“What a nice surprise”
Review of Refugio

Refugio
Reserve with
Refugio is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #87 of 3,787 Restaurants in Valencia
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Fusion
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Refugio Restaurante, in the historic quarter of Valencia, is known for its seasonal cooking with high quality ingredients, careful presentation, friendly and informal service and its excellent value for money. All of the dishes are made in-house, including the desserts. The seasonal menu always has a selection of rice, fish and meat dishes and a wide variety of vegetarian options. The ambience is intimate but lively, with two dining rooms. There is a carefully designed wine list and a wide variety of infusions and the restaurant also offers food and wine matching dinners and special menus for groups.
Reviewed August 30, 2012

When we decided to go to Valencia for the weekend, we started looking for restaurants on the internet and we came across Refugio as one of the best restaurants in Valencia. We got there friday and we though we were at the wrong restaurant, given the "normal" appearance of Refugio. Still we decided to have dinner there and I had the best meal ever. We went for cod fish for starters then I ate the roast pork and my friend ate the tuna dish. Both just incredible. The meal was so good, the owner Paco was so nice and the price so fair we decided to go there Saturday as well. And it was just amazing again. We ate for +/- 70€ (35 per person), drinking wine, ordering whisky at the end and eating dessert. just fantastic. We are waiting for the menu to change to go there again!

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Excellent value for what you pay, Refugio is an enticing well-styled small restaurant down the backstreets of Carmen. The food is different to what you can find elsewhere in Valencia, and the quality to price ratio is startling. I have only ever eaten a la cart, so can't speak for the set menu, however I highly recommend the duck as a main course.

In addition, this is one of the few restaurants I know of in the big V where you can actually bring your own wine if you reserve, which quite frankly makes the value staggering.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

I had such a high expectation for this little restaurant. As you see, on Tripadvisor site, this restaurant is ranked so high. There was no reason for not going there while I was in Valencia, so I did. And I was very disappointed.
We went there for lunch. As soon as we're given the menu, we've told the most of staff on the menu were not available. We had no choice, but choose from set menu.
We had soup and kofftas for the starter, both just ok, nothing special.
For the main, my friend had a noodle dish. Basically it was just stair fried noodles. it was ok, but pretty boring. I was expecting little more than that.
The problem was my main dish. I had fish dish. I asked the waiter about this dish. He told me that it's white fish, grilled and kind of fruits sauce over it. Seafood rice will be on the side. That sounded good, so I decided to have that. In fact, what I received was not it should be.
They said it's grilled fish, but fish was tough and very watery. If they really grilled it, this fish must be frozen fish. Fruits sauce had no flavour. This dish was total disaster, not eatable. After a couple of bites, I couldn't put anymore of this in my mouth, so I left it. It was awful.
The desert was extremely sweet, which we struggled to finish.
To be honest, I really don't understand why people rate this restaurant so high.
The set lunch is 12 euro which sounds good deal, but I don't want to pay 12 euro for that quality of food.You can have something much, much better deal all over in Valencia for lunch.
Poor quality, not creative enough, I was so disappointed.
I guess this restaurant is totally over rated. Food ? Utterly avarage at the best.

4  Thank elstorm
Reviewed August 21, 2012

absolutely superb highly innovative cooking with superb design presentation and flavours. each dish was a picture. the proprietor is very jolly friendly and attentive. the chef is very talented. i would recommend the goat's cheese panacotta and the roast pork

Reviewed July 27, 2012

Friendly attentive staff, fresh and original dishes. A great place to visit to experience some modern spanish cuisine. A great taste experience