“Top marks”
Review of Refugio

Refugio
Reserve with
Refugio is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #94 of 3,754 Restaurants in Valencia
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Fusion
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Refugio Restaurante, in the historic quarter of Valencia, is known for its seasonal cooking with high quality ingredients, careful presentation, friendly and informal service and its excellent value for money. All of the dishes are made in-house, including the desserts. The seasonal menu always has a selection of rice, fish and meat dishes and a wide variety of vegetarian options. The ambience is intimate but lively, with two dining rooms. There is a carefully designed wine list and a wide variety of infusions and the restaurant also offers food and wine matching dinners and special menus for groups.
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Went here on my last night in valencia, and it was a case of leaving the best till last. This was easily one of the best meals I have had in a long time. Everything from the service to the food and beer were top notch. I had the mixed seafood with tiger milk starter, and it was divine. It's a cold dish, but the presence of chilli and coriander mean that it has some heat! For mains, the lamb shank was beautifully tender and delicious. I finished with the deconstructed tiramisu, and it was one of my favourite desserts of all time. This restaurant is amazing for food, it presents tried and trusted dishes with extra nuances that elevate them to something else!

3  Thank Divinity123

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Luckily, we have friends in Valencia who recommended this tiny restaurant.

We were greeted by the gregarious Frank who took us through the menu and made some valuable suggestions.

The cooking is very interesting - somewhere between traditional and full-out modern. As a result, the mains were full of unexpected, yet subtle touches that complemented the meat and fish rather than overwhelming them. The red tuna was one of the best pieces of fish that I have ever eaten (and the portion was quite filling as well). Dinner was topped off with a shot of ginger liqueur that Franck said was made especially for the restaurant.

A memorable meal.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

We were staying out of town and parked down at the Ciudad des Artes y Ciencias. We spent the morning walking the Turia park and into the old city, sightseeing and shopping as we went. I had reserved a table for Sunday lunch at 2 which probably wasn't necessary, but I didn't want to miss the chance to try Refugio.

The walk and the lunch made for a wonderful start to our visit to Valencia. My wife and I chose from the prix fixe menu, although we could have ordered a la carte. Or 11 year old shared from our plates. All the dishes we ordered were sublime. I started with the grilled octopus on very thin potato slice. It may sound strange but the potatoes tasted intensely like potatoes. Often I find the taste lacking. My entree was a teriyaki such breast which was large and perfectly cooked to barely medium. It was accompanied by the quinoa mentioned in by previous review, without the phyllo. A sweet xipotle sauce added a pleasant oomph.

Orange cake and sauce, or a semi molten flour less chocolate brownie were the dessert choices, we had one of each and shared back and forth. They complemented each other nicely.

The 15 euro price per three course meal is generally in line with other restaurants. But the food is so far beyond the usual fare that this experience should not be missed. A definite keeper, we would love to return.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

We went to Refugio on the advice of a friend from Valencia & had not seen any of the reviews on Tripadvisor. Unfortunately, we chose to go on the day we were leaving & this left us little time to truly enjoy ourselves. The restaurant does not open for lunch until 2.00 pm & we had to wait until the owner was ready before we could order anything. The place itself is small & basic, with tables very close together. I can imagine this might be a bit too cosy in the evenings, however as we were early, to begin with had the place to ourselves. Lunch was 12€, plus wine, hardly overly expensive. We were delighted with our starter of duck won ton and main course of quinoa with pesto, sun dried tomatoes and olives which was presented in a filo case...really delicious and innovative. The desert of papaya was also very good. The service was friendly and we would definitely go there again for lunch next time we are in Valencia.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Refugio has it all: creatively delicious food, great atmosphere,friendly staff and value for money. If you have only one day in Valencia, make this restaurant the place for lunch or dinner...if you have more time in this beautiful city, you will want to visit Refugio more than once!