“Simple and cosy”
Review of Restaurante Babalu

Restaurante Babalu
Ranked #501 of 3,625 Restaurants in Valencia
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Welcome to Babalu, a restaurant in the historic center of Valencia, where you will discover a cuisine in true Cuban style Caribbean & Mediterranean.
Reviewed June 3, 2013

This is a small restaurant in a narrow street in the old centre of the city. While many restaurants focus on paella and tapas, here you can eat something else as well like a burrito. Starters are relatively big, main courses a bit small, all together sufficient. Taste is good. Prices are low, like 15-16 euros including a drink. There is a menu too with starter, main and drink for 11E. Wine is relatively expensive at 12E per bottle, you might want to buy your own bottle afterwards in one of the little shops round the corner (prices vary from 2 - 8E there :-)

Staff appears to be only 3 including the cook. Friendly people.

1  Thank Bart565
There are newer reviews for Restaurante Babalu

Reviewed April 16, 2013

My wife and I had dinner here a couple of times from the specials menu and thought it very pleasant. Good choice of dishes, some very interesting, nice relaxed atmospherereasonably priced with friendly staff.

1  Thank roybWarwickshire
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Stopped in during lunch to an empty restaurant and had 2 of their tapas offerings (Chicken fajita's and spicy tuna "balls?").
The waitress was pleasant enough but she was quick to return to an animated conversation she was having with the cook (sitting at the table next to me) as soon as my food arrived.
The tuna was a stuffed, deep fried dish that held flavor only of the cooking oil in which it was prepared. The fajitas were a tortilla sliced into 8 with a little pile of curry strong, stir fried chicken. I didn't finish either dish and, all in with a small beer and espresso, set me back 13euro.
The atmosphere seemed nice (Cuban inspired) but the service and food left me unsatisfied. Considering the other offerings only steps away, you're better off passing on this one.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

My husband and I were in Valencia for one day. Whilst sight seeing we came across the tiny street / alley where Babalu is situated. There are a number of restaurants in the street, but we chose Babalu, as their Menu offered something slightly different to the norm. There is a fusion of spanish; mediterranean and carribbean food styles. There is seating outside or in. We chose outside, as it was lunchtime and a gorgeous day. We went for individual one course dishes from the very varied menu. My husband had pork with squid ink rice and I had chicken with plantain and scented rice. We had a bottle of house white wine. We waited about 20-30 mins for the meals to arrive, but sipped the beautiful white wine, whilst watching the rest of the world go by, and noticing the gorgeous plates of food that were being served to other customers. Our plates arrived and we were not disappointed. Very nicely presented, with lovely garnish on mine, which turned out to be shaven carrot strips, cooked until crisp. The chicken just melted in the mouth, rice was perfect and the flavours were wonderful. My husband's dish was equally as stunning and full of flavours. The meal more than satisfied us. We decided we had definitely made the right choice of restaurant and will go back when next in Valencia. The cost of our meal in total was only 37 euros. Excellent value.

1  Thank Jinty059
Reviewed October 15, 2012

On a previous trip to Spain, my wife and I thought Spanish food was not for us. Babalu changed our minds. The cook was from Argentina and the waiters from Cuba and Colombia.

The food and service were fantastic!!! The daily specials provided a good sampling of an appetizer, main course, and dessert. The cuttle fish, Valencia or seafood paella were deliciousl My wife and I ate there three dinners and a row and wish we had a fourth night in Valencia to eat there.

The first night, we had coconut cake for dessert, and we asked for it every night.

Babalu is named after St. Babalu and provides an almost a religious experience, a small Budda fountain can also be found by cash register.