceeded to blatantly talk about us to the only other member of staff (I felt sorry for this guy as he'd has to pick up the slack when she was busy chatting to her friends). Because of this we left a bad tip, which I hate doing. But if you're going to treat me like a dumb tourist, or any less of a customer than the locals who were dining in the restaurant, then I reward that accordingly.
If you want good paella but don't mind having medicore or less-than-average service, then you should eat here.

• Visited July 2013
Víctor J V, Gerente at Restaurante Levante Valencia, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear customer,
Receive our apologies. It was never our intention to mislead you or treat you dumb tourist. Apologies again for this. Thank you for rating, despite your experience.
If you back by Valencia, we would be happy to assist you and show you again as we really work.
Best regards
Culver City, California
“Paella Challenge Winner!!!”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

Paella was a not a small part of why I chose to visit Valencia on my last trip to Europe. In my extensive research on the subject, I narrowed the contenders for best paella down to Levante or Casa Roberto, and then I decided to hit them both.

First was lunch at Restaurant Levante (the Valencia location, not the original one outside the city). Jose Andres, a famous chef who's food I really like, proclaimed Levante to be the best paella in the world. My hostel called to make reservations before my arrival and told me they were only open for lunch. I'm not sure if that means they're only ever open for lunch or just the day I happened to be going. It was about a mile from the historical center, and I walked. It is right near the park that runs through the city like a river, quite convenient for biking as well.

Levante is large, sunny, and caters to an upscale and business clientele. Lots of men in suits dining here at lunch. The server was incredulous that I, alone, wanted to order my own paella, which is meant for at least two people and takes 40 minutes to cook. She offered instead a "plate" of paella, sure I'd find that more suitable. But I wanted my own paella! I had to convince her I meant it! I had one single mushroom croquette while I waited, and it was super tasty but tiny. 40 minutes later, I had this huge seafood paella that was stunning, topped with whole and various crustaceans. It was delicious. I eagerly consumed about 2/3 of the pan- something I'm sure she's never seen a solo female diner do before or since. The rest was wrapped up for me. It did not exactly have the famous rice crust socarrat on the bottom of the pan. That made me a little bit sad, but it was so delicious I didn't care. The server told me that the chef was flown to Jose Andres's new restaurant in Las Vegas as a paella consultant. She was very nice, and I received a free coffee.

I happily consumed the leftover for paella that night for dinner at my hostel. The next night I visited the other contender, Casa Roberto. Sadly, I did not care for the flavor of Casa Roberto's paella at all. It has a strange taste almost like cinnamon. It was also greasy with mystery seafood (some round white bits that looked sort of like but did not taste like scallops, not sure if they were fish or actually scallops that were cooked to death).

Levante was far and away the winner of my Paella taste off! I will definitely return if I go back to Valencia! I would also try some of the famous paella places on the beach next time.

(In response to another review lamenting being charged for bread- this is very common in Europe, its a way of doing a cover charge. In Spain and portugal sometimes they will also bring you ham or olives without you ordering, and unless you say no (send it back) you may be charged for it.)

• Visited May 2013
Víctor J V, Gerente at Restaurante Levante Valencia, responded to this review, October 23, 2014
Thank you very much by your words. I think that Casa Roberto could have a bad day . Because many of my clients just tell only nice things about Casa Roberto . I don´t know them personally . But I think they cook great paella Valenciana.
Anyway thanks for your opinion, and for your visit.
Rotonda West, Florida
“Beautiful restaurant, very good Paella”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Would have given this 5 stars but the meat in our Paella was a little dry. The flavor of the rice and vegy's was outstanding. Very nice decor inside. Cleanest bathrooms we have been in while visiting Valencia. They put bread on the table and then charged for it, strange. Overall a good experience. Bus 67 drops you right at the front door.

• Visited February 2013