“Affordable Quality”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Chicago, Illinois
“Affordable Quality”
Reviewed February 28, 2012

It’s a little hard to truly give an accurate reflection of L’Antina, simply due to the slightly unusual circumstance we found ourselves dining in.

Having conducted a little research, it seemed that L’Antina was certainly a well recommended restaurant, so I booked online a few weeks in advance of our trip to Valencia. I selected a relatively early (9pm) dinner by local standards and on a Wednesday evening, so we hoped for the restaurant to be a little quieter as we settled into our Spanish adventure. Upon arrival, we were not sure if the restaurant was actually open, as there was nobody dining there at all. This became the theme of the entire evening, we had the entire restaurant to ourselves.

So, I cannot comment on the ambiance of the crowd, or the service on a busy evening, however, I can comment on the experience that we enjoyed. The food was excellent. Small plates, with a set menu; which provided a twist on Caesar salad, a Canary Islands grilled cheese dish and Spanish crepes. This was washed down with a fantastic pitcher of Sangria, made on demand. The next two, slightly larger dishes, were fish (hake) on a bed of lentils and a fantastic green curry (with shrimp and pork). The service was fantastic, and we received instant attention (easy when we are the only customers!) and excellent advice about which restaurants to frequent later that week.

I would certainly recommend L’Antina, it’s a little off the main city center (15 minute walk), but worth it. The food was fantastic, the place is clean and modern, the staff very friendly, extremely affordable and the Sangria, delicious! I just hope that you have a few more diners there I order to create a more local and jovial atmosphere!

• Visited February 2012
4 Thank Chicago_Boz

Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom
“If you are in Valencia GO!”
Reviewed October 21, 2011

We struggled to book via trip advisor, so in the end googled the restaurant and were able to book online. Its a little way off the tourist beat but well worth it. I would definitely book before you go because it gets very busy. We arrived at 9pm and the proprietor came to greet us with a warm but slightly worried face. Thankfully, when he realised we had a booking he relaxed and was so warm and hospitable. The staff explained that there was only one fixed price menu. Six courses with wine €25 - what a bargain, and what a treat to be served up a surprise six course meal, which was absolutely delicious. We loved our meal, the staff explained every course to us and offered us plenty of fresh bread throughout the meal. I cannot fault anything. Just go and see for yourself, you won't find better value for money.

• Visited October 2011
10 Thank SusiePie66
London
“Superb meal”
Reviewed August 18, 2011

Fantastic meal, we reserved a table through trip advisor and were extremely happy with the evening. We were a party of six and were offered the house menu of six courses with wine for €25 each. Each course was delicious, food offered would not have been our choice on a full menu, but we were extremely pleased with every mouthfull. The waitor was very good, and made us very welcome. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who visits Valencia.

8 Thank BG_Benjamin
Manchester, United Kingdom
“L'Antina's first review in English! And it's a goody!”
Reviewed July 4, 2011

We visited L'Antina on our short trip to Valencia after seeing the five star reviews given by Spanish speaking customers. I figured that must be a good sign, even though I can't read (or speak) much Spanish, and it proved to be a lucky gamble!

L'Antina is tucked down one of Valencia's unassuming side streets, about a 10 minute walk off the tourist track, and it's worth the trip away from the bustling cafes of the city centre. We turned up at about 9pm on a Wednesday evening and peeked inside to see only one table occupied. Although it didn't look very busy we decided to go with it. As it turned out, they weren't actually open and must have been hosting a private function! After our profuse apologies, the host kindly checked with the chef and announced that they would be happy to accommodate us with a set menu at a very reasonable price. Gladly we accepted and enjoyed a wonderful evening.

The food at L'Antina has a strong Canarian influence, courtesy of the chef's background in that part of the world, but is also modern and perfectly cooked due to his training at a michelin starred restaurant in the Lake District! We enjoyed a cold soup, sausage, fish, pork and a very interesting dessert washed merrily down with a lovely bottle of Northern Spanish chardonnay recommended by the host.

In terms of service I cannot fault our host in the slightest. He spoke fantastic English which was a welcome bonus to us having struggled along with frankly, our very ropey Spanish for the entire two weeks we spent on the Costa Blanca. He was also charming, friendly and very knowledgeable about the food we were eating.

By British standards I would say that this is a fairly formal dining experience and I won't say how much it cost but I can tell you that if L'Antina was plopped into the centre of Manchester where we live, they could happily expect to charge twice as much!

If you're visiting Valencia and want a break from searching for the perfect paella or are just partial to really well cooked food I would urge you to try L'Antina. One word of warning, check their opening times and/or book a table if you can. I have a feeling they may be quite busy on their regular nights!

• Visited June 2011
8 Thank Jesslovesyummyfood
“Excellent fine dining. Definitely recommended!!”
Reviewed July 4, 2011

Phone ahead to check opening times & book a table, and you will not be disappointed! We paid €25 each for a 5 course menu including a bottle of wine between two of us (€20 without wine). The food was excellent, prepared by a chef who trained in a Michelin Star kitchen. We were served courses including soup, chorizo, fish, pork, and dessert, each was perfectly prepared & presented. The waiter explained each course as it was brought to the table, he was very attentive without being intrusive and spoke excellent English.
The food, wine, and service were all of the highest quality. It was one of the most enjoyable and relaxing evenings I've spent in a restaurant. We will definitely go back next time we're in Valencia, it was one of the highlights of our holiday in Spain!

6 Thank WD101